Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways employees have already given up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Did you ever work for US Airways?

Originally Posted by murrayhill
First off, I'm not one to automatically rag on employees. As a two-time shop steward, including at a company that went Chapter 11, I know first-hand what the average US Airways employees are experiencing. Morale is rightfully in the Dumpster. But faced with a similar situation, I knew better than to take out my frustrations on customers.
Last week, my wife got bumped from an oversold flight from LGA to Ithaca. Incredibly, they offered two vouchers to anywhere in the Continental 48 and she grabbed them. Not bad, but for her two-hour delay, could they give her a courtesy pass to the club?
"Sorry, that's the one thing I can't do."
Sure you can, you just didn't want to be bothered.
Flash forward a few days later when I attempted to book a flight using the vouchers over the phone. A snippy agent offers to connect me to "that department" and lectured me that next time I should use the phone prompt (press 5) to book flights using vouchers. Who knew there was such a thing? I haven't booked a flight over the phone in years, and never with a voucher. Would it have been so much trouble for this agent to process my request. How busy was she at midnight?
Of course, when I tried the number after first being transferred to the wrong place, a recording said something to the effect of: "Due to the increase in call volume and adverse weather conditions, our agents are assisting other customers. Please try your call later." Click.
I tried this route another 10 times before I called reservations back and got someone to help me, although she wasn't that happy about it.
When I then attempted to transfer the vouchers in person at the NYC ticket office, the snot behind the counter first tried to hit me up for 10 bucks a ticket for processing. "All the airlines are doing it now."
Duh.
But...
"I know what you're going to say."
"How about letting me finish my sentence first?" I calmly replied as I told him about the inequity of charging a fee for a ticket that I had no choice but to process in person.
Instead, he told me he'd "put a notation in the record to cover himself." No fee, but no voucher as my wife's last name (different from mine) was on both, he said she'd have to be present to sign them over. Notwithstanding the fact that they're transferable, he claimed (I believe falsely) that the transfer needed to be done in person.
Even if he is right, it was startling to have to endure the attitude he exhibited, starting off combative and being gleefully confrontational; unncessary and unwelcome.
I only fly US Airways now when I'm forced to (i.e. my company's contract for shuttle flights). Since Chapter 11 smiles have disappeared. Sullen gate agents barely acknowledge your presence. Grunts instead of thank yous. No eye contact. I don't expect them to whistle while they work. But I do expect a modicum of respect, a minimum of courtesy and some indication that they are professionals who can still take pride in a job well done.
I know what the average airline employee is going through. As such, I go out of my way to be polite and patient. Despite their circumstances, it would not be asking much to have US Airways employees reciprocate. It is one of the most vital parts of their job after all. If not, they deserve what they may inevitably get.
With all due respect, I disagree. I know of no regular CSA who could grant a freebie into the club. Take a moment to think about it...if a LGA agent has to offer 2 RTFCs to get a volunteer and needs to get that flight out and then efficiently takes care of the volunteer and then jumps back into the responsibility of working on the next flight, you really think she just didn't want to take the time to do something else that your spouse was not even remotely entitled to? She/he doesn't have the time AND she/he has no way to do it. That is why the response was what it was. It's the one thing he/she CANNOT do.
As far as the other events, I won't defend. One thing though, the correct policy is to have the issued person sign over the voucher in person. Sure, it isn't consistently applied depending on the circumstances. But, it's hard to turn someone away when say, they have driven 100miles to the airport to use it and the policy was not explained over the phone to them prior. So, if it's possible, agents try to work with people without getting in trouble with the company.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Umm, blast from the past!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Red face True but...

Re: blast from the past

1) I took the bait because the post-er stated his qualifications for judging the LGA agent's actions, and

2) I need the post!

-------------------------------------------
Ok, I realize my opinions are not always appreciated here but would the person who decided to invade my post space with this ad, please remove it.

Thanks.

Last edited by jan_believes; Mar 10, 2006 at 7:13 am Reason: an ad was added to my post without permission
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:11 am

Thank you for your kind comments about service.

Originally Posted by monitor
If the US employees are indeed giving up, it certainly was not in evidence on our last flight yesterday FLL-DCA. The DC based crew was the most pleasant and welcoming that could it be and the service was the most attentive that we have seen on a domestic flight in years.
We are awaiting the inauguration of the FLL-LGA nonstop service and have already bought our seats for its first week.
Just a note of interest to some that on 1488/30Sep there were two air marshals in FC, both clearly visible as such. I guess the govt figures that such visibility is as good a deterrent as any other methods that they might consider.
-------------------------------------
I actually want to address your statement about the air marshals.

Some of them want it both ways, anonymity but special treatment. Not the upgrade which they receive anyway but the way they present themselves at the airport and subsequently at the gate. They don't consider agents working their responsibilities to be as important as they are.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes

-------------------------------------------
Ok, I realize my opinions are not always appreciated here but would the person who decided to invade my post space with this ad, please remove it.

Thanks.
I'm 99.99% sure that the ads are randomly added by the FT software into whoever's post is unlucky.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by haveric
I'm 99.99% sure that the ads are randomly added by the FT software into whoever's post is unlucky.

You can see them in IE.. but with certain software, they are not there in Firefox
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't think the ads are placed randomly...it seems to be the third post on each page that gets them.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification

Really? Thanks for letting me know.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since my post from a year and a half ago was resurrected, I would like to comment that we have continued to be pleased with the service from FLL to DCA and LGA and have used US for those routes almost exclusively since that time.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I don't think the ads are placed randomly...it seems to be the third post on each page that gets them.
With a combination of Firefox, Ad Blocking Software, and a subscription to Inside Flyer, you can completely eliminate all ads on FT.
Some of the techies know how to fool around with their registers and get rid of the ads but I'm afraid to try that stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.