The Walk of Shame... A F/C Confession

Old May 27, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP (Founding Member)
The Walk of Shame... A F/C Confession

I am CP and travel in F/C quite often, but on my recent journey up from FLL, I really felt badly about the "walk of shame." Basically, this is when you sit in your first class seat and watch all those who are sitting in coach walk by. For some reason, everytime this happens, I just wish they had made us board last, becuase the whole thing is so "show offish."

What do you all think of the "Walk of Shame?" Do you ever look at the people as they walk by?
Old May 27, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by IHATESAT
Do you ever look at the people as they walk by?

Now that I have gone to skyteam, in 2 years I will be doing the "walk of shame" about 4 times a year, as I will have no status on us.

I think it will be more like the "Walk of LAUGHTER!!!" Now I know why I see so many zone 1's walking in and laughing...they are UA flyers who know that US has a SHAME of f/c product!
Old May 27, 2006, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I am CP and travel in F/C quite often, but on my recent journey up from FLL, I really felt badly about the "walk of shame." Basically, this is when you sit in your first class seat and watch all those who are sitting in coach walk by. For some reason, everytime this happens, I just wish they had made us board last, becuase the whole thing is so "show offish."

What do you all think of the "Walk of Shame?" Do you ever look at the people as they walk by?
I do sometimes...I have seen colleagues/friends sometimes walk past me in 2C with a gin and tonic, reading the WSJ...I do feel bad.
Old May 27, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by sts603
I do sometimes...I have seen colleagues/friends sometimes walk past me in 2C with a gin and tonic, reading the WSJ...I do feel bad.
You got a gin and tonic while boarding was going on? Are you sure you were on US? They're the navy blue planes.....the ones that are really dirty.....light gray seats with ink all over them......are you SURE????
Old May 27, 2006, 9:22 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I was once flying SYD-BNE on QF, and shared a cab from work with the national Marketing Manager. He was all uppity, name dropping etc. I was flying home to BNE on leave (living in SYD at the time, just going home for holidays) and he was flying on the company purse. I never shared my status with my work colleagues, so imagine his face when he walked past me in 2F, headed for 35B. I smiled at him, tipped my drink towards him saying hello, and returned to my magazine.
Old May 27, 2006, 9:45 pm

Something just isn't adding up here. IHATESAT, I thought you were a 19 year old son of a pilot (non rev). This is according to one of your recent posts. Therefore, I have a VERY hard time believing that you are a CP, much less a "founding member". What's the real story??
Old May 27, 2006, 10:08 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Intersting topic.

Before 9/11 (or when load factors we sane and everyone did not carry everything on) I would routinely wait until just before they closed the flight to board, particularly if seated in F. I don't like spending any more time in a metal tube than absolutely necessary--F or otherwise.

Now, I do the zone 1 boarding, just to make sure I can get my relatively modest carry-on within 6 or 7 rows of my seat .
Old May 27, 2006, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
You got a gin and tonic while boarding was going on? Are you sure you were on US? They're the navy blue planes.....the ones that are really dirty.....light gray seats with ink all over them......are you SURE????
Haha...unlike many on this board I actually find I get pre-departure service on almost every flight except 321s.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:45 pm

Why would I ever feel shame?

I EARNED that seat by spending thousands of mine and my companies dollars every year. I never did MR's I got CP status the right way. I complied with the rules and hardly ever complained except on here. When US was at the brink and even up until recently I would wait as late as I could get away with before booking travel so as to increase the revenue to US.

That has now officially changed. I now have the entire contract of carriage printed out in my bag along with the Customer Commitment and I fully intend to hold their feet to the fire on EVERYTHING!

US Management has made is decisions and I've made mine. So guilt sitting in 2C? Not in this lifetime. Tell Dougie to stock up on the Gin and Tonics and to keep that snack basket full, cause I'm here for the duration.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: US NW EK
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Something just isn't adding up here. IHATESAT, I thought you were a 19 year old son of a pilot (non rev). This is according to one of your recent posts. Therefore, I have a VERY hard time believing that you are a CP, much less a "founding member". What's the real story??
I was wondering the same thing...

Anyways...regarding the question, I don't feel bad when I am riding up front. Even though most of the time I am riding up front I'm doing so as an employee. Don't worry guys, I don't get to sit up there to often. Since I've started working at US I've only rode up front when I was positive space on company business. I enjoy first class but it doesn't make me feel anymore special then when I am in the back, just more comfortable. Even when I've flown upfront as a paying passenger (NW) It was nice but nothing to special.

Old May 28, 2006, 12:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Walk of Shame? I usually refer to it as the "Parade of Envy".

I feel no shame watching people play the "Is this my seat" lottery. That's when pax look at the F seats then look at their seat assignment in some vain hope that the "6" in 26B somehow disappeared leaving them with 2B.

When they realized they crapped out, they look at you while you sip on your pre-flight drink knowing they have to tough it out in the depths of Y.
Old May 28, 2006, 4:29 am

Programs: US CP
I only fly TA so I do feel a pang when I see folks head past, knowing what they are facing. BUT I'm so amazed at what walks by. My last flight I saw an adult in pajamas with the feet in them! I've seen folks that would have caused me to say the coach seat prayer "oh please please please don't let that be my seat neighbor" and I treasure and fully appreciate where I'm seated. I know that sounds awful.
Old May 28, 2006, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Walk of Shame? I usually refer to it as the "Parade of Envy".
I've only heard it referred to as the "Perp walk".
Old May 28, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Several years ago, when my wife and I were infrequent flyers, we'd walk past F and assume that all of these folks were business folks with bucks. Now that we fly some 90K miles per year and are elites, we understand how to use the rules of the DM program.

We paid hard-earned money to fly and earn our status. No guilt or self-esteem problems sitting up front on our part.

Barry
Old May 28, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
When My Wife Is In Back

That's when I feel bad.

I was on an LAX-PHX-MSP trip with my wife. I was on buisness and going on elsewhere after MSP while she was returning to LAX, so we were on two different PNRs. My upgrade went through at the window and by the time we got the airport and found out, the flight was oversold and the agent wasn't too keen on moving people around. I tried to get my wife to take the seat in F, but she wouldn't.

Of course, I got grief from her during the flight from PHX on the 733...no winning in these fights, but at least we're still married.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.