Advice about about filing a D.O.T. complaint

Old May 31, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Did you really ask for a cart because you were carrying 25 lbs? Aren't you a teenager? You might want to think about some exercise.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphy
Did you really ask for a cart because you were carrying 25 lbs? Aren't you a teenager? You might want to think about some exercise.
^ And maybe a lighter laptop than the 10 pound beast.

10 pounds? That ain't a laptop, it's a desktop.

Not a single one of the 17 enumerated points entitles the OP's mom to compensation, but one can only imagine why the phone agent would readily agree to do something US is not required to do (provide some vouchers).
Old May 31, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
KING.........there is NO LOGICAL reason for you to ever have to fly through PHL since you live in ORD. Even though I'm in PIT, I ain't backtracking east when I have to go west.

You've learned a valuable lesson that every member in FT who flies USAirways regularly via PHL. DON'T DO IT!! AVOID IT. God forebid if you have an international flight make sure you have lots of time between connections.

At 16 years old, you have a lot of years of flying ahead of you. Learn how to go with the flow now our you're never going to enjoy it in the future.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-Gold, DL-Flying Colonel, CO-Platinum, HP-Platinum, US-Chairman's Preferred.
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Yup, McFlyPHL my Mom was angry as hell and IS one helluva lady! She just called up Tempe, AZ, I gave her a special #, I found on the internet. She called them up, the lady apologized, said it was a misunderstanding in the system. They will reimburse us for the hotel in Philly, and we will get some compensation a la those US Airways vouchers (I believe they are $50 dollars per person) My mom was nice, but she did mention she would contact the DOT otherwise. Contrary to what most of you said...
Hey, gotta give US some credit for doing something even though as I said in my earlier post it is not my opinion that you had a cause of action. They did more than DL did to a group of us on paid CDG-JFK F Fares a few years ago, when they refused to get us a hotel, cab, meal vouchers or anything else (the entire F cabin) after we were diverted to YUL because of what DL called weather but the Captain called light fueling at CDG. Even letters to the infamous smily faced Leroy Mullin did no good. I have not flown DL since, nor has anybody in our company or my family for the past 3 years. DL thinks they won.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC-A900/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

ive hated DL since my first flight with them!
Old May 31, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: US NW EK
Some people just really like to complain I've noticed since working in this industry. And some people really feel that it's just all about them, they seem to have lost a lack of compassion for other people in this world.

So King say your flight waited two minutes for you and for some reason because of that two minutes it got delayed further and caused 50 other people to miss their connections would you feel bad? Would you personally reimburse all those people for this hotel stay and their inconveince? US did not violate thier Contract of Carriage at all in this situation. I would just get over it and write it off as a learning experience. There are soooo many more important things in life to worry about, you will hopefully learn this as you get older.
Old May 31, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
king,

did your Avis Preferred status come in handy for you in PHL?

I know that on bad weather days its been faster for me to drive to NY than to fly from PHL :-)

Oh, lesson learned, or I hope so. Backtracking is OK as long as you have nothing else to do with your time. I've done it, i'll admit it. I've flown to Chicago to get to Florida... and i've been stuck in Chicago on those Florida connections.

But that's when the ladies in the Red Carpet Club would come to the rescue and help me out, or show me where they hide the sofas.
Old May 31, 2006, 1:38 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Exclamation

Let me be crystal clear on this:

The next person who posts anything about another poster instead of the topic of this thread will get a nonstop F seat to the cornfield.
Old May 31, 2006, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A380US
Some people just really like to complain I've noticed since working in this industry. And some people really feel that it's just all about them, they seem to have lost a lack of compassion for other people in this world.

So King say your flight waited two minutes for you and for some reason because of that two minutes it got delayed further and caused 50 other people to miss their connections would you feel bad? Would you personally reimburse all those people for this hotel stay and their inconveince? US did not violate thier Contract of Carriage at all in this situation. I would just get over it and write it off as a learning experience. There are soooo many more important things in life to worry about, you will hopefully learn this as you get older.

Hmmm, lets take a look. Its 9:27 PM. All other flights are canceled, and all the Europe flight have departed. There are 3 departing flights left tonight, the flight to LAS, the 11:XX PM to DCA, and one other late flight to CLT. Most of the airport is empty, most a ton of people in line to Special Services. I can see how that flight would have been delayed with all that heavy traffic , and 2 minutes here could have saved 3 passengers connections, and who else was connecting to the LAS flight. Well now US, gets to pay for our hotel and give us vouchers that will make us pay less for US Airways to transport us to our destination. Bottom line is 2 minutes would have not destroyed anyone connections or the departure, but 2 minutes destroyed our connection. Im not complaining, and I do understand these things happen, and I could care less, its just the manner US handled it is definately not worth an A&B certificate.
Old May 31, 2006, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
king,

did your Avis Preferred status come in handy for you in PHL?

I know that on bad weather days its been faster for me to drive to NY than to fly from PHL :-)

Oh, lesson learned, or I hope so. Backtracking is OK as long as you have nothing else to do with your time. I've done it, i'll admit it. I've flown to Chicago to get to Florida... and i've been stuck in Chicago on those Florida connections.

But that's when the ladies in the Red Carpet Club would come to the rescue and help me out, or show me where they hide the sofas.
No, my Avis Pref didnt come in handry in PHL. Since you know PHL so well, you should by now at least know many hotels have shuttles. Now, my Avis Pref did come in handy in Palm Springs, as I my convertible was waiting for me in front of the airport.

Why does everyone call this back tracking, this was only a connection with the cheapest routing available at the time of booking. Given that I was actually flying, getting away from Chicago, becoming minutes closer to my vacation, earning miles... LOTS more miles, getting F class upgrades, and getting closer to next years elite status, I see this all as progress! If youre calling this backtracking, what words do you use do describe a mileage run?
Old May 31, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Im not complaining....
If this is true, I must have greatly misunderstood your previous posts. Somehow I got a different impression.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:46 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm, lets take a look. Its 9:27 PM. All other flights are canceled, and all the Europe flight have departed. There are 3 departing flights left tonight, the flight to LAS, the 11:XX PM to DCA, and one other late flight to CLT.
There are two ends to the flight. Not a sould here knows who has what going on connection-wise on the other end, nor do we know the legality of the crew. 2 minutes may seem insignificant, but the ramifications in ATC, crew legality, connex etc on the other end etc. The bottom line is that the operation of flights in irrops is far greater than you're assuming. Even in perfect weather, there's no way you make an 11 minute connection. They gave you something they didn't have to. You were about as lucky as you were going to get.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:49 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Why does everyone call this back tracking, this was only a connection with the cheapest routing available at the time of booking. Given that I was actually flying, getting away from Chicago, becoming minutes closer to my vacation, earning miles... LOTS more miles, getting F class upgrades, and getting closer to next years elite status, I see this all as progress! If youre calling this backtracking, what words do you use do describe a mileage run?
Backtracking has little to do with MR's, though you'll often see it done on them. The simplest definition is flying AWAY from where you want to end up and then going to where your destination. In this case, ORD-PHL was the wrong direction, geographically. The lesson for you is that it doesn't matter what class you're seated in. When time is of the essence (like a weekend trip or a big meeting, you don't book a backtracked routing especially with a double conx).
Old May 31, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: US NW EK
Hmmm, lets take a look. Its 9:27 PM. All other flights are canceled, and all the Europe flight have departed. There are 3 departing flights left tonight, the flight to LAS, the 11:XX PM to DCA, and one other late flight to CLT. Most of the airport is empty, most a ton of people in line to Special Services. I can see how that flight would have been delayed with all that heavy traffic , and 2 minutes here could have saved 3 passengers connections, and who else was connecting to the LAS flight. Well now US, gets to pay for our hotel and give us vouchers that will make us pay less for US Airways to transport us to our destination. Bottom line is 2 minutes would have not destroyed anyone connections or the departure, but 2 minutes destroyed our connection. Im not complaining, and I do understand these things happen, and I could care less, its just the manner US handled it is definately not worth an A&B certificate.
Okay let me explain to you what 2 minutes can do to a flight.

1. If there is any kind of flow control going into LAS or out a PHL that two minutes may make the flight miss it's wheels up time.

2. If the ramp is told they are holding the aircraft for two minutes they may go over to another gate to push out that airplane and then when your plane is ready they are not right there to push it back

3. If they don't push right away and wait they may have to wait longer for clearance to push-back, because since your plane didn't push they allowed the one next door to push.

4. What if two minutes on that flight was all 10 people needed to make their connection.

And again US was not responsible for your hotel it states right in their contact of carriage:

"In the event of a delay or cancellation, overnight accommodations will be arranged by US Airways at their
expense for customers at connecting points whose flights are delayed or canceled because of
circumstances within US Airways control for whom no alternate transportation is available. Overnight
accommodations will not be provided for customers whose flights are delayed or canceled due to
circumstances beyond US Airways control such as Air Traffic Control or weather."

And that is copy and pasted from the PDF file available on their web site
Old May 31, 2006, 8:41 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
There is probably a take-away from all of this, either in the form of the Flyertalk Guidelines and Rules or a selected quote from "Cool Hand Luke."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.