The glass is half full...GS 2012

Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Tiki
We are pretty well prepared for GS12 if it happens-got all the hotel points topped up as well as E-Miles and E-Rewards. The one thing that does worry me is how much longer US will stay in *A. I think the current contract expires in 2014, so what happens after that? Can the other airlines kick US out? And if US left *A, what other partners would they have, you can't redeem on QR. I'd want to know more before I spend money on stuff I don't want like flowers and email addresses.
They have to have a US carrier and frankly recent events would suggest UA getting the boot first.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold (*A Gold), CC Gold
Originally Posted by burmans
They have to have a US carrier and frankly recent events would suggest UA getting the boot first.
What do you mean by that? Not trying to be sarcastic. Are you talking about all the post-merger problems they're having or something else?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
Just have a look at oneworld.. there are a lot of carriers that are as good as the *A..
And just my 2cents: I wouldn't keep my miles as long as 2014.. earn and burn is my motto..
We currently have enough US miles in my husband's account for 2 x BNE-SJO trips in 2013 and my account for 2 x BNE-Europe in 2014 all in J class. So further GS adventures would start getting into planning for 2016 which is when we have the next planned *A award. OW would be great for us getting to Europe, CX and MH are excellent if it happens but recent posts in the US and AA forums now seem to indicate the merge probably won't happen. Worst case scenario is US minus any good partners.

Won't happen, UA is a founding member.

Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
What do you mean by that? Not trying to be sarcastic. Are you talking about all the post-merger problems they're having or something else?
I believe he means this.....................warning, make your popcorn FIRST! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...redeposit.html
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
We currently have enough US miles in my husband's account for 2 x BNE-SJO trips in 2013 and my account for 2 x BNE-Europe in 2014 all in J class. So further GS adventures would start getting into planning for 2016 which is when we have the next planned *A award. OW would be great for us getting to Europe, CX and MH are excellent if it happens but recent posts in the US and AA forums now seem to indicate the merge probably won't happen. Worst case scenario is US minus any good partners.

[/url]
Assuming Brisbane is your hometown.. why not just spend all the cheap generated miles on a fun trip? Just think about a long weekend in Bangkok e.g. where you can easily get to from SYD with Thai First Class ?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
Post merger problems, but also recent events of selling SQ tickets and the 4 miles fiasco. And finally just their generally bad record (flight cancellation, poor experiences, general "don't give a ...." reputation, etc), there are many *A flyers I know who will do whatever they can to avoid UA including taking non *A flights. Lack of point/SC/recognition is not something they take lightly, which indicates level of dissatisfaction.

The rest of the *A alliance won't be unaware of this.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by KathinJax
Last year, there was a tweet confirming it in mid-August. I would hold off until then.

I tweeted last week that I was looking forward to the 2012 Grand Slam, that it was my favorite promotion of the year. The twitter team responded with "We're looking forward to it too!".

Anybody else tweeted or e-mailed?
I tweeted last night:

"Really looking forward to the @USAirways Grand Slam 2012 and earning enough miles for Europe in Envoy Suites."

We'll see if the twitter team responds...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 am

I hope there will be a U.S. Grandslam this year. I need something to look forward to after the Club Carlson Big Giveaway
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I tweeted last night:

"Really looking forward to the @USAirways Grand Slam 2012 and earning enough miles for Europe in Envoy Suites."

We'll see if the twitter team responds...
I tweeted my excitement about the Grand Slam and got this reply:

"Stay tuned! We are always trying to come up with new and exciting programs that get our passengers involved."

I replied that the "old" GS was plenty exciting for me!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
The glass is half full...GS 2012

I tweeted them a couple weeks ago and didn't get any response. With my upcoming flights I'll be about 600mi short of maintaining silver. Trying to decide on if I should do a MR or wait for GS...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Post merger problems, but also recent events of selling SQ tickets and the 4 miles fiasco. And finally just their generally bad record (flight cancellation, poor experiences, general "don't give a ...." reputation, etc), there are many *A flyers I know who will do whatever they can to avoid UA including taking non *A flights. Lack of point/SC/recognition is not something they take lightly, which indicates level of dissatisfaction.

The rest of the *A alliance won't be unaware of this.
What does SQ's mistake (also ticketed by US and AC) have to do with UA?

UA is a founding member of *A and all you listed above is irrelevant to their membership. Take these thoughts and dump them because they aren't worth bubkus*.

I'm hoping GS goes on this year. Hotel accounts topped up, emiles, erewards etc. Barring any major changes to the T&Cs we'd be in position to reap untold millions of miles (or a hundred K plus each at the very least).

*The thoughts that is. I could see how one would get the picture UA isn't worth bubkus either.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
So seems like more and more things are adding up that there will not be GS12 as I mentioned earlier.

I would not be surprised though if there is another sort of promo though. will keep you guys updated if I hear anything else from my sources.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What does SQ's mistake (also ticketed by US and AC) have to do with UA?
Hard for me to prove this one but
a) for reasons I don't really understand this was not available on all *A carriers and was from general blogoshere comments "more" available/accessible on UA. Yes it was generically a SQ mistake but UA seemed to make it worse so I for one wouldn't be totally absolving UA. Far fewer people got ticketed on US/AC as far as I can tell.
b) UA seemed to be much slower than others to close this down.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
UA is a founding member of *A and all you listed above is irrelevant to their membership. Take these thoughts and dump them because they aren't worth bubkus*.

I'm hoping GS goes on this year. Hotel accounts topped up, emiles, erewards etc. Barring any major changes to the T&Cs we'd be in position to reap untold millions of miles (or a hundred K plus each at the very least).

*The thoughts that is. I could see how one would get the picture UA isn't worth bubkus either.
OK, I'll change my statement to say *A needs a US carrier people actually want to travel on. You may well be right that UA can't be dumped (though I have seen many surprising things I never thought would happen in my life to never be quite so definitive myself but I don't think anyone will be throwing US out while UA is the only alternative if they listen to their own members.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by maksimfa
So seems like more and more things are adding up that there will not be GS12 as I mentioned earlier.
I'll be very sad if that is the case given the amount of time I have wasted doing e-rewards surveys so I can get enough hotel points to transfer......
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
After ~8 months of growing anticipation, this thread has singlehandedly ruined my miles/points year.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Twitter message

I wrote:

@USAirways Hoping there is a Grand Slam 2012! If not I will break down and cry. I love that promo and I love USAirways!

They said:

@______ please stay tuned for new and exciting promotions within the Dividend Miles program. Thanks. ^KM

That doesn't sound good for GS 2012 because I am to stay tuned for something "NEW".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.