Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 29, 14, 5:29 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 13, 10:45 am   #15841

Programs: US CP, IC Gold
Booked the following on Monday for 2x Pax for travel in Nov.
120k each, 166$ in taxes. Was the easiest int'l booking i've done in years.

MBJ-CLT-EWR (US F)
JFK-ICN (OZ F...new suites!)
ICN-MNL (OZ C...destination)
MNL-SIN (SQ F....23 hours in SIN)
SIN-BKK (SQ C....Stopover)
BKK-FRA (TG F...A380!)
FRA-EWR (UA F)
JFK-PTY-MBJ
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:22 am   #15842

Programs: Aeroplan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefg1007 View Post

MBJ-CLT-EWR (US F)
BKK-FRA (TG F...A380!)
FRA-EWR (UA F)
JFK-PTY-MBJ
Good deal ! I never notice that their award chart for travel from Caribbean to Asia is so good.
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:38 am   #15843

Programs: US CP, IC Gold
Preciously why im buying a one-way ticket and spending a day in MBJ to start off the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choupeo View Post
Good deal ! I never notice that their award chart for travel from Caribbean to Asia is so good.
Old Apr 17, 13, 8:04 pm   #15844

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
I saw several pages back on this thread that US is restricting LH awards after 31OCT2013. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Has anyone successfully booked LH awards in the past week? I will be redeeming an award soon to Australia and two of the legs are in LH C class between GVA and FRA and wanted to know if I will have an issue with this. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 13, 8:14 pm   #15845

Programs: DL, CX
This can't be true, as I and my wife booked two business class seats on Lufthansa using US Air miles last week.
Outbound ICN-MUC-AMS on Dec 26,2013
Inbound DUS-FRA-ICN on Jan 10, 2014

Whenever US agents can't find seemingly available partner seats, there are always hasty speculations over the reason. Imho, in almost all case, the problem lies in USDM, not partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
Yes, there is. No more LH availabilty at all for US after 31OCT2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbombo View Post
I saw several pages back on this thread that US is restricting LH awards after 31OCT2013. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Has anyone successfully booked LH awards in the past week? I will be redeeming an award soon to Australia and two of the legs are in LH C class between GVA and FRA and wanted to know if I will have an issue with this. Thanks.

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Apr 17, 13 at 8:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 13, 11:29 pm   #15846

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer View Post
This can't be true, as I and my wife booked two business class seats on Lufthansa using US Air miles last week.

Whenever US agents can't find seemingly available partner seats, there are always hasty speculations over the reason. Imho, in almost all case, the problem lies in USDM, not partners.

Quote:
US is blocking LH F, LH C shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 18, 13, 6:42 am   #15847

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer View Post

Quote:
Thanks, will attempt to try to get this booked this weekend and will advise my outcome. I would think if this would have been an issue, we would be hearing much more about it (on FT, with bloggers, etc).
Old Apr 18, 13, 7:56 am   #15848

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefg1007 View Post

MBJ-CLT-EWR (US F)
BKK-FRA (TG F...A380!)
FRA-EWR (UA F)
JFK-PTY-MBJ
how did u get this for so cheap?
Old Apr 18, 13, 8:29 am   #15849
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpark9 View Post
how did u get this for so cheap?
post #15842
Old Apr 18, 13, 9:49 am   #15850

Programs: US-SP; AA-EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
US is blocking LH F, LH C shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
Thanks, will attempt to try to get this booked this weekend and will advise my outcome. I would think if this would have been an issue, we would be hearing much more about it (on FT, with bloggers, etc).
Ok - I just retried my original booking for DUB-FRA on Jan 2, 2014. As I mentioned upthread, every source (ANA, UA, etc...) show plenty of availability for this flight. Chairman's desk said no availability for the entire day.

I then decided to check out some additional data points. First, I tried the same route (DUB-FRA) on October 30, 2013 and the agent was able to see the same availability as was showing up on ANA and UA - plenty of C and Y seats available.

Then I checked for November 2, 2013. Once again, ANA and UA show plenty of availability but the agent said nothing was available for that day.

Seems there may be something up with that October 31st date and award seats on LH being blocked. Hopefully this is just temporary but I'm afraid it may not be.
Old Apr 18, 13, 4:24 pm   #15851

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevoinva View Post
Ok - I just retried my original booking for DUB-FRA on Jan 2, 2014. As I mentioned upthread, every source (ANA, UA, etc...) show plenty of availability for this flight. Chairman's desk said no availability for the entire day.

I then decided to check out some additional data points. First, I tried the same route (DUB-FRA) on October 30, 2013 and the agent was able to see the same availability as was showing up on ANA and UA - plenty of C and Y seats available.

Then I checked for November 2, 2013. Once again, ANA and UA show plenty of availability but the agent said nothing was available for that day.

Seems there may be something up with that October 31st date and award seats on LH being blocked. Hopefully this is just temporary but I'm afraid it may not be.
Yep, I just had the same issue here. Trying to book an award USA to GVA with a stopover there then on to SYD and return back to NYC. Only two segments are on LH (FRA-GVA) however I have now spoken to 3 US agents who say there is no availability the entire day on any of the LH flights. Both UA.com and ANA shows that it's wide open in all classes. Travel is for March 2014. They can find every other flight for this trip except for the LH segments. This is a pain. It will add a lot of other unnecessary segments to this trip in order to redeem.
Old Apr 18, 13, 4:51 pm   #15852
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Quote:
Yep, I just had the same issue here. Trying to book an award USA to GVA with a stopover there then on to SYD and return back to NYC. Only two segments are on LH (FRA-GVA) however I have now spoken to 3 US agents who say there is no availability the entire day on any of the LH flights. Both UA.com and ANA shows that it's wide open in all classes. Travel is for March 2014. They can find every other flight for this trip except for the LH segments. This is a pain. It will add a lot of other unnecessary segments to this trip in order to redeem.
does the same block apply to LX flight? they should have half a dozen that day on the FRA-GVA route?
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:04 pm   #15853

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
does the same block apply to LX flight? they should have half a dozen that day on the FRA-GVA route?
no, the block doesn't apply to LX (yet). However, there do not seem to be any LX flights available for award travel yet on those days (March 8 and 10) according to ANA and UA.com. LH is the only one with availability but US can't see it! Uggh!
Old Apr 19, 13, 1:00 am   #15854
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is this something new:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

Quote:
Award travel on Royal Jordanian and Virgin Atlantic must originate from a valid US Airways operated city
Old Apr 19, 13, 1:23 am   #15855

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Whether new or not, the following restrictions also apply:

4) Award redemption on Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian is temporarily unavailable
5) Award redemption on Virgin Atlantic is only available in economy class

http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cach...wardtravel.pdf