Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Move to CP Promotion # 6689: Problems Registering?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
This is a mess just waiting to happen...
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Well, with the rest of you punks getting CP status I guess I'd better do it or kiss my UGs goodbye.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Well, I re-read my statement and the offer was there. I registered. But here are a couple issues.

1.) I was planning on making Gold this year for the first time. I figured it would probably require an MR or unnecessary trip to see someone at the end of the year. Now - I don't need to take it - US could well end up with LESS REVENUE from me because of this promo. Granted, I may push for US1 which would contribute more revenue but I doubt I'll have the time.

2.) While the people who take advantage of these promo's are still FF's who do contribute to the bottom-line this is really skewing things in tier levels. Yes, CP's will still fly a lot even if they qualify with the promo. GP's will still fly a good amount. But between this and the Fly Once Get SP promo, this is what I see, a US4 can be a US3, a US3 can be a US2 and a US2 will be a US1. So the pecking order will still be accurate but genuine US3's will have even harder time getting upgrades (though as a current US3 I'm 11 for 13) and US2's and esp. US1's wouldn't feel as elite as they should. Is this really the way it should be.

3.) Based on the above - Should a fourth tier be created?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm probably going to do it and they will realize some incremental revenue, i might grab a couple of west coast trips with stops instead of UA nonstops
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:49 pm

Yep.

Originally Posted by puchalskir
It worked for me.

Did anyone get targeted for Gold or Silver?

I am silver, and got this:
--------------------------------
TAKE THE FASTEST ROUTE TO GOLD PREFERRED MEMBERSHIP

Because your business is important to us, we've made it easy for you to move up to Gold Preferred through February 2007. Simply keeping flying US Airways and earn 10,000 Preferred Miles or 12 Preferred Segments July 1 through October 31, 2005, and enjoy a 100% Preferred bonus and higher upgraded priority. Or move up to Chairman's Preferred, the highest level of Dividend Miles membership, when you earn 18,000 miles or 18 segments during the same time period.
-------------------------------

I thought I'll hit gold regardless (I'm about 35 segments this year) before year end, but looks like CP now... I dunno if this is a great idea for them, I think it'll just piss off alot of CP's that already get limited upgrades.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
In thinking about it further - as I alluded to a couple posts above.....

I am a US3 who may have flown extra to make US2 next year depending on how close I got naturally. However, now not only will I get US2 definitly, it's pretty easy for me to make US1 and still not fly the miles required for US2 normally. This is great for me but is unfair to US2's and US1's who qualify genuinely.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Me Too

For what it's worth, I'll make US Gold this year, but I registerred for this promo anyway. CP is always a nice to have, if this promo works out.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Just out of curiosity. I am going to be taking a trip, PHL-SFO-SNA. Buying the ticket at united.com, using my Dividend miles number. The transcon portions of the trip are US metal. Will that qualify me for this promo? I can't figure out the Terms and Conditions for this situation. I understand that the UA portions (SFO-SNA, SNA-SFO) will be standard 500 mile EQMs. Two transcon R/Ts should upgrade me to US2, right?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by photog72
Just out of curiosity. I am going to be taking a trip, PHL-SFO-SNA. Buying the ticket at united.com, using my Dividend miles number. The transcon portions of the trip are US metal. Will that qualify me for this promo? I can't figure out the Terms and Conditions for this situation. I understand that the UA portions (SFO-SNA, SNA-SFO) will be standard 500 mile EQMs. Two transcon R/Ts should upgrade me to US2, right?
yes and no

the only transcon r/t that is actually 2500+ miles is PHL-SFO. Any CLT/PIT-West Coast as well as PHL-SEA/SAN/LAX are all sub-2500. So unless they are two PHL-SFO r/t's or connections then you will need a short-haul to take you over the top.

As for whether united.com qualifies - I'm not sure.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sts603
yes and no

the only transcon r/t that is actually 2500+ miles is PHL-SFO. Any CLT/PIT-West Coast as well as PHL-SEA/SAN/LAX are all sub-2500. So unless they are two PHL-SFO r/t's or connections then you will need a short-haul to take you over the top.

As for whether united.com qualifies - I'm not sure.
Strange that PHL-SAN,PHL-LAX seems farther than PHL-SFO and = less miles. Well, when I take a future PHL-LAX flight, it will involve a PHL-CLT connection.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by photog72
Strange that PHL-SAN,PHL-LAX seems farther than PHL-SFO and = less miles.
SFO is further west than LAX and SAN, and thus further away from PHL.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:05 am

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
I'm Gold and got the CP promo offer. And it couldn't have come at a better time, because I've just made PM on DL, and wanted to hedge my bets with another airline. I haven't flown on US since last September, so that may be why I was targetted.

I was going to send a letter to DM requesting status match challenge, and now I don't have to! It'll take me no more than 6 weeks to get 18,000 miles.

As far as lowered criteria for elite status, I've not noticed a difference on DL as far as getting upgraded as compared with last year, but it may be too soon to tell whether or not the lowered levels for PM will make getting upgraded harder (now that you only need 75K miles for PM as compared with 100K)

And I wouldn't have registered for this promo without having seen this post on FT. I don't normally read the newsletters. I may have to start looking at them more closely now!

Last edited by janeway; Jun 22, 2005 at 12:15 am
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by janeway

And I wouldn't have registered for this promo without having seen this post on FT. I don't normally read the newsletters. I may have to start looking at them more closely now!
I'm also a US2 and received the promo to be a US1. Normally, I just check my mileage balances online, and delete the e-mails. So, thanks for posting this and pointing it out. I looked at my statement....and it was in there.
Honestly, this is ridiculously easy. In a normal year, I do about 60k miles. Unless I was to do a few mileage runs (which I was considering doing), there was no way for me to get to 100k.
Now, qualifying has been made really easy. Just a few multi-segment trips over the 7/1-10/31 period....and I'm there...
I do feel the pain of the current US 1's, and I would understand if they were upset by this. In reality, the product has become cheapened for those that usually meet the 100k mile/100 segment threshold. You will have US 1's that will have done 40k in miles this year...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: US CP, HP Platinum,UA nobody
It's only fair to warn you of Parker's HP platinum upgrade queue model if it is the prevailing model after consolidation of DM with FF.

It's not based on time of web check if at the gate or waiting for auto-upgrade but on BIS miles in the past rolling year. So if your gold going to CP you're still behind CP's who earn it the hard way and transposed golds that have more BIS miles than you. ^

Perhaps they are just trying to get you to fly more now without you knowing that this will be the prevailing algorithm. You will have have the advantage over golds who do not take the offer, though.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gar777
It's only fair to warn you of Parker's HP platinum upgrade queue model if it is the prevailing model after consolidation of DM with FF.

It's not based on time of web check if at the gate or waiting for auto-upgrade but on BIS miles in the past rolling year. So if your gold going to CP you're still behind CP's who earn it the hard way and transposed golds that have more BIS miles than you. ^

Perhaps they are just trying to get you to fly more now without you knowing that this will be the prevailing algorithm. You will have have the advantage over golds who do not take the offer, though.
I don't necessarily think that that's necessarily unfair....though you could make an argument that straight fare class within status is more fair. But just be happy we aren't on CO who treats non-elite full-fare coach better than Plat. discount-coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.