Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lessons learned (or, Making plans for 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I decided early on to completely discount my time. GS fits nicely in the "hobby" category, thank you very much.

(Also, my wife told me I was crazy doing this unless I could say that with a straight face.)
Amen to that.

Mike
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Wink

Originally Posted by Bud Florida
If I spent 30 hours and I value my time at $20 an hour, that would be $600 worth of time spent on GS.
As long as your employer pays
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:51 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
How about for next year, the mods require everyone to register on GSScorecard.com and review the posting dates before any "where are my hitz?!" posts...?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: aa
This is what I mentioned before. Put the data available there into a more usable form and keep it as the first post.

For example: E-miles will post with activity date as date of deposit request. They do a monthly sweep and miles will post sometime in the first week.

Supershuttle will post with activity date as date of travel. They do a weekly sweep and miles usually post around 4pm on Friday. Thursday rides will post on next Friday.

And so on.

If people don't bother to read the first post before asking, their post should just be removed.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sun_aa
This is what I mentioned before. Put the data available there into a more usable form and keep it as the first post.

[...]

Supershuttle will post with activity date as date of travel. They do a weekly sweep and miles usually post around 4pm on Friday. Thursday rides will post on next Friday.

And so on.

If people don't bother to read the first post before asking, their post should just be removed.
Well, that info was in fact collected this year in a single location. As for removing posts, I doubt that the mods are going to be that draconian.

Let's get the discussion back on topic: what should the average Slammer do next year, especially in advance, to exploit advantages/avoid pitfalls observed this year?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
One example - I made a point of registering for the recent Club Carlson promo for 50,000 points for a stay at a Radisson before the end of Dec. So that I will have points available to transfer during next year's GS. They were one partner where there was no option to purchase points and I missed an opportunity for a hit. i'm sure I'll be keeping similar opportunities in mind all through 2012.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lwildernorva

My concern about the publicity stems from the very limited nature of this promo. This is a promo that specifically seems designed with the FF public in mind.
And that's a problem? Far better to keep it limited and not kill the golden goose IMO
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
I only spent maybe 3 incremental hours above and beyond what my normal activity.

- 1 hour devoted to eMiles.
- 1 hour devoted to extra clicking to buy 4 or 5 things I wouldn't have otherwise.
- 1 hour in the godforsaken Supershuttle From Hell from Newark to Manhattan. Yes, I'm convinced it was one full hour longer door-to-door than a taxi would have been. We didn't depart Newark until about 40 minutes later than I would have in a cab.

Lessons for next year:
- Just do the damn $10 Supershuttle no-show like every other Flyertalker here. @:-)
- Hit eMiles, one minute at a time, over the course of the next year. Have 500 miles primed at the GS '12 start.
- Forget about eRewards - just do a SPG trade like I did this year.

I was able to get a lot of hits through my normal car rentals and hotels. I didn't have to sink time into car swaps or extra hotel hops since I was going to max the hits anyway.
supershuttle was 4$
emiles are pretty bad,but erewards are really a hell on earth
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bryanwallace

but erewards are really a hell on earth
well if done Correctly it can be worth Several hits = besides $25 to DM , there are several Hotel programs thats how I got my Choice transfer, the only problem is you need more then 1 transfer to get the 5k in CP pts so you need to make 2 transfers

Start now and a person may be able to save a number of hotel pts that they earned all yr or simply do as I did and transfer the erewards to Choice and LaQuinta where I dont stay at all thats 3 hits for $0, just dont transfer them till the T&Cs come out least that programm not end up participating next year or more pts will be needed or no GD '12

Key is to do 1 transfer before 9/30 from Erewards and then you can do another after 10/1 and then when they are in the Hotel acct do the transfer over to DM

Last edited by craz; Nov 21, 2011 at 7:37 am
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i agree
but they are hellish

do you really think there will be no gs 2012?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
All those before would be good advise but looking for ways to beef up hotels balance will the thing most on my mind next 10months.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by craz
well if done Correctly it can be worth Several hits = besides $25 to DM , there are several Hotel programs thats how I got my Choice transfer, the only problem is you need more then 1 transfer to get the 5k in CP pts so you need to make 2 transfers

Start now and a person may be able to save a number of hotel pts that they earned all yr or simply do as I did and transfer the erewards to Choice and LaQuinta where I dont stay at all thats 3 hits for $0, just dont transfer them till the T&Cs come out least that programm not end up participating next year or more pts will be needed or no GD '12

Key is to do 1 transfer before 9/30 from Erewards and then you can do another after 10/1 and then when they are in the Hotel acct do the transfer over to DM
I was going to write almost exactly the same thing, but I highlighted that last, um, "sentence" because it's something that would be really easy to miss. It would suck to do e-rewards all year and realize too late that, for some programs, you are limited on redemptions to once per quarter.

Note: the surveys are annoying, so do them while you are watching tv or something. Give accurate information, though, because if you miss a challenge question or give lots of inconsistent info, you may get booted.

My e-rewards offers five different hotel partners, so if I am going to max out on hotel transfers by using e-rewards as the source, I'll need over $500 in e-rewards. Obviously, that will take all year in preparation for GS12, since I'm only at $30 now. Still, at an average of $5 in e-rewards per survey, I'd only need to do about two per week. Since they come in clusters, it's important to do them ASAP.

Mike
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Be careful with the e-rewards expiry date - you'd be very unhappy if you stockpiled your e-rewards all year only for most of them to expire before you transferred them.....
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by burmans
And that's a problem? Far better to keep it limited and not kill the golden goose IMO
The problem being that given the limited nature of the promo, widespread publicity will indeed be the killer of the golden goose, which I think is what I was trying to get across in the third paragraph of my post.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Biblioman1
One example - I made a point of registering for the recent Club Carlson promo for 50,000 points for a stay at a Radisson before the end of Dec. So that I will have points available to transfer during next year's GS. They were one partner where there was no option to purchase points and I missed an opportunity for a hit. i'm sure I'll be keeping similar opportunities in mind all through 2012.
There was a way around this problem this year because Avis was running a promo for 9000 CC points for a three-day rental that fit my travel plans and didn't affect the number of rental hits I needed for GS. Since there's no guarantee Avis will offer a similar promo next year, I also registered for the Radission promo and will get 50K in my account. Since I don't generally stay or redeem awards at Radisson, I'll hold onto the points in my CC account just in case US increases the threshold for a transfer to get a hit or CC increases the number of points required to get 1000 US miles.

And that brings up another planning point: US may do some further tweaking for 2012 so don't assume transfer requirements (or even partners) will remain the same. I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for additions or subtractions to US's group of partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.