Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from first

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G
Downgraded from first

Granted, I was traveling on a discounted A fare but still it was a purchased first class ticket.

At the gate in Charlotte I was paged and informed that because of an equipment change I had been downgraded to economy on the CLT-PHL part of my itinerary. When I informed the gate agent that the aircraft behind her was a 737 and that a 737 was scheduled to operate the flight she conceded that these downgrades usually happen because of aircraft changes and that she was unable to explain why I had been bumped from first class.

She apologized profusely and said her hands were tied since this was done by operations and unless somebody did not claim their F seat I’d have to take my new seat in Y. The fact that I had a boarding pass with a seat assignment was immaterial. She did block the seat next to me in Y and told me to contact Consumer Affairs.

I don’t fly US very often but in my years of travel on other airlines never ever ever have I been bumped out of a first class seat, not even when traveling on upgrades. Is this how US usually operates? As far as I’m concerned they owe me a really good explanation and some compensation before I’ll even consider flying them again.

It’s a shame, really, since all of the front line people I’ve come in contact with at US have been extremely nice and accommodating, which is admirable in these difficult times for both the employees and the airline.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Very sorry to hear this happened to you. I've never heard anything like it. With a purchased A fare? Very hard to believe they wouldn't bump one of those lousy Cockroach Preferreds on a free upgrade before you... You are right to be upset and are due some apologies and compensation. Good luck!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You are entitled to compensation for the fare difference for that segment. You should also receive additional compensation for what happened, though you're not entitled to it.

It is possible that your seat was stolen by the government for an air marshal to use.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by lt1GM
Very sorry to hear this happened to you. I've never heard anything like it. With a purchased A fare? Very hard to believe they wouldn't bump one of those lousy Cockroach Preferreds on a free upgrade before you... You are right to be upset and are due some apologies and compensation. Good luck!
It has happened to me before (a few times) and I am CP. No compensation. An A fare is not guaranteed FC fare--limited seats are available--I have booked A fares to ATL and FC is not always available--there is no fare difference. It stinks, but it happens. Even though they owe you no compensation, I would bet that Consumer Affairs would give you a guaranteed upgrade certificate for your next flight.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Whoa ! !

That is, indeed, horrific. I've never heard of such a thing and can only imagine how mad I would be. This is very much a situation for Consumer Affairs to be aware of.

The closest I came to something like this was on the old 01UPSYS upgrades. Long story short, the two of us were totally shortchanged of our upgrades from PHL --> CDG by one of the PHL club reps who leapfrogged us to put a group of 6 Silvers that she knew well into Envoy. Was I ever steamed!!! We played by the rules, did everything as planned, were top of the waiting list until the last 45 minutes, when suddenly we dropped to 7 and 8. Huh ?!?!? Really maddening.

Good luck finding out what REALLY happened in this situation. As a point of reference, you should be aware that US has the capability to review situations like this in great detail and actually trace KEYSTROKES back to every single Gate Agent involved. Good luck
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
That is, indeed, horrific. I've never heard of such a thing and can only imagine how mad I would be. This is very much a situation for Consumer Affairs to be aware of.
I'm telling you, it happens and the only thing they will probably do is give you an upgrade certificate. There is no fare difference because A is not a FC guaranteed seat. I have actually had an A fare and not been able to upgrade, but because I had CP status, the upgrade was available. It's very odd how it all works. I have been on flights downgraded from 767 to 757 which only has 8 seats in FC--16 people bumped from FC.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I've never had it happen on US (but then I just figured out how to find the A fare on web in the first place), but it has happened to me twice on DL.

I'm guessing as Spiff noted that an air marshal got your seat. I think all of US's 737 are configured the same in first, so if it was 737 for 737 swap this really doesn't make sense and the only explanation that I can think of is the air marshal.

All I can say is the gate agent is lucky it wasn't Spiff who got bumped.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I'll be interested--as well as surprised--if you can get any details. I fly almost exclusively domestically on A-fares and your scenario scares the hell of me. It's never happened to me but if this is a new trend, they'll lose lots of dollars as I move to roach fares instead.

One of the benefits of living in my beloved 1A is that I never get bumped from FC in the case of a real downgrade in aircraft.

UGH--I'm all anxious now!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
It is possible that your seat was stolen by the government for an air marshal to use.
Indeed, thank goodness that 737 from CLT-PHL was well protected.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: DL - Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Glob
This is a bit off topic, but what if you pay a full F fare, but there are no F seats available? Is compensation due? If so how much? Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:37 am

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by JLM_USAIR
This is a bit off topic, but what if you pay a full F fare, but there are no F seats available? Is compensation due? If so how much? Thanks!
Oversold situation - DBing will/should occur.

-JC
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G
Unbelievable!!!!!! I just got off the phone with Consumer Affairs and the compensation they offered me was: NOTHING!

This is why:

1. I was bumped because of a "federal requirement" (air mashall), and no compensation is given in these cases.

2. An A ticket really is a coach ticket that has been upgraded so no refund of part of the fare.

3. The other first class passenger's combination of fare paid and status trumped mine.

My next step is to write a letter to US and if they give me the same BS I'll just write this off to a bad experience and forget I've ever heard of US Airways. I would have been satisfied with a coupon for a couple of hundred bucks, and it wouldn't have cost them much since I'd be buying another ticket from them. Oh well, back to United I guess.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by renalt130
Unbelievable!!!!!! I just got off the phone with Consumer Affairs and the compensation they offered me was: NOTHING!

This is why:

1. I was bumped because of a "federal requirement" (air mashall), and no compensation is given in these cases.

2. An A ticket really is a coach ticket that has been upgraded so no refund of part of the fare.

3. The other first class passenger's combination of fare paid and status trumped mine.

My next step is to write a letter to US and if they give me the same BS I'll just write this off to a bad experience and forget I've ever heard of US Airways. I would have been satisfied with a coupon for a couple of hundred bucks, and it wouldn't have cost them much since I'd be buying another ticket from them. Oh well, back to United I guess.
What a bunch of whiners!!!! GEEEEEZ
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I have to agree, it's an A fare, not an F fare, so technically you sat in your ticketed cabin.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by renalt130
I'll just write this off to a bad experience and forget I've ever heard of US Airways. I would have been satisfied with a coupon for a couple of hundred bucks, and it wouldn't have cost them much since I'd be buying another ticket from them. Oh well, back to United I guess.
Good bye !!!!

You received an explantion. Do not blame US if you didn't read the terms of the ticket prior to purchase. And before you say it, it is your responsiblity to know the terms and condition of the ticket. You were entitled to NOTHING and so you think you would be happy if US gave a couple hundred off your next ticket. Get real.

If you want to complain to somebody, write your congressman and tell him how you feel about being bumped to coach. It will do you just about as much good as being mad at US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.