Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles to get to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: America West
Using miles to get to Rome

I am new to this group, but I have been an Amer West Plat for 7 years. I have been saving miles for a large (6 persons) family trip to Rome next June. I currently have 600,000 miles. Can any seasoned US Airways flyer tell me assuming the merger goes thru in January what are my chances of being able to use these miles to get us all to Rome together.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by karjenyes
I am new to this group, but I have been an Amer West Plat for 7 years. I have been saving miles for a large (6 persons) family trip to Rome next June. I currently have 600,000 miles. Can any seasoned US Airways flyer tell me assuming the merger goes thru in January what are my chances of being able to use these miles to get us all to Rome together.
Hmmm .....

Booking summer travel to FCO is difficult with miles unless you do it VERY far in advance (like now). It is doubtful that you'll be able to land an itin that includes the PHL-FCO non-stop.

With that in mind, it really depends on how flexible you are and the skills of the international res. agent you get to speak to in January. I'd bet that if you have a window in which you're willing to depart/return rather than concrete dates, you should be able to get there on the *A.

Have you considered booking now on BA with your HP miles instead of waiting for the merger to complete?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
If you are able to get a couple of standard coach awards (50,000), then you could us premium awards (100,000) for the rest. That is if U keeps the premium award option and doesn't continue to use some blackouts like they did this summer.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
eh, if you don't mind ridiculous numbers of connections, you'll probably find availability if you book as soon as the programs are merged. But it might be a lot of flying.. like phl-ord-fra-zrh-fco-vie-lhr-yyz-phl or so.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: America West
Thanks so much for the replies. In reading the Dividend Miles web sites, if I am understanding it correctly, it states that for Chairman level there are no blackouts on the Premium. Europe Premium is 100,000.
Does anyone know if the limit the # of Premium on each flight?
I did try calling US Airways Reservation - They were able to give me a few answers, but directed me to the Dividend Miles #. I had to tell the non-english speaking agent what the US Airways Dividend Web Site said. (NO HELP)
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:04 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by karjenyes
Does anyone know if the limit the # of Premium on each flight?
I'm pretty sure these still book into Y, so effectively the limitation would be the number of coach seats on the plane that are unsold. That being said, they have done things like zero out Y for special events, such as the Super Bowl last year in Houston so as to effectively capactiy control premium awards as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.