Advice about about filing a D.O.T. complaint

Old May 30, 2006, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Advice about about filing a D.O.T. complaint

I have a quick question. Im really angry about the delay that hapened last week in PHL, and the way we were treated there by most of customer service. I am considering filing a complaint with the D.O.T, but first I need some advice.
1) Where/how do I file a complaint w DOT? Phone, mail, web?
2) My complaint would be about a delay of a plane, they would not hold for us, our connection left PHL gate at 9:27, our plane got in PHL gate at 9:27. It was a short walk from B6 to B15. The connection was already delayed from its scheduled 8PM departure. The delay was related to ATC closure of inbound traffic, but the essence of our missing connex (not holding the plane for 2 minutes, is what I want to center my complaint on) No compensation at all, because technically it was an ATC problem, but in the end it was fault of the people working the gate, customer service, and miscommunication on the part of US Airways. Is this worthwile to report this to DOT, if not what kind of complaints are suitable to be filed with DOT?
3) If I do decide to report to DOT, should I send a threat email to US Airways first ie: Hello my name is Kinglobjaw, my DM # is 7A777A7, heres the whole situation. And then something along the lines of I request some kind of compensation or I will be filling this with the DOT. <<END HERE>>
Basically, I want some kind of compensation for each of us 3 pax flying there. Those US Airways vouchers for future flights I was thinking of.

I have not had problems/delays with US Airways ever since I started flying with US in 2003. This is the first time ever, something like this has occured to me and my family, and the response from the staff was just horrible, down to the laughing/rude comments made my US employees about us missing our connection by 2 minutes. Please help me out with this matter, as I have never filed a DOT report ever. Thanks!
Old May 30, 2006, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I have a quick question. Im really angry about the delay that hapened last week in PHL, and the way we were treated there by most of customer service. I am considering filing a complaint with the D.O.T, but first I need some advice.
1) Where/how do I file a complaint w DOT? Phone, mail, web?
2) My complaint would be about a delay of a plane, they would not hold for us, our connection left PHL gate at 9:27, our plane got in PHL gate at 9:27. It was a short walk from B6 to B15. The connection was already delayed from its scheduled 8PM departure. The delay was related to ATC closure of inbound traffic, but the essence of our missing connex (not holding the plane for 2 minutes, is what I want to center my complaint on) No compensation at all, because technically it was an ATC problem, but in the end it was fault of the people working the gate, customer service, and miscommunication on the part of US Airways. Is this worthwile to report this to DOT, if not what kind of complaints are suitable to be filed with DOT?
3) If I do decide to report to DOT, should I send a threat email to US Airways first ie: Hello my name is Kinglobjaw, my DM # is 7A777A7, heres the whole situation. And then something along the lines of I request some kind of compensation or I will be filling this with the DOT. <<END HERE>>
Basically, I want some kind of compensation for each of us 3 pax flying there. Those US Airways vouchers for future flights I was thinking of.

I have not had problems/delays with US Airways ever since I started flying with US in 2003. This is the first time ever, something like this has occured to me and my family, and the response from the staff was just horrible, down to the laughing/rude comments made my US employees about us missing our connection by 2 minutes. Please help me out with this matter, as I have never filed a DOT report ever. Thanks!
Something tells me you have no grounds to file any kind of a complaint. If a flight was supposed to leave at 8 p.m. and they left at 9:27, they are under no obligation to hold it for you. If there were sufficient pax that were 2 minutes late, they would have held it. What miscommunication are youreferring to?

If there was a poor customer service attitude...that's another thing - but first justify why you think that they should have held it for you...
Old May 30, 2006, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-Gold, DL-Flying Colonel, CO-Platinum, HP-Platinum, US-Chairman's Preferred.
King-

I agree with STS on this one. The DOT does not care, and there is no regulation requiring, a carrier to wait longer when TOD is -1:27.

The big problem with all USA carriers now is that their blind pursuit of 100% load factors makes it impossible for them to recover from flight irregularities of any size. It many times takes US over 24 hour hours to recover from several mis-connects because of lack of availability of alternative seats. They will not rebook you on another carrier that has seats unless you force them to, for instance.

If THAT occured in your case ("I'm sorry Mr. CP, we don't have a seat to SEA for 3 days"), that is definitely deserving of a DOT complaint. Don't bother sending anything at all to Tempe, though. That is a waste of time. Complaint letters are only being responded to with form letters, generally in 30 to 60 days as made clear by all other posters on that subject.
Old May 30, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is the web page that describes how to file a complaint:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
Old May 30, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks hoobly, I will look into it.

As to reply to sts603 and phoenixflyer, i understand theyre trying to get it out ASAP, but hold it for 2 minutes. 2 minutes, please there were 3 of us! And I was confirmed in F cabin! I was rebooked into coach the next day!
Old May 30, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
While it is not their policy to hold a flight for 3 people, they have been known to do so for 10 or more, as exemplified in my flight from CLT to LGA last Friday night. Perhaps the difference was that I connected in CLT rather than PHL as well.

King, I have to agree with the others that your complaint is likely without merit--especially since the initial reason for the delays is weather or ATC. ATC is attrocious in PHL--but is limited because of its position below arrival and departure corridors for NYC, DC, and BOS. There is just so much airspace available.
Old May 30, 2006, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-Gold, DL-Flying Colonel, CO-Platinum, HP-Platinum, US-Chairman's Preferred.
Thanks hoobly, I will look into it.

As to reply to sts603 and phoenixflyer, i understand theyre trying to get it out ASAP, but hold it for 2 minutes. 2 minutes, please there were 3 of us! And I was confirmed in F cabin! I was rebooked into coach the next day!
King-

I hear you. It would have ticked me off as well. All of my commercial flying has had only one glitch in the last two months, however. As I said earlier, the remarkably HUGE problem is the non-availability of seats on the next 7 flights to where you are going...as you found. Then, when there is a seat it is a middle seat whether you are a CP or not.

There are too many moving parts (maximum crew service hours, destination weather, airport operating hours, down stream connections, crew rest requirements, etc.) to allow the a/c to wait in SOME cases...but not all.
Old May 30, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Three years of incident-free flying and you're running to the DOT the first time things don't go the way you wish, said things being complicated by weather and ATC?

If you were laughed at or experienced poor attitudes, then complain to US. I don't think your unhappiness rises to DOT-level.

Sure, it'd be nice if they held the plane for you but when do they stop doing it and let the flight go? They could have kept holding and holding for each next delayed flight just arriving. It could have been held for hours, say nothing of inconvenience for those waiting the arrival of that aircraft so that they might go somewhere. (And if it was held for hours, would you be writing the DOT about the delay after it was held for you and then for others after you?)

And unless you paid for those FC seats (presumably not, since you said you were confirmed into them), I'd drop that line. It will have no weight with the airline or the government.

Sorry the line was drawn at your inconvenience.
Old May 30, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
... the essence of our missing connex (not holding the plane for 2 minutes, is what I want to center my complaint on)...
Last week we (2 CPs) found ourselves in the same situation when our inbound CLT was delayed due to weather. We missed our AVL connection by a few minutes (less than 5, I'd say), and it was the last flight of the day. Slightly miffed, yes, but it's all part of the "joy of traveling"

We learned something, though - that there are kind folks when all is not going well. We found an airport chain motel that offers $34.99 rate to distressed pax, and the shuttle driver went beyond the call of duty (with permission from the night manager) to transport us to the nearest Waffle House for a late snack as their restaurant was already closed for the night. So the next time we get stranded in CLT, we know where to go!
Old May 30, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by kudzu
So the next time we get stranded in CLT, we know where to go!

Where did you stay?
Old May 30, 2006, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Where did you stay?
BW Airport Inn, cnr Little Rock Rd and I-85. Their regular rate is something like $89, so their distress pax rate is quite a bargain.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Unfortunately travelers get very selfish, especially on misconnections.

So as a gate agent, I must decide and decide quickly: do I hold a plane for 3 inbound passengers and cause 50 to miss their connections, or do i get the plane out and work with the 3 pax when they show up.

Also, if it was a mechanical or delay within USAirways' control, then you should be awarded some level of compensation.

Also, upgrade F seats mean nothing. You will be rebooked as your VCR shows your ticketed cabin. If upgrade seats are open, fantastic. But i've seen agents get fired for booking in revenue first class when they were only ticketed for coach.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
Unfortunately travelers get very selfish, especially on misconnections.

So as a gate agent, I must decide and decide quickly: do I hold a plane for 3 inbound passengers and cause 50 to miss their connections, or do i get the plane out and work with the 3 pax when they show up.

Also, if it was a mechanical or delay within USAirways' control, then you should be awarded some level of compensation.

Also, upgrade F seats mean nothing. You will be rebooked as your VCR shows your ticketed cabin. If upgrade seats are open, fantastic. But i've seen agents get fired for booking in revenue first class when they were only ticketed for coach.

Were talking 2 minutes here. The plane was already 1 hour 27 min delayed, it wouldnt make a difference if it was 1 hour 29 min delayed. The people would have made connections or they wouldnt have within those 2 minutes. We would have. Lastly, Im gonna go on the facts. According to usairways.com, the inbound arrived at 9:27 PM, and our connection left 9:38 PM thats what usairways.com flight status has said. Now, I can say. Hey we were at our connecting gate a 9:29 PM, and the flight departed at 9:38PM, why wasnt our plane there. In addition, this was the last flight departing to LAS. If it is the last flight out, they have to hold it. Lastly let me reiterate. 2 minutes, 120 seconds. Whatever you want to call it. Its 2 minutes. Come on, whats the matter with you US Airways. Will be atleast writing Doug, and will consider a DOT report. But I will be getting something out of this. Plus you CLT people are lucky to get a cheap hotel for 39. They found a hotel for US 30 miles from EWR, and no transportation. Youve got to be kidding me. We had to pay 217 for a night at The Renaissance PHL. A hotel near EWR, youve honestly got to be kidding me.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
The DOT doesn't really care what's in the letter. If it's a criticism of the an airline (domestic), the complaint will be charged against that carrier and published two to three months later. The report is distributed to the public, media and other interested parties. The DOT takes no regulatory or enforcement action against the carrier; they essentially run a monthly polling service (the department compiles compliments too).

If you have a complaint, I think it's very worthwhile complaining to the DOT.
Old May 30, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Were talking 2 minutes here. The plane was already 1 hour 27 min delayed, it wouldnt make a difference if it was 1 hour 29 min delayed.
King -

One thing you may not have considered is how close was the crew to going illegal. FAA duty regs are clear on the amount of time that flight crews can work per day, and sometimes, 2 minutes is all of the difference in the world. If the crew goes illegal for that 2 minutes, then all the pax on the aircraft are inconvenienced, not just the 3 of you.

And one other note - you've been pretty lucky if this is the first time in three years that you've been inconvenienced like that. I'd look at it as every now and then, you're due for something like this to happen - and you can either react with grace, or with something else.

I'd suggest you send a polite complaint letter to US and see where it goes. Hopefully they'll respond to you, and perhaps give you a fuller explanation of what happened. If you want to copy the FAA or DOT, by all means do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.