Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They might as well hang it up now

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by phillyd2
Yeah right. Is anybody here willing to pay a premium for better service? Of course not. We all want to go to Heaven without dying.
Yeah. I am willing to pay a premium. I don't have a finite amount as it varies with budget and route. However, I rarely even check a LCC for any given trip. If it's too expensive - I use miles.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:11 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Well, I was paying a premium (a small one but a premium nonetheless) to fly on US Airways when Delta didn't work out for various reasons.

I have taken many more flights on Delta but have had far more problems on US. It's one screw-up after another, and the latest one is the proverbial camel back straw. I can tolerate schedule cuts, delays, messy planes and delayed bags (up to a point), but when PHL employees are rude and sarcastic to me, I have no problem cutting up my UA 1P card (not enough UA flights to qualify)
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by JS
I can tolerate schedule cuts, delays, messy planes and delayed bags (up to a point), but when PHL employees are rude and sarcastic to me, I have no problem cutting up my UA 1P card (not enough UA flights to qualify)

I agree with you entire statement. I can put up with the normal problems all airlines have but will not tolerate rude and sarcastic employees.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:27 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Why Do You Want Elite Status on US?

Originally Posted by journalist212
I mentioned the issues I've had, and also requested a status match (to my top tier on AA.)
If you dislike US so much, why would you ask for a comp? If you present DM with a laundry list of complaints, and by the way, comp me to your elite status, they may be recalling another journalist whom they banned.

There's one carrier I don't like . . . but I certainly don't read or post on that board to "educate" their executives!
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
There's one carrier I don't like . . . but I certainly don't read or post on that board to "educate" their executives!
^

I can't stand Hunt's ketchup. But I certainly don't take the time to write them or complain to them. Nor do I worry or care at all about those who do like Hunt's ketchup.

I just buy Heinz ketchup and get on with my life.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by planeluvr
I agree with you entire statement. I can put up with the normal problems all airlines have but will not tolerate rude and sarcastic employees.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but in over 100,000 miles of flying on US I haven't encountered even one rude US Airways employee. Maybe it's because I don't spend much time flying through PHL, where it seems employee morale is worst.

American Airlines has far more rude employees, in my experience at least.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Maybe I'm just lucky, but in over 100,000 miles of flying on US I haven't encountered even one rude US Airways employee. Maybe it's because I don't spend much time flying through PHL, where it seems employee morale is worst.

I have not encountered many rude U frontline employees either. I was saying if I did I would not tolerate it. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:13 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
If you dislike US so much, why would you ask for a comp? If you present DM with a laundry list of complaints, and by the way, comp me to your elite status, they may be recalling another journalist whom they banned.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just dont buy the product if you dont like it......but why would you want a status match if you dont like the product? I cant imagine spending this much effort on a product I have no desire to use.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:11 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by otralot
Wow, I couldn't disagree with this more. This attitude is part of the problem. No airline in America can actually afford to lose a customer. A better business model would be to assume that every screw up is an opportunity to prove what a good airline you are.

Appearances can be deceiving...The fact is I am high rev customer just not on your airline at the present. Now I've bought a ticket on your airline maybe for price, schedule or some other reason. Why waste the opportunity to win me over.

A couple of years ago, I got bumped off a NW flight to UA and got lousy service on UA including since I was a late booked pax I was told I might not get a meal. You'd think the airline might be thinking this guy just got sent to us because his flight was canceled he must be miffed at that other airline lets treat him right. You got it. I have only flow UA once since that time.

No instead they take the attitude of your just passing through and since we don't know you--no status with us--we can just treat you like a one off pax.

Bad business sense.

Better business sense treat every pax as potential status flyer. Few things are worse for airline then bad word of mouth. Everyone talks about travel nightmares why would you want your name associated with that?

I am not saying that I agree with the attitude, I am saying that is what I perceive the attitude to be. I have not flown a single mile on DL since my incident and do not intend to -- despite the fact that my true home airport, MLB, is only served by DL. I would rather drive an hour to put up with screaming kids on every flight out of MCO than my DL out of MLB. And, it was their (lack of) customer service that did it for me.

If I run into the same level of CS at US, I will not likely fly them either. However, I think that with gold status, I will be treated reasonably well -- my expectations aren't all that high, for that matter.

Stevekoe
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:49 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by wahooflyer

I agree. That's why I dropped AA in favor of DL and US for the most part. I gave AA another chance last year with their buy two NY-CA roundtrips, get a free worldwide ticket, and they ****ed up that one too. The whole point of the promotion was to get people to try AA instead of JetBlue, and all they did was demonstrate why JetBlue is here to stay.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Yeah. I am willing to pay a premium. I don't have a finite amount as it varies with budget and route. However, I rarely even check a LCC for any given trip. If it's too expensive - I use miles.

But the average Joe does not have that option. I think most people go by price, period. Unless, like us here in PHL, we have one carrier that is predominant in the market. I flew Lufthansa last Oct. and their customer service during the flight was great - they feed you something every hour. Those flight attendants work hard! (I wonder what the pay scale difference is b/w Lufthansa and USAir - Lufthansa's flight attendants do a lot more work!) I have no idea what the flight would have cost, since I went on a package deal. But as nice as the flight was, I wouldn't pay 100s of dollars extra just to be fed so often.

The thing with customer service, is that it really takes so little to leave a good impression. I was trying to get my husband a ticket home from Jacksonville after the Super Bowl and USAir was sold out the Monday afterward. I put a ticket on hold, and then called back to confirm it. I mentioned in passing to the res clerk that my husband really wanted to come home on Monday. She then volunteered to double check the Mondays schedule to see if anything had become available. Wow! I was really impressed by that - and it took her maybe 30 extra seconds to check. The little things, that many times don't even cost anything, do make a difference.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Yeah right. Is anybody here willing to pay a premium for better service? Of course not. We all want to go to Heaven without dying.

Im sorry but this is exactly the attitude that is at least partially responsible for the situation US and the other legacy carriers are in. It isnt just about price. It is about value and that includes the service provided. The perception of the majority of the people who fly (who arent elite US flyers - there are only a few of us) is that the service on WN and B6 is better than on US. Better service, same or lower cost makes not flying US a no brainer. US has to improve customer service. But I agree it is unreasonable to expect it to happen overnight.

But do we know if there are any initiatives underway, training or whatever? I should mention that I flew right before Christmas. I had some minor (relative to the PHL debacle that would unravel the next day) but I thought very unnecessary delays. Also I thought the passengers were not informed appropriately. I sent an email that night to CS. First one I ever sent. That was about Dec 22. I have gotten 2 or 3 messages saying we received your message with concerns and your opinions are very valuable to us but no actual response yet. Ive been a US1 for about 6 years and they cant get back to me in less than a month?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by stevekoe
-- despite the fact that my true home airport, MLB, is only served by DL. I would rather drive an hour to put up with screaming kids on every flight out of MCO than my DL out of MLB.

Stevekoe
Stevekoe, there was an article in this week's local paper that MLB is in talks with US to add service from MLB to Charlotte:

Melbourne International Airport is in talks with US Airways about adding service from Melbourne to Charlotte, N.C.

But, at this stage, it is just conversation, said Melbourne International Executive Director Richard Ennis.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:50 pm

Willing is an interesting choice of words. I book the fare available at the time. If it's a B fare or a W fare and it gets me there that's what I book. Pure & Simple.

Now just a case in point. I e-mailed BBB who is now CEO of Spirit regarding switching my liesure travel to Spirit as my new Girlfriend loves the Caribean and Spirit is big there. B Ben Baldanza responded to me personally in under 5 hours with the info I requested. Anybody who has been around knows that Ben and I got off to a mighty rocky start to say the least. So it would be safe to say that I might be the LAST person he would respond to in a timely fashion.

Turns out that BBB is a class act despite his one mistake. I called for the man to be fired in a national publication and he responds to me quicker than the Sandcastle. Should tell you something.

Frankly the Sandcastle is a joke when it comes to customer response. That is MY issue!
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Keep in mind folks, this thread is over 1 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.