Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tales from the Phone Reservations Line

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:43 pm

It's bad enough on US Air that I'm avoiding gaining more miles on them. Whereas, the delightful AA reps make me want to only earn on AA
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:01 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I could have sworn I got an offshore center on a routine call to the Gold number the other night. Hung up and called back the next day.

Are they sending Gold and Silver calls offshore? If so, I won't give US a freaking dime next year, as I'm not going to be making CP again anytime soon, and I'm also not going to deal with folks who cannot speak english.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I could have sworn I got an offshore center on a routine call to the Gold number the other night. Hung up and called back the next day.

Are they sending Gold and Silver calls offshore? If so, I won't give US a freaking dime next year, as I'm not going to be making CP again anytime soon, and I'm also not going to deal with folks who cannot speak english.
cx4

You may have been routed to the outsourced call center in FL. I seem to remember that silver and gold calls were being sent there, instead of San Salvador or Manila.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: US lowlife
There's almost always a way to get out of the contract. My bet is if that they are underperforming enough where they are not meeting contracted service/revenue levels they can pull the plug on the outsourcing.

-JC
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jcooke
There's almost always a way to get out of the contract. My bet is if that they are underperforming enough where they are not meeting contracted service/revenue levels they can pull the plug on the outsourcing.

-JC
One can only hope. Perhaps it is my entrenched trenched tendencies, but not much in the world makes me happier than calling a customer service number and getting someone who just speaks English well.

It's no knock against the people in the other countries, btw. I'd imagine if I had to learn to book airline tickets in, say, French, I'd have a heck of time knowing what was going on, too. Just doesn't make it a good business idea.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
not a regular US flyer, so i have no status here, but i just spent 45 minutes changing an existing reservation. then i went and had a few drinks -- i needed them after this experience!!

the phone system itself is incompetent, and hung up on me several times. after seven minutes on hold, the first agent asked for my record locator, then transferred me to a dial tone. another ten minutes on hold, and the first agent that actually talked to me didn't understand that a 757 has 34 rows, and there are some non-middle seats open at the back. 11E is all she understood. so, i called again. and again. and again. ten minutes on hold each time, and when i finally got to a person, i had to once again explain that a 757 goes to 34 rows, and she was literally taking my requests, keying in the seat changes, and seeing if they'd take. i'd say "31F is open. i'm looking at it in sabre. just try it." (yay expertflyer!!!)

wow.

if i have to book US again, expedia. they have actual customer service if i need to make a change.....

(i tried changing online, but somehow the HP merger killed that option!)
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former US1; IHG Spire Ambassador; AVIS First
[QUOTE=J-

Where are US phone calls handled?[/QUOTE]

After hours, my calls go to the Phillipines - I asked. I have also had to ask to be connected to another operator. Takes longer, but we could reasonably understand each other. Anyway, it's a lot like talking to the wall at CCY if you ask me.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:36 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by PHL
Thanks for that tip - I went to the link and was able to pull up the reservation and the system STILL wants a $5 fee!?!@ But it was a lot easier and quicker than calling them. I'd like the ability to exchange for a paid upgrade to F, as I"m on a full fare and F isn't that much more $$. Don't see a way of doing that, though.

You shouldn't have become an US Peon.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Oh geez - and here I was blaming India last nite

Spent 25 minutes ( and numerous times getting hung on) to NOT be able to effect a seat change.

All these companies need to fix their websites if they are going to keep sending out CS ( or customer diservice is how I now think of it )
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:07 am

From USA Today

>"US Airways addresses call complaints: US Airways is planning to hire 30 new reservations agents to handle the company's elite-level fliers, according to The Charlotte Observer (free registration). The workers will be based at the airline's call center Winston-Salem, N.C., and the paper reports the move follows complaints from elite-level US Airways passengers about consistently getting non-native English speakers when calling the airline's reservations number. US Airways has increasingly been outsourcing reservations calls to centers in El Salvador and the Philippines. The airline says the new workers will begin training by Nov. 7, and will handle calls from US Airways' Silver, Gold and Chairman's Preferred Dividend Miles members. Even without the 30 new workers, however, US Airways customers could find fewer calls headed overseas as the US Airways-America West merger progresses. America West's reservations call centers are located in Reno and Tempe, Ariz. Posted 9:05 a.m. ET"
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by Seat1A
if i have to book US again, expedia. they have actual customer service if i need to make a change.....
Ha! I'm afraid my recent dealings with Expedia's customer service haven't been so great either. In my case, I canceled two full-fare, business-class tickets bought through Expedia on Thai Airways. They were paper-ticketed (Expedia said they had to be), but two months after sending the paper tickets back to Expedia I'm still waiting for about $2000 in refund to my credit card as both Thai and Expedia. It seems the process (and my ticket) has been going back and forth between the two as they try to work out who needs to process the refund.

Some of the problem may be at Thai, and the people at Expedia have been pleasant and do speak English. However, they've continued to make me be the go-between in getting the refund processed, rather than getting on the phone with Thai directly to get me a resolution. I again get to "wait for several days" to see if the process has moved any father.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.