3 More clubs to close

Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Awful news.

I've been flying out of LAX almost every week recently, about half on US and half on AA.

Guess who my transcon business is going to exclusively now. You guessed it. AA. I had been enduring a connection at PIT or CLT to help keep US afloat, but AA flies nonstop from IAD, with a far better First Class product that I've been able to upgrade into every time.

I wasn't planning on renewing my US Club membership this year anyway; this gives me all the more reason to go with a Qantas Club membership (for entry into both AA and US clubs) or an AA Admirals Club membership only.

I fly enough short hauls on US that access to the CLT, DCA, and PIT clubs will still be nice, but the closing of the LAX club means that I'm not going to be paying US for the privilege of this access...I'll be paying Qantas.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by la2clt
She said to write in and complain about no club access, but I don't think it will do anything. (
I already sent an e-mail to Deborah Thompson. To paraphrase my e-mail: I will not subject myself to the Terminal 1 security line hazing ritual just to fly US. The Club membership was my get out of jail free card, and now that the club is closing, I could just as well fly UA out of LAX, get lounge access (yes, I was one of the few people who bought the RCC access), E+ seating AND an elite security line.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:41 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
UA is looking better and better as far as transcon flying goes, especially out of LAX, where the Club was the only oasis of sanity in that otherwise awful Terminal 1.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I almost always take a redeye out of LAX, when Terminal 1 is empty (Southwest doesn't fly redeyes). But at most other times of the day it's a zoo.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Wow. I thought some other clubs in smaller cities were on the chopping block but not MCO, PBI, LAX and SFO. Looks like this does away with all of the clubs West of the Missisippi.

No more transcon on US--that is for sure. I can slip gently down to GP especially with the unhappy meals in F.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:32 pm

Makes perfect sense to me! Drive away the higher yielding FF customer and replace them with Ma & Pa Kettle @ $184.00 Round Trip fares.

Perhaps they wil find a way to blame this debacle on organinzed labor as well. We all know they NEVER ever make mistakes at least in there own mind.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: US1
I am really pissed. I would have never thought LAX and SFO clubs would close before they were to move closer to UA. I just bought my club memberships for basically nothing. The only clubs I really use is PHL when waiting for an international flight and DCA.

I would have thought BWI would have closed before LAX or SFO.

I think this move that US has made is going to make many people start switching over to other airlines.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by la2clt
She also said the RUMOR was that HP was looking into the current club site. This will make byrdluvsawaco very happy.

I've heard this rumor from numerous sources, and I think it's true. With all of HP's expanded flying from LAX, a club there makes perfect sense. Conveniently, HP flies from T1 as well. I give HP a few weeks before they announce that they're moving in.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:52 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN

I think this move that US has made is going to make many people start switching over to other airlines.
Just from the FFOCUS members that I've been in contact with today, the exodus may have begun. This may be the straw that breaks apart the close relationship many of us have had with US.

I've been trying to read between the lines on this since the rumor was started a few days ago... something else is going to go down. I don't really know what it is, but this is the beginning of some other things coming. Call it a gut feeling (and from the size of my gut, that's something).
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
I am really pissed....The only clubs I really use is PHL when waiting for an international flight and DCA.
Just curious, but if you only use the Clubs in PHL and DCA, why are you upset about MCO, PBI, LAX, and SFO closing?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:39 pm

For those of you who've recently purchased your club memberships and are severely affected by the closures, I'd phone your credit card companies and dispute the charge. Tell them you bought into something that doesn't exist for you anymore. It can't hurt, and US really deserves to have it stuck to them on this one.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:40 pm

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
Just curious, but if you only use the Clubs in PHL and DCA, why are you upset about MCO, PBI, LAX, and SFO closing?

Because SFO and LAX are my other 2 most popular destinations that I fly to and I usually get to the airport extra early for LAX and SFO due to traffic, ect.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Fortunately I bought my membership with miles. I am, however, very irritated as I fly through LAX at least once a month. I agree that the security line at T-1 in LAX is enough to make me want to suck it up and fly E+ on UA or keep building miles on AA.

Think I'll drop Deborah an e-mail...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:33 am

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
Bad move. I was very close to buying a membership--specifically for the LAX club since I fly RT LAX-PIT regularly (and often pay higher last minute fares). I guess now I'll pass on the club. The RCC at LAX is very nice but it does me no good if I am flying US from T-1.

I may consider flying UA now or even Delta especially on a non-redeye to avoid T-1 security line. Actually the UA 4:15 LAX-IAD is more convenient for me anyway in some ways because of the later departure-even though it is not direct as I get four more hours of work accomplished in LA and don't lose and entire business day.

Did someone do a cost-benefit analysis at CCY
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:13 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by Wave1
Did someone do a cost-benefit analysis at CCY
You're making a big assumption asking this question... that someone in CCY actually knows what a "cost-benefit analysis" is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.