To use or to save miles?

Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
To use or to save miles?

What should I do with 52,000 US Airways Dividend miles? I haven't flown US Air for the past couple years, but am concerned that if they don't make it too long my miles might go to waste. (Hopefully they'll pull through) The only flights I have scheduled for the next few months are BOS-MCO-BOS, which I can book on Song for $130r/t n/s. Is it worth it to use my USAir miles for this trip for BOS-MCO w/stop in CLT, PHL, or DCA? Or should I just do nothing to this account as I have in the past couple of years and hope I'll have a better occasion and USair is still around?
Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:09 pm

Programs: Now a lowly US PP
Use them if you can....because that's what they're for. I wouldn't go out of my way to use them just in case they disappear. You said you haven't flown US Airways for quite a while, and the miles have been there. I assume that if you really wanted/needed to use them, you would have by now.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:10 pm

Programs: Now a lowly US PP
P.S. Welcome to Flyer Talk!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:19 pm

If you have miles in another account, then go ahead and burn the 50,000. Take someone on a weekend trip or just get an F ticket somewhere you wouldn't have gone if it weren't for the miles.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Since you do not fly US that much, even if they were healthy, I'd just burn the miles on an F ticket somewhere and make a nice weekend out of it. Program changes can devalue your miles with little to no warning, and added with US' current...precarious...financial state, I would not sit on a mileage balance if I did not have to.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
50,000 miles = 1 economy trip to Europe. Go for the weekend!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
One thing to consider is the benefit of having 50000 in the bank. That means you can do a premium award and fly on the spur of the moment anytime there is a Y class seat. There's a lot of piece of mind knowing if you're suddenly needed on the opposite coast - with the exception of a few super-busy sold out days a year - you can go for free (maybe a rapid redemption fee) but at least not the $1000 walk-up price.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sts603
One thing to consider is the benefit of having 50000 in the bank.
Unless the bank goes bankrupt...
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:22 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I would use them only if they are about to expire since there has been no activity with U for a couple of years. 50,000 miles is not alot to lose if U goes under but can save you big money (like sts603 stated) if you need to get somewhere fast and at the last minute.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:26 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Burn Baby Burn! :d :d
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
thanks for the opinions! I'm not sure what my decision is yet...
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
At one point, about two years ago from now I found myself with something on the order of a million miles in two airlines, both of which were in Ch11. And several airlines were raising redemption rates. Your miles are in uninsured savings that dont pay interest and are subject to inflation. Use them. It doesnt matter which airline.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Usage of 52,000 miles

If I were you, I would use those miles to fly First or Business Class on United's new premium transcontinental service from JFK to LAX and back. Many times, US Airways agents don't realize that United requires 60,000 miles for First Class since they have many 3-class aircraft opposed to US Airways 2-class aircraft, so you might end up in First Class. A final note about UnitedFirst on its new premium service, it features lie-flat seats, exactly like the ones offered by Singapore Airlines in Raffles/Business Class (several pictures available at www.airliners.net).

US Airways is in a very difficult situation, you might want to burn those miles before the end of January 2005.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Burning 52,000

Sorry, I forgot to mention that regardless of where you decide to fly to, you should try to fly UnitedFirst instead of First Class on US Airways. You can use your US Airways miles to fly United and any other Star Alliance partner.

Currently, US Airways' first class product is probably the worst among major carriers. UnitedFirst is much nicer, you will probably get a decent meal served on china. US Airways uses plastic cups to serve beverages on all domestic first class flights now. Horrible.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by fly747first
Sorry, I forgot to mention that regardless of where you decide to fly to, you should try to fly UnitedFirst instead of First Class on US Airways. You can use your US Airways miles to fly United and any other Star Alliance partner.

Currently, US Airways' first class product is probably the worst among major carriers. UnitedFirst is much nicer, you will probably get a decent meal served on china. US Airways uses plastic cups to serve beverages on all domestic first class flights now. Horrible.
Absolutely correct. Even on a transcon business class (and first is nicer) on UA you will get a decent meal on a china. Hot towels, probably at take of and landing, etc. Far above US service. And this is in business on UA, again, first will be nicer. I think (someone correct me if Im wrong here) that on transcons you also get access to the first class lounges if you are in first. At least at JFK. Not sure how that works though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.