The Walk of Shame... A F/C Confession

Old May 28, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: US Airways
Most awkward situation I've found has been when I'm on the same flight as a client (work as a consultant), and I sit in first while my client (who is paying my salary and has paid for all the flights that enabled me to get to CP) tridges down to coach. Naturally, I always try to upgrade clients where possible.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Intersting topic.

Before 9/11 (or when load factors we sane and everyone did not carry everything on) I would routinely wait until just before they closed the flight to board, particularly if seated in F. I don't like spending any more time in a metal tube than absolutely necessary--F or otherwise.

Now, I do the zone 1 boarding, just to make sure I can get my relatively modest carry-on within 6 or 7 rows of my seat .

Ditto!! I used to be the last to board, even when in Y. Now I jump when zone 1 is announced.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Intersting topic.

Before 9/11 (or when load factors we sane and everyone did not carry everything on) I would routinely wait until just before they closed the flight to board, particularly if seated in F. I don't like spending any more time in a metal tube than absolutely necessary--F or otherwise...
I agree w/ ClueByFour, this is another disadvantage of modern travel - pre 9/11 I could leave work/home at the last minute, zip through security and hop on the plane just before they closed the door; last one on and first one off. Now I arrive an hour early and try to time leaving the US club to catch Zone 1 boarding before someone in 35D puts his carry-on over my FC seat.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I feel bad, but I blank it out by thinking about the show "Airline"

Then again, there are a few people that go bye that I'd love to save and have them sit next to me. Then Again, my SigOther might beat some sense into me, if I tried...

I then go back to thinking about "Airline" and thanking the maker I'm not back in 22D with Ma and Pa Kettle.

Originally Posted by IHATESAT
I am CP and travel in F/C quite often, but on my recent journey up from FLL, I really felt badly about the "walk of shame." Basically, this is when you sit in your first class seat and watch all those who are sitting in coach walk by. For some reason, everytime this happens, I just wish they had made us board last, becuase the whole thing is so "show offish."

What do you all think of the "Walk of Shame?" Do you ever look at the people as they walk by?
Old May 29, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Wink 'Neverevers"

Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I then go back to thinking about "Airline" and thanking the maker I'm not back in 22D with Ma and Pa Kettle.
I like to call them "neverevers" (as in they never ever fly).

I always seem to get behind them in security or when they're in row 8 and I'm in 24.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-Gold, DL-Flying Colonel, CO-Platinum, HP-Platinum, US-Chairman's Preferred.
Originally Posted by mallthus
I like to call them "neverevers" (as in they never ever fly).

I always seem to get behind them in security or when they're in row 8 and I'm in 24.
It happened to me last week at SFO. I was in 4C and from the moment I entered door 1L it took me 10 minutes to get to my seat. I love old people, because we will all get there eventually. But, I wonder why they are given early boarding by all airlines as a result of the fact that they tend to slow boarding down...sometimes significantly...while stretching turnaround times.
Old May 29, 2006, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Well, I hope it is okay if I post in this forum. I dont want to upset people by my presence here. But I feel that it might be okay since I was a long time CP and I believe I am correcting a factual error in the OP and not in any way being critical of the astonishing, effective and loveable management team in Tempe.

The CP "Walk of Shame" is NOT sitting in first and watching others walk to coach. The CP "Walk of Shame" is when YOU as a CP are walking back to coach for whatever terrible reason.

In terms of what the OP incorrectly described, my favorite experience with that was on a LGA-DCA shuttle, sitting in first and watching Joe Biden walk back to coach.
Old May 29, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, US, IB. Low man on the totem pole again.
Try this one on for size....

As a CP you travel often... You change your flights at the last minute... You find yourself doing the "Walk of BEING REALLY P***ED OFF" as you walk to 35B past a $50.00 First Up PAX who called in 30 hours in advance to get your seat... and they got the deep discount seat for the 1 flight a year that they take to go visit their sister, etc...
Old May 29, 2006, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by joshua-bwi
Try this one on for size....

As a CP you travel often... You change your flights at the last minute... You find yourself doing the "Walk of BEING REALLY P***ED OFF" as you walk to 35B past a $50.00 First Up PAX who called in 30 hours in advance to get your seat... and they got the deep discount seat for the 1 flight a year that they take to go visit their sister, etc...
Please do not be angry. What you are describing is simply "the CP walk of shame". Putting you in 35B every so often keeps you appreciative of US first class service
Old May 29, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
appreciative of US first class service

You really have to be kidding, RIGHT? US has F seats, but NOT f/c product! Doug Parker killed that!
Old May 29, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Get your facts straight.

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
You really have to be kidding, RIGHT? US has F seats, but NOT f/c product! Doug Parker killed that!

You've got to be kidding. US' F product was dead long before Parker came along. I'm no big defender of what he and his crew have done recently, but US was serving box meals in F long before HP showed up.
Old May 29, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

You've got to be kidding. US' F product was dead long before Parker came along. I'm no big defender of what he and his crew have done recently, but US was serving box meals in F long before HP showed up.
True you can't fault Dougie for that! BUT there are enough things you can fault him for to make up the difference.
Old May 29, 2006, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wave1
Ditto!! I used to be the last to board, even when in Y. Now I jump when zone 1 is announced.
Ditto...too bad that zone 1 is usually, at best, announced as zone 1 and 2, and anyone who feels like it is allowed to board
Old May 30, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: UA, AA
The one thing I like about the 757s is no walk of shame. FC turn left, Y turn right.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Something just isn't adding up here. IHATESAT, I thought you were a 19 year old son of a pilot (non rev). This is according to one of your recent posts. Therefore, I have a VERY hard time believing that you are a CP, much less a "founding member". What's the real story??
I'm 19 and Non Rev to class of 1982 (Penn) and 1986 MBA at Harvard to being a lawyer for an international corporation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.