US Airways Baggage Tags Horror

Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:05 am
Original Poster

US Airways Baggage Tags Horror

About 2 months ago I purchased my silver preffered bag tags (dont ask why) at a price of 2 tags for $10 they are quite nice though!

First trip with them sounds like this

ord-dca claim my bags go to hotel sleep and wait for next morning flight bag tags on both bags
next morning dca-clt-cun. I checking in at dca, next time i see my bags at cun. what is different that on one of my pieces of luggage no BAG TAG. i go back to staff in Cancun, they found nothing. i spend a week in beautiful CANCUN. when I get back to Chicago i call us air they tell me its not been located anywhere in the system. I will have to buy new ones. HOW DO I DEAL W/ this? I do not want to buy new ones! I just want my bag tag back! PLEASE HELP W/ SUGGESTIONS
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
If you call a lost $5 tag a "horror" or something even to make such a big deal about, you must lead quite an immaculate life
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
If you call a lost $5 tag a "horror" or something even to make such a big deal about, you must lead quite an immaculate life
If it gets lost after the very first trip with it it IS a horror. and if this would happen every time imagine how much money you would spend buying new bag tags every time! $10 $ 10 $10. so im not making a big deal out of it! NOW IF ANYONE COULD GIVE SOME ADVICE THAT WOULD APPRECIATED MORE!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
NOW IF ANYONE COULD GIVE SOME ADVICE THAT WOULD APPRECIATED MORE!
HOW ABOUT NOT BUYING ANY MORE TAGS? GET SOME FREE ONES FROM A CHECK-IN COUNTER.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
time to move on

. . .NOW IF ANYONE COULD GIVE SOME ADVICE THAT WOULD APPRECIATED MORE! . . .

I think the point that others are making here is that a missing baggage tag is an occurance that does not a travel nightmare make. It's a blip on the travel radar -- gone and forgotten as soon as it happens.

Now a lost or a damaged bag is most definitely something to get prickly about.

We fly some dozen times a year and on occasison, we too lose a tag about once a year -- it's a cost of travel, no more, no less. And to be perfectly honest about it, those US elite tags do not appear to be very sturdy to begin with. I'm not at all surprised that they rip off easily. If there is a lesson here, it is to either purchase more durable tags, or go with the paper tags at the check in counters.

I'm sorry, but I too, do not comprehend your incredulous reaction to a minor event.

Barry
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:49 am

The fake leather straps for the tags are worthless and break easily. I use two black twist-ties to secure my tags.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:57 am

I never use them. The thieves in the baggage chain, TSA to Handlers, know that pretty gold and silver tags must mean a rich person owns the suitcases. Most of my suitcases are beat up and I never have anything "stolen". Confiscated, yes, but not stolen.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
About 2 months ago I purchased my silver preffered bag tags (dont ask why) at a price of 2 tags for $10 they are quite nice though!

First trip with them sounds like this

ord-dca claim my bags go to hotel sleep and wait for next morning flight bag tags on both bags
next morning dca-clt-cun. I checking in at dca, next time i see my bags at cun. what is different that on one of my pieces of luggage no BAG TAG. i go back to staff in Cancun, they found nothing. i spend a week in beautiful CANCUN. when I get back to Chicago i call us air they tell me its not been located anywhere in the system. I will have to buy new ones. HOW DO I DEAL W/ this? I do not want to buy new ones! I just want my bag tag back! PLEASE HELP W/ SUGGESTIONS
You called US Air to ask about a missing baggage tag? As in those plastic / leather things you put on your bag that cost 10$?

Mabye you should ask for compensation
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
You called US Air to ask about a missing baggage tag? As in those plastic / leather things you put on your bag that cost 10$?

Mabye you should ask for compensation

Ya those are the ones! I called US Airways and they said I have to buy new ones. How many new ones must i buy???
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why don't you buy zero new ones, as they don't improve the way your baggage is handled, may increase your chance of suffering theft, and have so far created nothing but upset for you.

I agree with the others that on the Standardized Air Travel Horror Impact Scale (STATHIS), a lost $10 bag tag does not even move the needle.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: US1
If you make CP you will get free bag tags I have bag tag protectors to protect the cheap plastic bag tags so they do not get ripped off or broken.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
Two words. Carry On.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:08 pm

Programs: US lowlife
I'm happy with my FT bag tags.... But those don't get touched since I carry on.

Besides, when you save $5-$30 when booking on usairways.com, why worry about an extra $10?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Where do you even buy Preferred luggage tags?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I've lost a few US preferred tags over the years (the ones they used to give out free every year to preferreds). One on a checked piece that simply vanished somewhere between PHL and SAN. One on a carry on (of all things ) that "may have shifted during flight" ripping the tag off - I didn't notice until I got to the hotel. And one that simply disintegrated after years of abuse. I'm down to just a few intact tags left, so I guess making CP this year has substantial added importance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.