Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post America West and US Airways Announce Changes to Expanded Frequent Flyer Programs

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050926/lam080.html?.v=24

Press Release Source: America West Airlines

Monday September 26, 3:34 pm ET
Loyalty Programs Now Include Network Reach of America West and US Airways, Will Fully Combine Into One Dividend Miles Program in Spring 2006

PHOENIX, Sept. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- America West (NYSE: AWA - News) and US Airways (OTC Bulletin Board: UAIRQ - News) today announced details of immediate changes to their joint frequent flyer programs, FlightFund and Dividend Miles, resulting from the merger between US Airways and America West. A new program, which will launch in spring of 2006, will retain the name Dividend Miles. Members of FlightFund, the America West frequent flyer program, and Dividend Miles, the frequent flyer program for US Airways, will be able to redeem and earn miles on flights operated by either airline beginning Oct. 5, and their outstanding mileage balance will be automatically combined and integrated into the new Dividend Miles program in spring of 2006.

"By combining America West's award-winning FlightFund and Elite program with the worldwide reach of US Airways and the Star Alliance, we believe that we have created the best frequent flyer program in the nation for our customers," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing. "As a low-cost carrier with nationwide and international service, US Airways offers what may be the only frequent flyer program that our customers will ever need."

Beginning Oct. 5, Dividend Miles and FlightFund members will be able to earn and redeem miles to any destination served by America West or US Airways. Additional Dividend Miles and FlightFund highlights include:

-- A 500-mile bonus for booking online at either americawest.com or
usairways.com
-- No more Saturday-night stay requirement for Dividend Miles awards
-- A single worldwide award chart with award travel beginning at 25,000
miles:

Roundtrip award One Coach-Class One First-Class
destinations Award or Business-Class
Award

Within and between Mileage Saver: 25,000 Mileage Saver: 50,000
the continental US Premium: 50,000 Premium: 100,000
and Canada

Between the Mileage Saver: 30,000 Mileage Saver: 60,000
continental US Premium: 60,000 Premium: 120,000
or Canada and the
Caribbean, Central
America or Mexico

Between North Mileage Saver: 35,000 Mileage Saver: 70,000
America* and Hawaii Premium: 70,000 Premium: 140,000

Between North
America* or Hawaii Mileage Saver: 50,000 Mileage Saver: 80,000
and Europe Premium: 100,000 Premium: 160,000

*North America includes the continental US, Canada, the Caribbean,
Central America or Mexico.

-- In order to be able to provide members with the greatest number of
award seats possible, and also due to the merged airline's expanded
route network, the America West short-haul award and the USAirways.com
awards have been replaced by a single, worldwide redemption chart with
travel beginning at 25,000 miles.
-- For additional information on the new Dividend Miles program including
award-travel charts, please visit www.usairwaysinfo.com and click on
the Frequent Flyer section.

For FlightFund Elite and Dividend Miles Preferred Members, a new Preferred Program:

-- Beginning Oct. 5, Preferred and Elite members in either FlightFund or
Dividend Miles may receive complimentary first-class upgrades on
eligible flights operated by both US Airways and America West.
-- Miles and segments flown on flights operated by both America West and
US Airways for all of 2005 will count toward Preferred or Elite
status.
-- America West Platinum Elite members will be elevated to Chairman's
Elite status through February 28, 2006.
-- Preferred and Elite programs combine the best of advance upgrade
options from both programs by retaining the Dividend Miles seven-day
window for Chairman's Preferred level and the FlightFund two-day
window for the Silver Preferred level:

Qualifications Silver Gold Platinum Chairman's
and benefits Preferred/ Preferred/ Preferred/ Preferred/
Elite Elite Elite Elite

Unlimited Confirm Confirm Confirm Confirm
upgrades to anytime on anytime on anytime in anytime in
First Class in Full Coach Full Coach advance on advance on
North America, or 2 days or 3 days Full Coach Full Coach
Latin America before before or 4 days or 7 days
or the departure departure before before
Caribbean on other on other departure departure
fares fares on other on other
fares fares

2006 Preferred
Qualifying
Miles 25,000 50,000 75,000 100,000

2006 Preferred
Qualifying
Segments 30 60 90 120

Preferred
Flight Bonus 25% 50%* 75%* 100%

Unlimited
Preferred
Upgrades Yes Yes Yes Yes

Private
Connections
Reservations
Service Yes Yes Yes Chairman's
Preferred
Liaison Desk*

Priority
Check-in
and Boarding Yes Yes Yes Yes

Preferred
Seating on
US Airways Yes Yes Yes Yes

Blackout Dates No No No No

Preferred
Seating Yes Yes Yes Yes

Priority
Standby Yes Yes Yes Highest
priority

Benefits listed begin Oct. 5 unless otherwise indicated
*Benefits effective early 2006
Benefits are subject to change at the discretion of US Airways.

US Airways and America West have joined together to create the fifth largest domestic airline. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express operate approximately 4,000 flights per day and serve more than 225 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be accessed at www.usairways.com or www.americawest.com.

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers global reach and a smooth travel experience. The other members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, United and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the course of the next 12 months. Overall, the member carriers offer more than 15,000 daily flights to 795 destinations in 139 countries. (AWAG)

FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

Source: America West Airlines
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
the long awaited details ...

Overall I'm happy with this. I think making a platinum level at 75K was expected, but it's a nice gesture to give HP Elites CP status until February.

Also, does this mean the 20K domestic award for preferred members is going away? Also, is the online booking bonus going to be only 500 miles from now on?

Regarding only a 25% bonus for SP's.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: US, UA
CP segments up from 100 to 120
GP bonus down from 100% to 50%
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EP
They posted a link to this guide on the website, but when I looked it was gone from the US site. It's still on the HP site. It's a bit easier to read here:

http://www.usairwaysinfo.com/usair/default.aspx

Last edited by la2clt; Sep 26, 2005 at 2:19 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
How many segments needed for Elite?

Don't know if anyone else has been wondering, but I called the GP desk and got an answer to the question that was bothering me -- whether you will need 120 segments this year for CP or just 100, like in the past. According to GP desk, "the merger is effective November 15, so if you're already working towards 100 segments this year and get 100 by the end of the year, CP will be good through Feb. 2007." But to qualify through Feb. 2008, you'd have to get 120 segments next year. Nice to get an easy answer from customer service!

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Overall I'm happy with this. I think making a platinum level at 75K was expected, but it's a nice gesture to give HP Elites CP status until February.

Also, does this mean the 20K domestic award for preferred members is going away? Also, is the online booking bonus going to be only 500 miles from now on?

Regarding only a 25% bonus for SP's.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Devaluation = bad

Hmm. Trying to find something good in this. Bonuses decrease and awards cost more miles.

Not a good start for elites in this new company.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:48 pm

Segment carryover?

So, does anyone have a clue as to whether there will be segment carryover for over 120 segments in the new plan?

Larry
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool I hate to say it, but....

LOL! Once again I was proven right, and it looks as thought some people need to start munching on crow.

"This would also seem to indicate that the Silver/Gold level elite bonuses on the US side will be reduced to 25/50%. I can't see HP giving 100% bonues to Gold, Plat, and CP. Unless HP plans on bringing back the 125% bonus for top tier elites, there are going to be some pissed off Silvers and Golds."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=21

Any of you care to bet against me on this thread.

Enjoy the promos while you can.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Sep 26, 2005 at 3:24 pm
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Not liking the looks of this so far.
120 Segs to requalify for CP seems kind of high. I'm good til '07, but still that seems a tad much.
There does not look to be much additional upside in being CP down the road.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
LOL! Once again I was proven right, and it looks as thought some people need to start munching on crow.

"This would also seem to indicate that the Silver/Gold level elite bonuses on the US side will be reduced to 25/50%. I can't see HP giving 100% bonues to Gold, Plat, and CP. Unless HP plans on bringing back the 125% bonus for top tier elites, there are going to be some pissed off Silvers and Golds."
[/URL]
not only that, but contrary to the last "reassuring" spokesman interview, miles earned prior to October 5th in the separate programs will not be combined for '06 elite calculation purposes.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No apparent changes to *A award chart

Let's just hope it stays that way! ^
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
So, does anyone have a clue as to whether there will be segment carryover for over 120 segments in the new plan?

Larry

I'm praying I can squeeze one more year out of the miles carryover. I'm betting it will go away after the program merger and I'm not too hopeful for this year.

It was fun while it lasted. Looks like I'll be doing PIT-ATL for the foreseeable future anyway, so I guess it's time to look for DL comps/challenges.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:05 pm

For calendar year 2006 will one earn the benefits for their status level under the rules they earned the level or the new rules for that level?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Two questions:

1.) The future of the two Transatlantic 7-day advance Envoy upgrades for CP's?

2.) No details on companion upgrades.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:11 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Loss of off-peak awards=bad.

Dilution of elite levels=bad.

The elite level thing alone is going to drive my remaining US business to United (and the right way to handle it is to merge Plat and CP into the existing CP criteria for next year--cranking up the requirements on the top teir even further is just a kick in the pants--especially given that little part of the business called "shuttle."

And that's just from the FF program standpoint--nevermind the E+/Power/degredation of F aspect of the whole thing.

Thus far, Doogie does not impress me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.