New info on UA club access....

Subscribe
Couldnt find this in a search.

IIRC, US announced a new fee for RCC access. But when I looked at the US sight today, there is a line that says, "Access to Red Carpet Clubs discontinued as of September 1, 2004."
http://www.usairways.com/pro_services/club/

What is this about, and do others have more info?
Your search missed this mega-thread
I know about the original thread. I'm just worried because the wording on the US site has changed.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
I know about the original thread. I'm just worried because the wording on the US site has changed.</font>
Huh? The first post on that thread contained the exact same quote from the web site you posted.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Access to Red Carpet Clubs discontinued as of September 1, 2004.</font>
That quote on the USAir web site was the first sign of trouble and we speculated about what it meant for days before the details were posted on the US website here.
My bad!
No problem. Since I don't know half as much as most of the people on here, I try to add value with good searching skills!
US is moving to a three tier club membership:
Base Membership: Only gives access to US clubs;
UA Upgrade: This upgrade gives you access also to UA clubs. I think it is about $120 on top of your club membership; and
Star Alliance Upgrade: This upgrade, for $220, gives you access to all star lounges.

US has lowered the prices of the base memberships, but I'm sure with these upgrades we will be paying more. I would be curious to see how UA's club fees compare to this new arrangement. Seems like a new way for US to nickel and dime us. I think this is the first time an airline had a three tiered club membership system. There is more information about this on www.usairways.com/club
Why would a US GP or CP pay the Star Alliance $220 access fee?-- I thought those level people get access to Star Alliance lounges automatically when traveling internationally.
nycommutter -- GP and CP will get free access to Star Alliance lounge when travelling internationally, the 220$ markup is for anybody else who wishes to access Star Alliances lounges I guess. I don't know how that will work, does anyone knows?how will *G lounges know that you are entitled access?

Out of curiosity, does anybody knows if there are a lot of US club members who are not GP or CP? To me I don't really see how to justify paying 300$ if you are not travelling that much!

Synd
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by synd:
Out of curiosity, does anybody knows if there are a lot of US club members who are not GP or CP? To me I don't really see how to justify paying 300$ if you are not travelling that much!

Synd
</font>
I got a SPOUSE membership for my wife when she was a mere SP - of course since then we have both become GP. I suspect MOST of the people who can justify spending $300 who don't travel that much either have enough money that they don't HAVE to justify it, or they are burning off accumulated Dividend Miles (so they are traveling alot but not earning status).