Miles Expiration Date for USAirways - How do you tell?

Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
It is really a very poor customer service issue that they dont post the miles expiration date clearly on the web page. As pointed out above both AA and UA do this very clearly. I got an email a couple weeks ago that my miles were about to expire. To their credit, it was pretty far in advance. I had a shuttle flight coming up anyway. I usually credit those to UA but I didnt need it to qualify as 1K on UA this year so I credited it to my US account. I have about 165K miles so I need to figure out what to do with them. But US should really post this information clearly on the web site. They would have a much better PR case when the miles do expire if they started doing that.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
It is really a very poor customer service issue that they dont post the miles expiration date clearly on the web page.
It is also really a very poor customer service issue that they cut over to a website that hey knew to be very buggy with some very basic functions not working well such as displaying all available flights during a shop. Although having a posted expiration date would be nice I'd rather the IT department focus on fixing the basic functionality issues with the "new and improved" USAirways.com first. Until then it's not a huge inconvenience to look up your last activity date and count forward 18 months.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:07 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
From my understanding of the rules, they expire in 2 years, but continental has never enforced it but they can at any time they choose to do so.

Originally Posted by fwfdan
So far CO miles do not expire.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
It is also really a very poor customer service issue that they cut over to a website that hey knew to be very buggy with some very basic functions not working well such as displaying all available flights during a shop. Although having a posted expiration date would be nice I'd rather the IT department focus on fixing the basic functionality issues with the "new and improved" USAirways.com first. Until then it's not a huge inconvenience to look up your last activity date and count forward 18 months.
I suppose. But since I dont fly them any more the other issues arent as important to me.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
So far CO miles do not expire.
Originally Posted by ffI
From my understanding of the rules, they expire in 2 years, but continental has never enforced it but they can at any time they choose to do so.
From CO.com:

OnePass at a Glance

Features of the OnePass program:

* Free membership
* 5,000 mile activation bonus after you take your first paid flight as a OnePass member
* More than 500 reward travel destinations worldwide
* Miles that never expire*
* An award-winning Elite program with three levels of benefits
* Travel rewards starting at just 10,000 miles for a one-way, one-class upgrade
* A global network of OnePass partners, including airlines, hotels, car hire companies, credit cards and more
* 50% bonus miles for travel on BusinessFirst fares**

* Miles currently have no expiration date; however Continental Airlines reserves the right to impose expiration limits or terminate the OnePass program, plus terminating your ability to claim rewards. If you do not have activity in your OnePass account for a period of 18 months, Continental Airlines may close your account.
Thus far I haven't heard of anyone who has had their account closed and/or miles deleted due to account inactivity.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I suppose. But since I dont fly them any more the other issues arent as important to me.
Then please pray for US poor souls that still do!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
to be clear, do redemptions still count as qualifying activity to keep miles alive?

my wife no longer flys much, and even less often on USAir, but she's near a free flight so I'd like to keep the account alive since the next x-country flight will get her a ticket.

We got a notice saying her miles would soon expire and to redeam miles for magazines in december, subscribed to the cheapest one to keep the account alive. However, yesterday I got a second notice saying her miles will expire and I need to use the miles for magazines.
Is this just a standard mailer that was already queued in the system or did the redemption in december not reset the clock on her account? The redemption from the account for the miles shows in her DM account page, so I'm not sure if further redemption is really needed.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: None
The best way to keep miles from expiring is probably set an "anniversary" event and buy something inexpensive on that date every year (assuming that your wife hasn't flown or otherwise earned miles in the previous 6 months). That way you don't have to worry about delays in purchases posting to an account leading to headaches getting the miles reinstated.

In your specific case as long as the miles for your purchase eventually post with a date before the 18 months are up you should either keep the miles active or get them reinstated if necessary. If for some reason the date shown when they post is beyond the 18 months, I hope you kept some proof of when you made the purchase.

Jim
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
this was a milage redemption, not a purchase. The 400 miles for the magazine have already been removed from her account (so they posted), but since I got the second notice saying that the miles are still slated to expire, I'm not sure if the second notice was incorrect or if redemptions don't count.

To change the scenario a little bit. Let's say I have 100K miles originally slated to expire on 1/2/2010. I redeem 60K for a free flight on 1/1/2010. Do the remaining 40K expire on 1/2/2010 or has the clock reset and now expire around 7/1/2011?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: None
Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said that your wife rarely fly's and is near having enough miles for a free trip I assumed she hadn't had activity in her account for nearly 18 months and received the notices for her account.

To be clear, are you saying your wife's miles are about to expire but she's had a redemption and purchase recently in her account recently?

Redemption does count as account activity but only for the account the miles are redeemed from. The same is true for miles earned - they only count as activity for the account number given when the miles are earned. The only way way to keep miles in an account "alive" is to redeem or earn miles in that account.

Jim
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remarkably, your mileage expiration date is STILL not listed on your DM account when you log in! This is truly crazy -- and can be a bit mean. It's not like they're really trying to hide it from you, because they send you a monthly statement with the date listed (I guess you could opt out of these emails) and they send you a separate notice a few months from your expiration.

In my family, we're CO (soon to be UA) elites and we credit our general Star Alliance mileage there. I did the free "toolbar" bonus sign up (you can find a thread in this forum) and the necessary credit did post about a month later. I went to check our new expiration dates, and it's just not there. I guess I'll wait for my next monthly statement to see that new date, and try to make a note of it.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by iahphx
Remarkably, your mileage expiration date is STILL not listed on your DM account when you log in! This is truly crazy -- and can be a bit mean. It's not like they're really trying to hide it from you, because they send you a monthly statement with the date listed (I guess you could opt out of these emails) and they send you a separate notice a few months from your expiration.

In my family, we're CO (soon to be UA) elites and we credit our general Star Alliance mileage there. I did the free "toolbar" bonus sign up (you can find a thread in this forum) and the necessary credit did post about a month later. I went to check our new expiration dates, and it's just not there. I guess I'll wait for my next monthly statement to see that new date, and try to make a note of it.
Sign up for AwardWallet at awardwallet.com and the Dividend Miles expiration date will show up in your AwardWallet account.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Have to agree that this is a big minus... . I am building a spreadsheet tracking loyalty programs for myself and not-so-organized partner... DL, AA, UA all show it.... US - nope.
Or you could use awardwallet, gomiles, miletracker, Yodles, or the myriad other tracking programs on the web. I know that AwardWallet does, and I suspect the others do also, display your expiration data, either from the website or calculated. (D'oh, looks like I'm not the first to suggest this...)

I am curious how this is "mean". I'd chalk it up to lazy/sloppy/not thinking.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Or you could use awardwallet, gomiles, miletracker, Yodles, or the myriad other tracking programs on the web. I know that AwardWallet does, and I suspect the others do also, display your expiration data, either from the website or calculated. (D'oh, looks like I'm not the first to suggest this...)

I am curious how this is "mean". I'd chalk it up to lazy/sloppy/not thinking.
Those are not programs that the average traveller -- or even an average frequent flyer -- is likely to sign-up for.

US should just put your mileage expiration date in your account info when you sign in. It's a no-brainer, and it's just wrong for them to omit it (even if they're just being sloppy or lazy).
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:12 pm

Someone else was complaining about this the other day in another thread. US sends out the monthly email statements and it's clearly stated in the statement when the date of last travel occurred and when the miles expire. Yes, it would be nice if it was also on the web site, but it's not as if they are hiding it since it's included in every e-statement.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
Dividend miles expiration dates

I have gone to the DM website and cannot find the DM expiration dates.
Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.