GSO losing Mainline service at end of 2005

Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mjcasta
This is very sad news . . .

I no longer live in or fly to GSO. As a former PI employee I fondly remember my days in Greensboro as well as Winston-Salem / High Point. The mini-hub status of GSO had nearly 70 flights a day to such places as LGA, BWI, DCA, ORF, CLT, RDU, ILM, BOS, ORD, MCO, TPA, EWR and DAY. It was so highly regarded that LGW, SFO and the morning LAX flight originated in GSO at one time or another.

I have also found it very odd that US seems to scratch their heads and wonder why they are losing money while they decide to terminate the networks of the profitable companies they acquire. A succesful US would have abandoned their network and adopted the Piedmont and PSA networks.
Actually, how soon we forget that PSA was losing money when US bought them! So, the strategy should have been focused on serving the underserved markets -- as Piedmont was very successfully doing. That being said, Southwest would have posed a significant challenge even to Piedmont's strategy.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I guess this also answers the question that LAS or PHX would never be considered here. Unless completely RJ...I wonder if loads stay high on the RJs if they would consider bringing mainline back in the future...Will the RJs theyre planning on using have FC?

Mainline isnt pulled yet from schedules for next year...is that a hopeful sign?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
To update this thread: I heard from the ladies in the club that mainline hasn´t been cut just yet. They were looking at it, but the station manager made a presentation to demonstrate the demand at GSO and hopefully keep mainline. No decision has been made. They actually were saying he was hoping to increase service, and was also working to get either LAS or PHX. So, things still seem up in the air, but he is definately trying.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
To update this thread: I heard from the ladies in the club that mainline hasn´t been cut just yet. They were looking at it, but the station manager made a presentation to demonstrate the demand at GSO and hopefully keep mainline. No decision has been made. They actually were saying he was hoping to increase service, and was also working to get either LAS or PHX. So, things still seem up in the air, but he is definately trying.
Things are very up in the air right now. One idea that has been running through the rumor mill is that the company may axe mainline but keep the mainline employees at current rates of pay because they need to keep them open due to the proximity of CLT.
I know the station manager very very well and trust me, if US is going to turn the station to mainline express, it won't happen w/o him putting up a gigantic flight.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did he give you any details about his presentation or on possible LAS or PHX service, please keep us posted as to what happens...
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
And I was just begiining to like you.....

LOL!
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read on another forum that the plan is that by pulling mainline for a few months, station employees drop to a lower payscale. Then, they can bring back mainline aircraft for increased capacity, but employees are still paid at the lower scale. Seems sneaky to me and a shame to the great employees at GSO. But, it answers the question as to why mainline still appears on spring and summer schedules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.