? Re: Upgrading United/US Codeshare

Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

? Re: Upgrading United/US Codeshare

Okay...I know this is probably old-hat to most of you, but it's the first UA/US codeshare I've ever done and I've read through a dozen threads and called US Airways and have some conflicting info being given to me, so I'd like to ask here:

I'm flying on an itinerary that contains 2 segments on US as a United Code-Share. That is to say they have United flight numbers, but it's actually US metal I'm flying. Domestic U.S. "V" fare. I'm a United 1K (= 100k Chairman Preferred). Res is set-up to have the miles credited to my United Mileage Plus account.

I've been told the only way to upgrade these, is by same-day "hail mary", and supporting it if it does clear by purchasing the 500 milers @ $40 a pop.

Most have said this is the only option of doing this. That I can't use my Dividend Miles, I can't use paper certs (like the DS0080 Confirmed North American Upgrade), and that I can't even use any 500 milers in my Dividend E-Bank. I have to purchase the "special" 500 milers at the airport. And can only attempt to upgrade same-day.

All because it's a United flight number.

Is this true? Have any of you experienced anything differently or have some other option you know of?

I ask because one US Airways rep said they thought if I could nail down a paper US Airways North American Confirmed Upgrade, that they thought I could. But most say no. None seem 100% certain.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 10-12-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
No, you can use your US E-upgrade bank. No problem. The assumption is that people don't have dual airline status when they write up the procedure.

I did it once. Also, I wound up with US and UA miles for the flight.

An complicating scenario though is when a UA preferred is regular status on US and tries to upgrade a non-Y/B fare using the US e-upgrade bank. (For example, someone loses status on US by focusing on UA but has some e-upgrades left in the bank.)
Old Oct 12, 2003, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">An complicating scenario though is when a UA preferred is regular status on US and tries to upgrade a non-Y/B fare using the US e-upgrade bank.</font>
But that should be allowed, right? Because the rules at the US Airways web site state United Premiers can use 500 milers on any published fare. Right?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">No, you can use your US E-upgrade bank. No problem.</font>
Funny part of this is that while there was some difference of opinion on whether or not paper confirmed certs could be applied to my ticket, 100% of the agents I talked to all said "no way" could I use any 500 milers I might have in my Dividend E-Bank. They said I could only use these "special" 500 milers (they say they are called PT500s) that can only be purchased as paper certs from US Airways Clubs or ticketing locations. They were very specific about this and also mentioned that I couldn't purchase these certs at the gate, and if I didn't use them they could not be converted into Dividend Miles for my account, like the E-Certs do.

I was told this was because my US flight held United codeshare flight numbers. But could this also be because I have my US flights set up with my Mileage Plus account to be credited for the flights? And somehow they can't pull the E-Certs unless my Dividend account number is in there instead?

Old Oct 12, 2003, 5:40 am

On a different note, what happens when a US1 wants to fly United. US1's do not have any e-upgrades to use in the first place as CP's get unlimited upgrades on US. I would like to try United, it might be nice to experience first class (as opposed to the big seat on US), but I'm unsure on the process.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:27 am

Premex, I gather that you don't have US status? I am just curious how you wound up with e-upgrades?

I guess the problem could be that one has to be eligible as a US to use one's e-upgrade bank. I am and therefore have no problem. Since you are only eligible via UA then you apparently have to buy these special upgrades. That could be the unfortunate explanation.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FloridaBound:
On a different note, what happens when a US1 wants to fly United. US1's do not have any e-upgrades to use in the first place as CP's get unlimited upgrades on US. I would like to try United, it might be nice to experience first class (as opposed to the big seat on US), but I'm unsure on the process.</font>
The reverse. You upgrade at the gate and have to buy special upgrades, probably $50 a pop in line with UA elite pricing.

Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Premex, I gather that you don't have US status? I am just curious how you wound up with e-upgrades?</font>
Correct on the no status on US. On the second question, I was considering using the "Buy 500 Milers With Dividend Miles" option, as I do have lots of Dividend miles (from current and past activity, but not enough to be elite). I didn't see any restriction about that option being for Elites only. Is that the case? Or is it perhaps that I can't even have any E-500 milers in my account unless I'm elite at US?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:59 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Here's another scenerio... I am SP. Bought a UA ticket, flying US metal and using US DM #. Has anyone used a Space Positive upgrade using the UA ticket? When were you able to upgrade?

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:15 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
I was told this was because my US flight held United codeshare flight numbers. But could this also be because I have my US flights set up with my Mileage Plus account to be credited for the flights? And somehow they can't pull the E-Certs unless my Dividend account number is in there instead? ...
</font>
Bingo! You have to use your DM number for your flights if you want to upgrade with E-Upgrades (either earned or acquired via mileage redemption) and then upgrade only on the day of travel.

The reverse is true when flying United. If I want to use United's E-upgrades or redeem Mileage Plus miles for an upgrade, I need to credit my flights to my M+ account. If I use my Div Miles number, I have to purchase the certs.

Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arrzee:
Bingo! You have to use your DM number for your flights if you want to upgrade with E-Upgrades (either earned or acquired via mileage redemption) and then upgrade only on the day of travel.

The reverse is true when flying United. If I want to use United's E-upgrades or redeem Mileage Plus miles for an upgrade, I need to credit my flights to my M+ account. If I use my Div Miles number, I have to purchase the certs.

</font>
Not true. As mentioned, my itinerary was all UA except one flight. I upgraded at the gate using my US account and recvd UA credit (and US credit). The double credit was luck but I reckon that it should have gone to UA only.

What you say is true if you are on a US ticket and want to upgrade but credit to UA.

[This message has been edited by gnaget (edited 10-12-2003).]
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Correct on the no status on US. On the second question, I was considering using the "Buy 500 Milers With Dividend Miles" option, as I do have lots of Dividend miles (from current and past activity, but not enough to be elite). I didn't see any restriction about that option being for Elites only. Is that the case? Or is it perhaps that I can't even have any E-500 milers in my account unless I'm elite at US?

Thanks!
</font>
Yes, you can acquire them but regular members can only upgrade full fare (Y, B and U). Same as on UA, I think.
http://www.usair.com/dividendmiles/p.../eupgrades.htm

So that explains your problem. You are stuck following the rules of US as a regular member if you use that account.

I would advise XFFs like yourself (I get that impression from the UA forum )to credit 25k each year to US if you fly them occasionly. The pair of SWUs that you get as a Silver is a nice perk.

The complications that these **** airlines create is starting to get on my nerves.

Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tell me about it! Even the agents I've been talking to at both US Reservations and the Dividend Miles Desk have said they don't get it all. One actually said she thought you'd have to be a lawyer to figure it all out.

But to the no US elite status and eligible fares issue, take a look at this:

http://www.usair.com/dividendmiles/p...s_mp_on_us.htm

It says right there that UA Premiers can use 500 milers on any fare. But this does appear on the page that mentions "PT500" mile upgrades.

So...are there 2 types of US 500 milers out there? One type for US flyers, and another type of "special" 500 milers (these PTs) that are just for UA flyers trying to upgrade on US?

If I try to use 500 milers from my US E-Bank, they'd say no because of my fare (even though I'm 1K at United)? But they would accept these paper PT500 milers on any fare?

Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:05 pm

Yes, that seems to be how I read the situation. It's all pretty silly and annoying.

Maybe you should move over 25k to US retroactively and gain silver status.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: United 1K
Upgrading UA Codeshares with Space Positives

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Here's another scenerio... I am SP. Bought a UA ticket, flying US metal and using US DM #. Has anyone used a Space Positive upgrade using the UA ticket? When were you able to upgrade?
Bump. I'm in a similar predicament to the one described above. I'm a United 1K flying on a US-operated UA codeshare flight from CLT-SFO in a couple weeks. Could I upgrade this flight if I were to acquire a North America Space Positive upgrade from one of my US friends? I'd think that I could upgrade the flight, since it's on US metal, but it's a United ticket (016), so I don't know for sure.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by NDNate
Bump. I'm in a similar predicament to the one described above. I'm a United 1K flying on a US-operated UA codeshare flight from CLT-SFO in a couple weeks. Could I upgrade this flight if I were to acquire a North America Space Positive upgrade from one of my US friends? I'd think that I could upgrade the flight, since it's on US metal, but it's a United ticket (016), so I don't know for sure.
Bump for the answer. I am also eagerly looking for an answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.