Amsterdam Lounge: Daybeds, showers???

Subscribe
Hi...Have a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam coming up and wondered what I can expect in terms of lounges. Have status and an Envoy ticket, so I can get in everywhere.

What is/are the best lounges? Is there anywhere with daybeds to nap, like in Munich? What about showers? Any tips about where to go and hang out? Any and all tips are appreciated!
you will have access to the Hotel Mercure or another option (can't recall) for showers, shave etc., there is a placard out front for the cost of a day bed etc.

it is right in the airport, upstairs by the airline lounges
IIRC, the other option is the Sheraton that's attached to the airport. Don't know if they provide a room, or just access to their health club facilities. Point is, you'll at least be able to get a shower and some breakfast.

Here's what the US website says about the facilities (http://www.usairways.com/travel/intl...al_lounges.htm):

Amsterdam, Netherlands - Schiphol Airport

Location: Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, check in at main reception
Location: Hotel Mercure, before Customs & Immigration, in the Main Hall, up the escalator one floor

Arriving Envoy Class passengers have their choice of two facilities, where they will need to check in at the reception desk to present a boarding pass and the invitation received onboard. Both facilities provide showers and breakfast.
Quote: What is/are the best lounges? Is there anywhere with daybeds to nap, like in Munich? What about showers? Any tips about where to go and hang out? Any and all tips are appreciated!
Hi there,
With 7 hours, why not leave the airport and go into the city? There is a direct train from the airport to the city centre every 15 minutes and it's only a few euros each way. If you use the other suggestions for a shower to freshen up, there is still enough time to warrant a trip.

Once in Amsterdam, there is *plenty* to do for a few hours. I did this recently on a long (11 hour) connection in AMS and really enjoyed it.

All the best,
Jason
Quote: Hi there,
With 7 hours, why not leave the airport and go into the city? There is a direct train from the airport to the city centre every 15 minutes and it's only a few euros each way. If you use the other suggestions for a shower to freshen up, there is still enough time to warrant a trip.

Once in Amsterdam, there is *plenty* to do for a few hours. I did this recently on a long (11 hour) connection in AMS and really enjoyed it.

All the best,
Jason

With a 7 hour layover there are endless things to do in de Dam. The train costs about 3.20 1w and takes about 20 minutes to Amsterdam Centraal. From there just walk up the Damrak, if you make a left where you see the "Grasshopper" building you'll be heading into the red light. Will your layover be during the day or at night.

Just about all of the old center is an easy walk from the train station.

Enjoy!!
Quote: Hi there,

All the best,
Jason
The shower and then the trip into the city is a MUST!!!!

It's safe, fun, interesting, and English is spoken nearly everywhere.

Oh, yes, the food is good, too.

My only challenge in Amsterdam is that most coin phones won't call my ATT access number. I did get the green ones to work for free, though.

I have a stripkartten (sp?) that is still good for the trams if the OP wants it.
To digress slightly, the US website does show the Sheraton Hotel and Towers as an arrival option for Envoy passengers in Frankfurt. Before I departed on a recent trip, however, I checked with internat'l reservations, the USAir club, the CP desk, the int'l counter agent in CLT, and the hotel (by email) and no one ever heard of this option. I ended up paying a day rate at the hotel (135 Euros) since my layover was approximately 7 hours. Has anyone successfully used this option recently, and if so, what did you do to snag a room? Thanks.
As another poster noted, Envoy passengers have access to the Hotel Mercure at AMS. Basically, you get access to their health club area where you can shower and freshen up. You can also partake of their breakfast buffet. I would imagine if you wanted a day room you'd have to pay their normal rate.

However, I imagine the original poster was asking about the actual *Alliance lounges and whether they have these facilities. I haven't visited any of them, so I'm no help in that regard.

By all means, take the train into the city for few hours! It's a great city just to wander around in and take in the sights. The glass-topped boat tour is enjoyable, but is easy to fall asleep on after an overnight flight ;-)
just do not buy one of those good smelling and rather "large cigarettes", they offer in the "Coffee Shops" for 3 Euro. Even if you share one of those with your fellow travellers, you might feel really strange (but not bad...) for a couple of hours.
would be bad, if you have to get to the airport right after...