Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is USAIR totally blind to Lufthansa award availability?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Is USAIR totally blind to Lufthansa award availability?

I swear, the Star Alliance partner models are the most outdated and backward, out of any of the alliances. We're talking about paper tickets for most partners and award availability that partners are unwilling to share with each other. Right now, USAIR has almost zero award availability for many international Lufthansa and United seats. However, UA can see LH very clearly as can NH and AC. Singapore it a total hit or miss.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:38 am

Actually, yesterday I tried searching for an award to Poland for October, the dividend miles award agent offered options such as United, Lot Polish Airlines or SAS Scandinavian Airlines. The problem is usually if they do find availability its in biz or first. I need to save some miles for a 3 people trip to PAPEETEE, French Polynesia or Air New Zealand and it might be in F for award , so ... finding coach class awards is tough, but if youre looking for anything other than coach class awards, you should be lucky and might have a choice of carriers. Note when I said United to Poland, it means United to Europe and then code-share on Luftahansa or Lot Polish Airlines.

Lot Polish Airlines- Youre Under Our Wing www.lot.com
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:53 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I need to save some miles for a 3 people trip to PAPEETEE, French Polynesia or Air New Zealand and it might be in F for award
BTW, NZ no longer has F. They have a BusinessPremier product but with a true lie-flat bed from what I understand.

http://www.airnewzealand.com/traveli...er/default.htm
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by dcgators
BTW, NZ no longer has F. They have a BusinessPremier product but with a true lie-flat bed from what I understand.

http://www.airnewzealand.com/traveli...er/default.htm
Sorry LOL i ment in Biz. Theyre Biz class is awesome. Cant wait to check it out the new long haul!

Lot Polish Airlines- Youre Under Our Wing www.lot.com
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Anyone have a recent experience booking on Lufthansa? I am trying to get award seats to Budapest so Lufthansa would be my best bet out of PHL, but 3 tries so far and no agents can see any LH seats in coach or business for this September. Is there any fixed timeline for award seats to show up or am I stuck calling every week?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:36 pm

330 days out I tried to get US to Madrid for award travel. The agent couldn't get it but could get LH to Madrid via Munich, so I took that.

Larry
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Slightly off topic but amusing/frustrating. For weeks I've been looking for an award seat to JNB, So. Africa. We've tried through Europe, So. America, and Asia. No seats. This is a daily event.

Yesterday the agent insisted that there were no *A carriers that fly to JNB. Knowing she was wrong, I asked her to check again. She did and insisted no carriers to JNB.

Given her stupidity, I decided it wasn't worth educating her and hung up. I'm confident she'd never find a seat even if I spoon-fed her the flights and carriers to check.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I'm heading to Poland myself. Planning on buying a ticket and upgrading... From what I understand though, my upgrades are only good on US metal, not on Lufthansa. After reading some of the posts above I got a wee bit confused and aren't sure if I can do the latter or not.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I booked 2 coach seats JFK-MXP and FCO-JFK in March three weeks ago with no trouble.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
I'm heading to Poland myself. Planning on buying a ticket and upgrading... From what I understand though, my upgrades are only good on US metal, not on Lufthansa. After reading some of the posts above I got a wee bit confused and aren't sure if I can do the latter or not.
That is true. You can buy a business class award ticket on any star alliance carrier, so you fly business all the way and burn the miles for a business class award, but if you buy a revenue ticket you cannot upgrade on any other airline. Standard practice as *A airlines do not have access to each others' FF accounts.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:07 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
About 6 weeks ago I was able to get an award biz-class seat EWR-FRA-LCY, returning LHR-FRA-EWR on LH for summer 2006 travel (I'm a basic DM member currently)...though my preferred airport for travel would've been PHL, EWR isn't too much of a hassle for me so I was thrilled...dealing with the incompetence of the outsourced call centers though...another story all together...

N674UW
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:38 pm

I had no problem booking an all-LH BOS-BCN in C for september. Use the All-Nippon Star Alliance award searcher for availabilty, and give those exact flights to the US agents. Works like a charm.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy

Yesterday the agent insisted that there were no *A carriers that fly to JNB. Knowing she was wrong, I asked her to check again. She did and insisted no carriers to JNB.

Suggest you investigate various routings and ask the agent about the availability of specific flight numbers.

I know when I try and book through a UA agent, I find that the more information and options I can suggest the better chance I have of getting the award that I want.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by deant
Suggest you investigate various routings and ask the agent about the availability of specific flight numbers.

I know when I try and book through a UA agent, I find that the more information and options I can suggest the better chance I have of getting the award that I want.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Today's brilliant agent was prepared to book me on KLM via AMS until I pointed out that they weren't in the Star Alliance!

<eyes rolling>
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:45 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Thanks for the suggestions!

Today's brilliant agent was prepared to book me on KLM via AMS until I pointed out that they weren't in the Star Alliance!

<eyes rolling>
I had the same thing...EWR-LHR was offered to me on BA...I hung up on that agent after that episode and tried again...

N674UW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.