Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Still having to twist arms to get exit rows on UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Still having to twist arms to get exit rows on UA

This US2 is still encountering issues (with some consistency) getting exit row assignments on UAL. More than half the time in 2005, my first phone rep at UA instantly tells me I am ineligible for those seats after I explain I am US2/*AGold. So, I hang up and call back and generally bounce into an agent who knows the correct deal.

That said, just had a DEN - IAD leg where I was holding exit row aisle seat on the 757. (Make no mistake about it -- I had that seat and had print outs from virtuallythere.com to prove it, not to mention several other copies of e-mails from UA and US.) Check in at DEN and my seat has been moved from the D seat to dreaded E seat. Befuddled and mad, I dug out my printouts and UA confirmation e-mails and was met only with shrugs and "I-don't-know's" from the GAs who looked into it.

With a full flight, I had no choice but to take the middle exit row seat. Not the worst seat in the universe, but not what I had reserved at all. I hate crap like this. Pointless to persue it at all since UA will come back with a statement letting me know that seat assignments are never guaranteed on United or some such. In effect, someone somewhere took the initiative to pull my record and change my seat that I had confirmed over and over with hard copy documentation to prove it.

Anyone else experiencing similar?
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: all views expressed by me are mine only and do not reflect those of UAL or their partners
solution

have the res agent call a sd(service director) and have them manually add the seat assignments**Apollo**the UAL booking system does not recognize the DM number as being exit row eligible**when the res agent pulls up the seat charts on their screens**exit row seats are blacked out**US uses a Sabre based system**unfortunately sometimes there is a communication problem between the 2 different booking systems**By the way most of the res or csr's are completely unaware of the glitch**this would explain the shrugs by the gate agents
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Skyglider offers good advice. Sometimes it takes quite a fight to get an exit row seat on UA and most of the time they flatly refuse to give you an exit row seat as an UA elite. I have had better luck getting a seat for my gold preferred wife because in their minds US Gold=Star Gold while for Chairman's Preferred they have no idea and have told me it is lower than Gold.

So you gotta fight for your right to premium seating. You might want to tell them to refer to the seating profile which says that you are entitled to exit row seats.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thanks for the tips, but I've been successful in ultimately getting UA to place me in an exit row (eventually!). Still frustrating to have to talk to so many UA res agents before bumping into one who understands it all....

However, for me the larger issue was that my aisle exit row seats had been switched on me. Is that happening to anyone else out there? Not my idea of a "nice surprise."
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by sbtinme
However, for me the larger issue was that my aisle exit row seats had been switched on me. Is that happening to anyone else out there? Not my idea of a "nice surprise."
All the time! And if you read the UAL forum, you'll see it's very common. UA seemingly doesn't guarantee seat assignments. Some over there have a regular routine of checking their seat assignments for future flights.

Well, that's something we can put in the US column: with few exceptions, the seat you picked is the seat you get.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
I haven't flown UA for many years (by choice), so forgive me if the answer is well-known....... how do UA's exit row seats compare to Economy Plus ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:58 am

Just came back from an overnight trip to ORD via UAX. Couldn't get exit row before I got on plane from the GA, but once the doors were closed the FA asked me if I wanted to move to exit row and have a side to myself to work. I guess the Air Whiskey flight attendents are learning the US codes.

I also guess I'm flying too much, but the man in the row across from me looked familar. He was a Mesa Captain who regularly flies the ABE-PHL run that I'm frequently on. He will be displaced when Air Whiskey takes over for Mesa in PHL and he moves to Chicago as Mesa takes over as a UAX carrier for Air Whiskey there. @:-)
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:03 pm

It's very annoying to have to fight for what I thought was a benefit...

They should just fix the damn computers!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
Originally Posted by skyglider99
have the res agent call a sd(service director) and have them manually add the seat assignments**Apollo**the UAL booking system does not recognize the DM number as being exit row eligible**when the res agent pulls up the seat charts on their screens**exit row seats are blacked out**US uses a Sabre based system**unfortunately sometimes there is a communication problem between the 2 different booking systems**By the way most of the res or csr's are completely unaware of the glitch**this would explain the shrugs by the gate agents
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can the US CP desk book you an exit row or are you saying you have to call a UAL agent? I just bought x-country tix on UAL for later this month so now need to figure this out Thank you!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:29 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
I haven't flown UA for many years (by choice), so forgive me if the answer is well-known....... how do UA's exit row seats compare to Economy Plus ?

Thanks.
In general, UA exit rows have a few more inches of pitch than E+, i.e., 40 inches vs. 34-36 inches. Check out www.seatguru.com for specifics.

On some UA planes, like the Airbus twins, the first row of coach is often almost as good as the exit row b/c of cutoats in the divider b/t first & coach.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
i need to start using asterisks in place of periods**like i'm writing a telegram**stop
Old May 8, 2006, 7:48 am

sorry to be late to the game here but I just printed out my boarding passes for a united flight and figured I'd chime in on this thread.

I was able to get E+ with no problem. the boarding pass says US Chairmain's but I still wasn't able to select an exit row.

It isn't worth it to me to call so I guess I'll see what I can do at the gate.
Old May 8, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that exit rows were only available to UA elites. E+, yes, but the only time I've ever been able to get an exit row is on day of departure by asking nicely at the RCC.
Old May 8, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LPCJr
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that exit rows were only available to UA elites. E+, yes, but the only time I've ever been able to get an exit row is on day of departure by asking nicely at the RCC.

I've been assigned to exit rows in advance, but only after speaking with 3 or 4 different agents and asking for SPECIFIC seats (gotta love seatguru! ^ ). A UA exit row (with access to with Ch. 9) comes in a close second to US F, and much more bearable than US Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.