Good uses for miles?

Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Good uses for miles?

I have about 30k miles in my account and 13k in my wife's. We are not planning to do any flying in the near future. Are there any uses for these miles besides flying(andmagazines)? I could not find anything on their website.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Still looking for mile usage..

Haven't had a response, does this mean there is no use for miles other than flights? If I did want magazines, how do you order them?
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
http://www.usairways.com/dividendmiles/redeemingmiles/

Donate them to charity.

Swap them at points.com (at exceptionally bad exchange rates).

USAirways doesn't appear to participate in Magazines4Miles (MilePoint) any more but America West does, so there's a possibility US will hang on to that program when the merger of the FF programs is finalized.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airfly56
I have about 30k miles in my account and 13k in my wife's. We are not planning to do any flying in the near future. Are there any uses for these miles besides flying(andmagazines)? I could not find anything on their website.
Personally, I'd keep them alive -- especially yours. You never know when you're going to need a last-minute ticket to somewhere for an emergency, funeral, or just a spur-of-the-moment boondoggle, and those miles could be used for a free ticket in the US. As far as I know, there's no better use for them other than donating them, which is an excellent use, in reality, just not one that comes immediately to mind for the majority of miles-hoarders you'll find around here.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Personally, I'd keep them alive -- especially yours. You never know when you're going to need a last-minute ticket to somewhere for an emergency, funeral, or just a spur-of-the-moment boondoggle, and those miles could be used for a free ticket in the US. As far as I know, there's no better use for them other than donating them, which is an excellent use, in reality, just not one that comes immediately to mind for the majority of miles-hoarders you'll find around here.
Be careful using them last minute - I made a week-out reservation with my miles (on a premium award, no less) and I got charged $50 or $75 service fee for booking within 2 weeks.

Very dissapointing.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by nekbet
Be careful using them last minute - I made a week-out reservation with my miles (on a premium award, no less) and I got charged $50 or $75 service fee for booking within 2 weeks.

Very dissapointing.
I don't think there is a fee for last minute award tickets if you book online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.