Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 30, 02, 7:53 pm   #1

Connection changed to a one-stop direct

I have a flight coming up in August from Tampa to Providence. Originally this was a connection at DCA. US Airways has changed the two flights into one direct flight (flight times are still the same, it's just now a one-stop at DCA rather than a connection to DCA). As you know, the implication of this is that I get only one segment for the trip rather than two.

This throws off all my calculations for requalifying for Preferred status. I know that it is only one segment, but every segment will count for requalifying for Gold Preferred status. Plus it would be my 12th segment for the Amex bonus, and that 10,000 Preferred miles can make a huge difference (especially because I don't want to feel commited to US Airways for another trip to get that bonus).

Do I have any recourse? I'm scared to make a big deal with the DMSC because I don't really want them looking at my account!

If it makes a difference, there are two Gold Preferreds on my record (one of which is me) and one US4 (regular member).
BizJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 02, 8:31 pm   #2

Do you have a code for the American Express bonus? I thought that I kept up on these pretty well, but am not aware of this one.
usflyer999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 02, 8:45 pm   #3

Programs: United 1K (ex CO), Avis Fancypants, Hyatt Platinum, SPG & Kimpton fan
Can't you just stand-by for some earlier or later connecting flights?

David
IndyDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 02, 11:00 pm   #4
Original Member

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, United Lifetime Premier 1K, US Million Miler
Try upgrading one segment. Tell them you're meeting a colleague on the other leg, and he/she is in coach. You will get 2 boarding passes for the same flight,one for each segment and it should post like a connection.
deelmakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 02, 11:27 pm   #5

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
Try upgrading one segment. Tell them you're meeting a colleague on the other leg, and he/she is in coach. You will get 2 boarding passes for the same flight,one for each segment and it should post like a connection.</font>
Wow! Great tip. Let me know if this works, because the BWI-SEA "direct" flight is a little more convienent than any of the connections, and I can deal with coach on the BWI-PIT segment if need be.
Old Jul 31, 02, 8:33 pm   #6

I'm not sure if this will work, but if you're not upgrading at all (or even if you are for the whole trip) you could consider just asking at the gate or check-in that you'd like to switch seats at DCA. I'm sure if you ask the gate folks and directly explain the truth about why you need the extra segment to requalify, they'll understand and oblige...or tell you if there's a better way.
Old Jul 31, 02, 10:00 pm   #7
Original Member

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, United Lifetime Premier 1K, US Million Miler
About a year ago I was flying LGA-SEA on a through flight which made a stop in PIT. It took a mechanical at LGA, and all they had for backup was an A-319 Shuttle plane, which is single class. As a result, those of us in First had to get separate boarding cards for each leg. The flights posted with the same number, but different city pairs. The LGA-PIT segment credited at the 500 mile minimum, and I got actual miles flown on the PIT to SEA (which was on an A-320, configured normally)portion.
deelmakur is offline   Reply With Quote