Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 18, 03, 4:42 am   #1

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
Booking class Q?

I'm doing a one-way flight CLT-LGA and my travel agent booked me in Q; what's the priority like this within Y bookings?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 8:20 am   #2

Assuming you're interested in upgrading,and that you're Silver Preferred (by your nickname), then you're at the very bottom of the queue, regardless of when you check in.

Also, unless you have systemwide certs and/or transatlantic upgrade certs, plan to spend 30,000 miles each way to upgrade.

Q fares are the lowest discounted fares that can be upgraded. As a SP, you are at the bottom of the upgrade queue anyway, and if other SP are booked on higher-fare tix, they'll be ahead of you even if they check in at the last minute.

Of course, this may not have been what you were asking at all. If so, I apologize.

Good luck on your trip.

Brett
bmolotsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 8:26 am   #3

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bmolotsk:
Assuming you're interested in upgrading,and that you're Silver Preferred (by your nickname), then you're at the very bottom of the queue, regardless of when you check in.

Also, unless you have systemwide certs and/or transatlantic upgrade certs, plan to spend 30,000 miles each way to upgrade.

Q fares are the lowest discounted fares that can be upgraded. As a SP, you are at the bottom of the upgrade queue anyway, and if other SP are booked on higher-fare tix, they'll be ahead of you even if they check in at the last minute.

Of course, this may not have been what you were asking at all. If so, I apologize.

Good luck on your trip.

Brett
</font>

Q is not the lowest, V and L are even lower. If your upgrade doesn't clear within your window, make sure you check in early b/c its based upon check-in time within your status.
j_mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 9:17 am   #4

Thanks for the reply. I actually have no status with US and my handle name simply comes from the color of my car back then. In any case, it's an hour and a half flight and I obviously don't have e-UGs with US, so I just asked out of curiousity and not because I was planning to UG (e.g. BA uses M even when full Y ticketed, and I thought this could be a similar case).

Anyways, do you have a list of booking codes by priority? Just for the sake of completeness, since I raised the topic, I'm curious to know.

Regards,
Old Sep 18, 03, 9:48 am   #5

Programs: AC, WN, AA
It's hard to say exactly, because they can be so convoluted at times. Usually, it goes something like this: Y, B, M, H, K, L, Q, V. Sometimes, with the BN7 and YN7 fares that have shown up, this has little bearing on the actual price of the ticket. V's tend to be the most restricted though, and they aren't upgradeable transatlantic.
Old Sep 18, 03, 9:50 am   #6

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bmolotsk:

Good luck on your trip.

Brett
</font>
Did I miss something? Surely it isnt't 30000 miles to upgrade from CLT to LGA?
Can't all fares be upgraded within the US?

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Sep 18, 03, 10:41 am   #7

My fault, I thought this was an international itinerary (I read "LGW" instead of "LGA"). Duh.

Yes, all fares are upgradeable within North America.

For transatlantic flights on US, you have to be booked in Q or higher to upgrade, and transatlantic upgrades are 30,000 miles each way for that fare class.

Just clarification. Have a great trip.

[This message has been edited by bmolotsk (edited 09-18-2003).]
bmolotsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 10:59 am   #8

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Sep 18, 03, 11:48 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, US GP, WN A-List, HH Dia, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SonOfACockroach:
It's hard to say exactly, because they can be so convoluted at times. Usually, it goes something like this: Y, B, M, H, K, L, Q, V. </font>
Actually, I believe the order is Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, V. I'm pretty sure Q is higher than K and V ... L's tough since it's very rare, but I believe it slots in between K and V.
Beckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 2:30 pm   #10

Programs: UA 1K
No, Q is definitely below K. Look at the pricing and the fact that it is the lowest intl UG class.

But I don't agree with above description of the priority for upgrades. If you are on a waitlist then it goes by status and check-in time. I don't think that the exact fare bucket comes into play. If you buy a Y or B fare then you will most probably clear ahead of time anyway -- that includes transatl.

And isn't L the lowest of all fares? The cheapest Shuttle fares are in L.

[This message has been edited by gnaget (edited 09-18-2003).]
gnaget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:28 pm   #11

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
Actually, I believe the order is Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, V. I'm pretty sure Q is higher than K and V ... L's tough since it's very rare, but I believe it slots in between K and V.</font>
To clear up any confusion, here is the hierarchy for domestic fares:
Y, B, M, H, K, Q, V, L

[This message has been edited by uschpr (edited 09-18-2003).]
uschpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 03, 7:01 pm   #12

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by uschpr:
To clear up any confusion, here is the hierarchy for domestic fares:
Y, B, M, H, K, Q, V, L
</font>
Just so it's clear:

Q and higher are upgradable internationally.
L and higher are upgradable domestically (any published fare).
StSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 03, 4:48 am   #13

thanks all.
Old Sep 23, 03, 4:52 pm   #14

Head spinning from this alphabet soup.

Just an FYI: a Q fare on UA is fully changable! I'm flying standby on a later flight tomorrow (unless meeting ends way early) and then returning on Sat instead of the ticketed Sunday.

Total fees = $0. How bout them apples.

[This message has been edited by Fletch! (edited 09-23-2003).]
Fletch! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 03, 6:10 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR LT PLT, SPG PLT100/LT PLT, HH GLD, US LT SLV, AA GLD, UA SLV, A3 BLU, EK SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis 1st
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fletch!:
Head spinning from this alphabet soup.

Just an FYI: a Q fare on UA is fully changable!

[This message has been edited by Fletch! (edited 09-23-2003).]
</font>
Other than F and Y, there is no correlation of letter codes between different airlines. At least as far as I have seen. (maybe J or one or two other exceptions).
CPRich is online now   Reply With Quote