FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   How is US service vs. CO? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1113838-how-us-service-vs-co.html)

COAIR005 Aug 7, 2010 12:10 pm

How is US service vs. CO?

Hi,

Living in the EWR area, I've always flown CO (on rare occasions DL, JetBlue and once made the mistake of flying Spirit).

Using OP Miles I booked a 50,000 RT reward EWR-CLT-LAX in October (CO Y was the same cost in miles, so I figure I'll take the connection and do F for the same "price".) Being a "US virgin" I have a few questions:

1. How is the friendliness of their staff - So far the only interaction I had with them is calling their RES Center to assign seats. They were based overseas and NOT helpful at all!)

2. How is their F service (EWR-CLT and CLT-LAX) - Food, Drinks, Entertainment?

3. Do they have WiFi? Is it free for F?

4. Anything else I should know - like why do they call is "US-Scare-Ways"?

thanks

rachlm927 Aug 7, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi - I was Silver Elite w/Continental traveling out of EWR, but when I moved to Raleigh, I tried keeping up my CO status by attempting connections via EWR which was near impossible with their delays. So after a year or so of traveling any airline and giving up status, last year I committed to US Air.

I have to say of all the airlines I have tried past few years (delta, jet blue, air tran and AA) I feel that US Air is closest to what I was use to with Continental.

1. I never call so I cant comment of that. Everyone in-person has been kind enough, with a few bad seeds - just as I experienced with CO.

2. CO wins in this cat. I do mostly regional travel, less than 2 hour flights. I have never been served a meal or even nuts or a cookie in first on US. Just a basket of chips/bars/etc for me to choose from. Again, it might be a legnth of flight rule, but CO and AA always serves a meal or good light snack. The FA does come around to refill drinks/ask if OK enough.

3. US is just now starting with GOGO wireless. Atleast that is my experience. I have yet to be on a flight with that offered yet. (next month will be my first)

4. I have not experienced any issues that would justify the "US-Scare-Ways" name. If you listen to freq travelers enough, doesnt every airline have a nick name as such?

Overall, so far, (knock on wood) I am pleased with US Air. For my little silver status, I feel I am upgraded to first the same amount (half or more of the time).

If you have any other questions I can try to answer. Good luck!

COAIR005 Aug 7, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

mith Aug 8, 2010 2:55 am

2. How is their F service (EWR-CLT and CLT-LAX) - Food, Drinks, Entertainment?

3 hour flight: we got sandwich or salad , plus free drinks incl booze

3. Do they have WiFi? Is it free for F?

on the new Airbus planes - yes. It does cost like 5 or 10 bucks per day, i believe

ChinaShrek Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm

One of the big complaints about CO appears to be their stinginess with upgrades for elites. How are US elite upgrades at the lower levels?

formeraa Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 14725982)
One of the big complaints about CO appears to be their stinginess with upgrades for elites. How are US elite upgrades at the lower levels?

Depends on the route. If you're on an elite-heavy route, then it can be nearly impossible. On the other hand, when I was a Silver, I got upgrades about 65% of the time and had extra row seating the rest of the time.