BBB update

Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM
BBB update

I saw his name mentioned in another thread and was curious if "my neighbor" had shipped out of town. Sure enough his house was sold on 5/16/05:

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/

enter 1225 Stuart Robeson.

He "only" made 50% on his house since 1999, which is way below average for this bubble market, but he bought it at 13% less than what the PO paid for it in 1994. That is very strange because 1994 was just about the trough of the RE market.

Where did he wind up? Spirit?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:31 am

Don't know where he is, but thought this was interesting:

http://contracts.onecle.com/usairway...02.07.25.shtml

Originally Posted by gnaget
I saw his name mentioned in another thread and was curious if "my neighbor" had shipped out of town. Sure enough his house was sold on 5/16/05:

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/

enter 1225 Stuart Robeson.

He "only" made 50% on his house since 1999, which is way below average for this bubble market, but he bought it at 13% less than what the PO paid for it in 1994. That is very strange because 1994 was just about the trough of the RE market.

Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:50 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
Yes, and he seems to be doing well. A couple of the roaches still hear from him an Mr. Biffle from time to time.

As the old saying goes................be careful what you wish for.......

I didn't think I would ever say this but I would take both of them back with open arms.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I didn't think I would ever say this but I would take both of them back with open arms.
HUH??? Can you explain yourself?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by lt1GM
HUH??? Can you explain yourself?
Ok. Lets start with Barry Biffle first. Barry was pro customer, but when he knew he was taking the side of an issue that was not popular, he did not shrink away. He stood his ground but took the time to explain why he was doing what he was doing. The last promotion we had was the 20 year promo at the end of the year. When we had concerns about how that promo worked, he emailed me personally and shared the info we needed. Several times I received unsolicited communication from him offering to take care of one problem or another. We now have gentlemen in charge of marketing that has been responsible for the web site the past two years or so. What does that tell you? Several words come to mind, but dysfunctional floats to the top. Let me ask one more time, when was the last time we saw a promotion?

Ok, now for our nemesis, BBB. Ben justifiably incurred the wrath of this board and was the genesis for the formation of the cockroaches. However with that said, he was willing to reverse decisions that were made and was willing to listen to the issues that were put before him. His replacement has the reputation within the hallow halls of CCY as having one of the most negative views towards customers of any member of management. Current management has made if quite clear they have no desire to hear from any of us. At least when there was an open dialogue, we knew were we stood.

Hope that explains the comment.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Hope that explains the comment.
Actually, it does. I have met Barry @ Roachfest '04 and he seemed to be a good guy. I'm still not positive about BBB, b/c of the reasons you mentioned. I'm just not sure it was his concern for his customers that made him reverse some decisions.

I suspect it was the failure of almost all key competitors to jump on the "Let's Not Give Elite Qualifying Miles For Low Low Fares" bandwagon. In the end it doesn't matter, since the few airlines who tried it have now also reversed course (see DL, CO).
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

It wasn't just low, low fares (now implemented to some extent by DL, SAS, BA, LH, etc.)

It was anything below Y/B !!!

I had volunteered to go urinate on his lawn back in 2002, but then noone took me up on it and now I realize that he lived in a monster townhouse anyway and therefore didn't have a lawn. Is that a McTownhouse?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
poor thing, hopefully he has avoided the airline business and has found greener pastures like many US employees are doing:

US Airways argues for retention program

STAN CHOE AND TONY MECIA

Staff Writers

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - US Airways' survival plan of merging with America West may be in jeopardy if its managers continue to leave for higher pay or better job security, executives testified in bankruptcy court Tuesday.

To stem the exodus of 20 to 40 managers per month, US Airways says it needs to offer severance packages to those workers as they work to complete the integration, which will cost many of them their jobs.

Labor unions have roared about the proposal, which could cost tens of millions of dollars, saying it isn't fair after they sacrificed pay and pension plans during the bankruptcy process. The U.S. Trustee overseeing the bankruptcy case also objected.

Judge Stephen Mitchell said he senses the frustration.

"This motion is not playing well in Peoria," he said in court, after noting US Airways workers may already feel demoralized because of the pay cuts.

But the departures of managers and other salaried staff is hurting the airline's day-to-day operations, with about 300 jobs still waiting to be filled, executives said. The airline hopes to enact the severance program for nearly 1,900 workers.

"This is our last chance to survive," said Hans Mirka, a US Airways director and chair of the board's human resources committee. "For that to happen, we need the support of management employees." Mirka would not receive any severance pay under the proposal.

The airline is losing managers to low-cost carriers, travel-related companies such as Orbitz.com and others, testified Jerry Glass, the airline's chief human resources officer. And it's unable to hire new workers to fill the void, he said.

Since relapsing into bankruptcy protection in September, the company has hired only about 15 managers and salaried staff. And the airline had to offer signing bonuses to get them, Glass testified.

The airline needs those workers to combine the payrolls and complex computer systems of US Airways and America West, Glass said.

The fate of the deal is crucial for Charlotte, US Airways' largest hub, which is home to 5,600 of the airline's 24,000 workers. If the merger falls through, it puts US Airways at renewed risk of liquidation. If it succeeds, Charlotte could remain a major hub for years to come.

US Airways' labor groups attacked the proposal from several angles:

• They pointed to management's promise to share in the sacrifice of cutting pay and benefits to keep the airline afloat.

• The Communications Workers of America, which represents about 5,000 airline customer-service and reservation agents, said it was able to get 2,209 signatures in four days for a petition saying the retention program is unfair.

• The pilots argued the plan would unfairly place executive severance pay at the head of the line if the airline were to liquidate. Now, executive severance would be lower on the priority list.

The U.S. Trustee overseeing the case also disagreed with the proposal. Not only will it further hurt employee morale, the retention plan covers too many workers, said Jack Franklin, attorney for the U.S. Trustee.

"You could argue every employee is essential," he said, "otherwise they wouldn't be employed."

As originally proposed last month, the retention program would likely cost between $16 million and $21 million, the company said, although it could cost the full $55 million if all workers lost their jobs -- which the company says is unlikely.

It consists of new employment contracts for the top two dozen executives, a revised severance policy for 1,873 salaried workers and money the company could dole out on a case-by-case basis to retain workers.

Since unveiling the retention proposal, the company agreed to trim its cost by $4 million by cutting back on the potential severance amounts paid to the top two dozen officers.

Under the proposed changes, for the first time since taking over a year ago, CEO Bruce Lakefield would have his employment contract altered. If he lost his job through merger or liquidation, he would receive double his base pay and bonus, instead of triple. He earns $425,000 a year.

Attorneys are to give closing statements today and Mitchell could rule from the bench.

Merger Road Map

In his sole ruling Tuesday, Judge Stephen Mitchell approved procedures outlining a road map for the merger of US Airways and America West through the bankruptcy process, limiting to 30 days any potential competing bids.

US Airways said it sought the window to "shake the tree and see if there's any higher, better offer." At the same time, the airline said it wanted to receive any potential bids quickly so that it can emerge from bankruptcy protection as soon as possible.

If no other suitors emerge, the two carriers would exclusively negotiate a merger.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:55 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It's fairly evident that this proposed deal is an acquisition, not a merger. As such, you can expect very few survivors from US at newco, and the CCY people know it. There are a few bright lights, like Chiames, who I would think can reemploy himself in a number of places. I should think he'd be a keeper in the merger. As customers, we can expect a lot of changes. Businesses tend to be a product of their history, and that will disappear, so you will have AWA with a different name, and that's not the same. One person that has turned out to be a stand up guy is Lakefield. With the RSA investment wiped out, and he really being a part of that, his incentive to do anything was diminished. In spite of that, he did the best he could for the employee group. Meanwhile, I agree with "longing 4 piedmont"...they don't care what anyone thinks over there. As for "gnaget"...hold your water. We may need your services elsewhere before this is over.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Oh, I decided to vote with my feet and am now a "United man". Although I am taking a rare US flight this evening.

I am heading to DTW and I think the ridiculously low airfare is due to competition from BBB's new employer, Spirit.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:15 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Chiames is a very, very good "designated liar." Err, spokesperson. My bad.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:23 am
Original Poster

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business...E01-164900.htm
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Holy smoke, why I am flying UA/US RJs when I can fly Spirit business class DCA-DTW on a jet for only $198???? It only costs $23 more for C class.

Also, I think BBB is already casting his fat shadow. His replacing the MD80s with Airbus 319s. The former have 4 rows of businss while the latter have two rows........
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Chiames is a very, very good "designated liar." Err, spokesperson. My bad.
Isn't a Spokesperson for a company by the very nature of the job the "Designated Liar?"

Chris Chiames is many things but having gotten to know him, I don't know to many people who work harder. You want to debate the application of his energies, that's cool.

RoachFEST '04 could NOT have gone on without his support.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:35 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by PineyBob
Isn't a Spokesperson for a company by the very nature of the job the "Designated Liar?"
Nope. Depends entirely upon the company. At mine, we'll say nothing before telling some of the whoppers that Chiames has let fly on behalf of US. To each his own, I guess.

Chris Chiames is many things but having gotten to know him, I don't know to many people who work harder. You want to debate the application of his energies, that's cool.
Good for him. I work hard too, but I also sleep well at night knowing that I don't have to impersonate Joe Isuzu on a daily basis. I suppose everyone has to be good at something.

RoachFEST '04 could NOT have gone on without his support.
Not everyone judges folks at CCY by how much participation or support they gave to RoachFEST, hard is that is to believe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.