Community
Wiki Posts
Search

possible to change connection? SAN(PHX)-PHL-ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

possible to change connection? SAN(PHX)-PHL-ZRH

Usair first level customer service says there is nothing they can do, but I wanted to see if the experts here have some suggestions:

My family of 4 booked SAN-ZRH via PHL flight for this summer (by phone). Without really realizing, we were booked on a 6:30 am flight to PHL via PHX (US 250) There is a direct flight also leaving SAN at 6:30 am going direct to PHL (US 700) (which I thought I was booked on). US 700 is obviously preferable to cut down on what will be a very long day in planes with a 8 and 5 year old. Would like to have time to run around PHL, stretch, eat, etc.

I figured I would live with it, but we recently got word that US 250 flight changed times, and our connection time in PHL is down another 20 mins or so to 1hr 20 min. I know this is still within US guidelines, which I think is 1 hr. for international flights. However, I would like to try to use this an an excuse to get us onto the direct flight instead of the one stop.

Customer service rep said no way, no how, except to rebook entire flight at current cost. Anyone know if there is another way to approach US about this?
If nothing can be done in advance, would there be any chance of changing the morning of the flight, if there are still at least 4 seats on the direct?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
You may be out of luck. I've successfully argued short-connection time to change itineraries several times but never with an 80-minute connection. There is no immigration/customs to worry about in PHL and your baggage will have already been dealt with at SAN, so it's going to be hard to argue that those 20 minutes will make or break you. I think the day-of change might be tough to wrangle, too, as it's not officially a "move up"-- you are leaving no earlier than your original flight, nor are you arriving any earlier. It's definitely worth calling and asking again, as a sympathetic agent may be more willing to bend the rules, but if you don't get the answer you want on the second try, you may never get it.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the comments. The frustrating thing is that if I look these flights up at US Air right now right now for my day, US 250 and US 700 to PHL are being sold for same price and it even looks like my flight- US 250- is currently more full. So it seems logical to switch us to US 700. I just need to reach someone who will see logic instead of reading me back the rules.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
It's not about logic and it shouldn't be; the rules are supposed to produce consistency and predictability. When any customer-facing employee in any industry goes against the rules, there's always a risk that the same customer will want the same thing and respond with a "you did it for me last time" when the next request gets denied. One of the biggest complaints about US is the inconsistency in all areas. The less leeway folks are given, the more consistent things become.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Because you have 4 people it might not be an option but they might be able to change your routing at the airport especially if the SAN-PHX flight is oversold. It is worth a shot, the worst they can do is say no.

I would rather go SAN-PHX-PHL for the extra routing and miles but I can understand you wanting to go direct because of the kids
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Can the OP do the $150 per ticket change fee? I know it stinks but it may be nice to have that piece of mind know than try and wait it out until the day of.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

on the change fee, was told $250 plus the current higher price of the tickets, so no go on that. On the "logic" argument, I understand that you don't want to give too much flexibility to first line customer service, since that can result in chaos. But with lots of companies, there are sometimes ways to reach people who have a little more authority to use discretion, or sometimes different ways to approach things. Was hoping to find this with USair.

Bottom line is that I am fully expecting a hellish long day stuck in planes with kids, but it would be nice to have two less hours in the tube and two more hours of "freedom" in PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.