Wiki Posts
Search

Overwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
Overwhelmed

I failed to participate in the 2011 Grand Slam. I followed this thread closely before the program officially started, but I then found myself simply overwhelmed by the number of earning opportunities and the time required. Congratulations to those of you who participated and earned miles and EQMs through Grand Slam. I hope to join you in 2012.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by grinch26
I failed to participate in the 2011 Grand Slam. I followed this thread closely before the program officially started, but I then found myself simply overwhelmed by the number of earning opportunities and the time required. Congratulations to those of you who participated and earned miles and EQMs through Grand Slam. I hope to join you in 2012.
I played for the first time and it was a bit intimidating.

The plan I devised helped break it down into manageable chunks.

Pre GS prep

Make sure I have hotel programs topped off
Look at programed travel and determine if I need to chrun rooms and rental cars.
Make sure my surveys are all up to date.

Once it starts:
1st: I bought miles to prime the pump (my account was at zero miles)
2nd: go after the "free" miles. Get a magazine, transfer from hotel programs, etc
3rd: Assess what I needed anyway from online stores, then buy it. I bought ink cartridges.
4th. Make sure to find a restaurant that takes part in the dining program. I did this on the road and expensed the cost.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I felt the exact same way as you in 2010. I kept on meaning to participate, but it just seemed like there was *so* much information, plus it was all in one giant thread that was fast moving and incredibly hard to follow. When the first rumors of the 2011 promo dates started coming in, I started doing some prep work based off of the previous year - where did I have hotel points that I might be able to transfer, what were some of the cheap/free hits from 2010, and things of that nature. This way, when the rules were announced for 2011, all I had to do was make adjustments, as opposed to start from scratch. As a result, I got quite a few miles in 2011 for minimal incremental cost, and I'm looking forward to 2012.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

I felt the same way in 2010. I had a few hits that year. In 2011, I prepped and was ready. I had the 40 hits. I now can't wait and prep all year for the grand slam. To me, it is the most fun scavenger hunt in the points game. The key is preparation and planning. the more you make a list up front the easier it becomes. Stock up now on your hotel points in anticipation of transfers. get your us airways card. Just put one thing on your list per week and do it.

and watch the miles add up. Very Satisfying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.