Lessons learned (or, Making plans for 2012)

Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by beltway
I've updated post #1 to narrow the "start early" injunction to retail partners. I agree that hotel transfer rules are very stable & unlikely to change mid-GS, so there's not much reason to do them early.
Thanks Beltway!

I am still waiting on that NETWORK SOLN points to post! I had done the cheaper version like you did and then called to get them to switch it to a different domain ending and to go for the 3 years, but now they are saying that the frequent flyer number was not on the order. They told me to email them the order number, the frequent flyer account number and name, but their email gets returned as undeliverable. Did you have this same problem?
see their email:

I apologize for any issues you may have in getting your mileage points. However, upon research, I have determined that you did not enter your Frequent Flyer account information during the transaction, thus the reward was not processed. To have these miles added to your account, please send an email to [email protected] with your order number, FF Program Name, and your Frequent Flyer Account Number. You will be contacted by e-mail within 5 business days after we receive this information.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:12 pm

I left a lot of hits on the table

As a newbie this is my first ever grandslam, and I've learned quite a lot not only about this promotion but the whole entire frequent flyer system:

- Have as many hotel rewards point memberships as possible. In this promotion you could have made 9 contributing hits (one per program), so that's 9 hits!

- Make Erewards a 365 day a year activity, why? Because not only do they count for 1 hit, but also you can earn points for the various hotel programs and then transfer points from hotel accounts into U.S. airways.

- Yes, erewards is time consuming, but if you do it for the hotel points, focus on programs that don't allow you to buy, and then earn hotel enough points to where you are comfortable paying for them. So maybe the first 4k are free, but you spend 11 dollars for the last 1000. ERewards, seems like its the key to this whole thing.

- Another key, car rentals. If you're like beltway, then you know DCA is metro accessible, and once you got down the routine, you can get a hit during lunch break. Also, plan ahead for car rentals, buy the cheapest rentals, during the promotion time. I got in on 2, but could have gotten 4 more at roughly 25 dollars a hit.

- Sometimes its a matter of luck, companies might take certain items off, while bloggers might expose some loopholes.

- Chase Sapphire, I wish I had this card so I can transfer all of my Ultimate Rewards from my Freedom card into hotel rewards programs.

- I was able to pull off 35k miles for $158. But had I used Erewards all year long or rented out more cards, this could have easily been 8 more hits, and overall 60k hits.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:17 pm

Thanks!

I just want to thank everyone who posted & helped me out with my 1st Grand Slam! I was able to get both my husband & myself enough miles for a first class ticket on our next trip.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:17 pm

I have 20 working on 24

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Jeez, you want us to start ANOTHER thread around here? What's up with that? There are already 27 hundred different threads going on, and there still isn't one for every hit. I mean, why don't Alamo and Hertz each have there own thread? Why combine the car rental hits? And there should be a LaQuinta thread, a Hilton thread (what's up with cutting Hampton Inn out of the promo?) and maybe even a separate no-show hotel thread. And on top of that, I think everyone should have their own "I have 17 hits with six more to post" threads. And another thing, why not have a dedicated "When is the next sweep" thread that folks can post in without reading the previous posts that contain the answer. I mean really, all these freaking different threads, why don't we simplify simplify simplify and just have one thread for the entire GS? Wouldn't that be simpler? Yeah, that's the ticket, one long thread with 411,672 posts. Then we can spend all our time telling people to use the search function. I think that's a GREAT idea, one super long thread. We should do it that way next year.

I am not into IT, can some of you who are tell me if it is possible to set up a program (see, i don't know the terminology), so that when an FTer has certain word combinations in his/her posts that they are taken directly to the SEARCH FUNCTION?

just asking.

ralph
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:40 pm

While what newbie says about hotel transfers is true (9 potential hits is pretty amazing) keep in mind most of the transfers are hugely destructive in terms of total value of the points/miles. E.g. even for the most rewarding hits (5000 miles a piece) you are losing total points for the hotel transfers. If you have any use at all for the hotel points this is not such a great route. I mean 10,000 Hhonors points going to 850 US miles is pretty crappy, even if you're getting 5000 US miles in the process.

The exception of course is if you have orphaned points. Also you're right that e-rewards might be okay for this, but it pains me to think of the time it would take to get to $150 on e-rewards for 10,000 Hhonors points just to get 5,850 US miles out of the deal.

If the transfer ratios were better hotel transfers would be a great option, but as it stands they're pretty bad in my opinion.

I think one of the great tricks is getting cheap rentals. I got 4 rentals this time, all for under $20 each. Those are pretty cheap hits, if a little time consuming, but if you can work them into your schedule regularly then they're pretty easy.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drbobguy
While what newbie says about hotel transfers is true (9 potential hits is pretty amazing) keep in mind most of the transfers are hugely destructive in terms of total value of the points/miles. E.g. even for the most rewarding hits (5000 miles a piece) you are losing total points for the hotel transfers. If you have any use at all for the hotel points this is not such a great route. I mean 10,000 Hhonors points going to 850 US miles is pretty crappy, even if you're getting 5000 US miles in the process.

The exception of course is if you have orphaned points. Also you're right that e-rewards might be okay for this, but it pains me to think of the time it would take to get to $150 on e-rewards for 10,000 Hhonors points just to get 5,850 US miles out of the deal.

If the transfer ratios were better hotel transfers would be a great option, but as it stands they're pretty bad in my opinion.

I think one of the great tricks is getting cheap rentals. I got 4 rentals this time, all for under $20 each. Those are pretty cheap hits, if a little time consuming, but if you can work them into your schedule regularly then they're pretty easy.
True about hotel transfer, but for me, it's tougher to use hotel points than airline miles (I can use partners of US, not partners of Hyatt). 10000 HHonors points doesn't do as much for me as 5850 US miles. My last hit is a Hyatt transfer, which I get from 5000 Chase UR points. Yeah, it's a lot of points, but I don't have any other options, but these 5000 UR points net me 7000 US miles (2000 transfer + 5000 for a hit in the 30s).
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I learned a couple of lessons during my first GS:

1) Priority Club posts their activity date as the check out day while HH and BW use check in date. I could have stayed at an IHC property the week GS2011 started an got an early hit.

My sixth hotel hit was going to be this Monday, November 14th at a HIX in Portland, but that wouldn't have counted. Luckily I did a one nighter at a BW and got the 6 hotel hits.

2) Read, and re-read the rules. I hit one foul ball by converting PC points to DM on points.com rather than going through PC. Expensive "miss" on my part as most of my PC reward nights are only 15,000 points.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Start Early

Other things I learned:

1. Start early. I was working 4 accounts (and working full time!), so I would work 2 accounts hard, but the other 2 easy, then as we are getting close to the end of the game, I am realizing that maybe some of my hits may end up being foul balls based on when some of these companies post the points...
a. such as 1800 flowers, free shipping wasn't available until after 11/14/11 on most products, so I hope they post on order date, but I don't think they will.
b. such as sharebuilder, I didn't fund 2 accounts until 11/12/11 and now the next TUESDAY to do the trade will be 11/15/11! so, most likely will not be a hit.
c. such as emiles, even if I purchase something tonight (11/12/11) to make the transfer of 500 points, most likely they will not post before 11/14/11 deadline.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:30 pm
Suspended

I mentioned this to a friend today, the best thing is next Aug keep an eye out if GS will be repeated and then start to follow the threads from get go. If you do then you wont be swamped with a bunch of threads that are pgs & pgs long. Write up a potential list of the Hits with the free and cheap ones on top, and note which ones although expensive you might need to do anyway eg a Hotel stay so its not wasted $$ and might even save you from having to purchase something even for $15 that you wouldnt need to do

thats how I did this yrs after jumping in late last yr, and did 36 each yr, with very little out of pocket this yr compared to last yr. cant stress the planing part enough!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Remember to REGISTER first!

Wife and I each got a pretty painless 16 hits plus a safety hit. Started to do some for little JeffISU though forgot to REGISTER her first! I registered myself/wife though spaced out the little one. Had all the miles post - 8 hits (should have been 10k bonus miles) with the only out of pocket cost of a $4 supershuttle ride along with the opportunity cost of e-rewards. Then got to thinking.. @!#$.. forgot to register her. Maybe I'll try and email and beg for mercy.. though a lesson learned for next year.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Appreciate the Grand Slam Thread.

Worked 11 accounts but quicky ran into vendors getting funky as to what would be a hit. What worked for a few accounts would suddenly stop working for the rest. Still, the game was profitable enough to consider for next year.^ And at least over here the vendors got more than game minimum spending revenue, so the promotion should have been profitable to them.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Worked 11 accounts
OMG.

Amazing!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
first of all major thanks to beltway--it was my first GS and he made it so much easier..

i would echo the points made about getting set up before gs started,i didnt even have a us account let alone know what emiles were so it was a lot of work....
i think the wyndham find(2 stay hits and a transfer for 100$) were pretty good.
i would agree it may pay to try to build up points throughout the yr..

btw,what makes everyone so sure there will be a GS next yr?
Do you think the vendors are making a lot of money on this?
what about US ?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
btw,what makes everyone so sure there will be a GS next yr?
Do you think the vendors are making a lot of money on this?
what about US ?
I think there'll be one next year because there's still room to tinker with the various elements to allow US and its partners to make this worthwhile.

I'm not so sure about a GS in 2013. The bloggers came late to the party this year. They won't be so slow in 2012. Each will probably have some sort of preview article about the promotion next year. And once the bloggers are all over it, I'm sure you'll start seeing articles in the general media about GS. Remember that a number of bloggers also have MSM contacts or occasionally get quoted in articles done by newspaper and magazine writers.

Although the increased numbers brought in through these channels may be good for US's partners in the short term, I think we've seen what happens when the spotlight of publicity hits matters that we normally take for granted (Sharebuilder, mint, certain award redemptions on various airlines).

If this is the way things unfold, I'm somewhat pessimistic that this promo will last beyond another year or two.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I think there'll be one next year because there's still room to tinker with the various elements to allow US and its partners to make this worthwhile.

I'm not so sure about a GS in 2013. The bloggers came late to the party this year. They won't be so slow in 2012. Each will probably have some sort of preview article about the promotion next year. And once the bloggers are all over it, I'm sure you'll start seeing articles in the general media about GS. Remember that a number of bloggers also have MSM contacts or occasionally get quoted in articles done by newspaper and magazine writers.

Although the increased numbers brought in through these channels may be good for US's partners in the short term, I think we've seen what happens when the spotlight of publicity hits matters that we normally take for granted (Sharebuilder, mint, certain award redemptions on various airlines).

If this is the way things unfold, I'm somewhat pessimistic that this promo will last beyond another year or two.
I'm guessing all the information is out there already and that the partners know exactly what is going on, not to mention US Airways. There's a trade-off to be made on their part, of course, which is a potential new customer versus the marketing cost of participating, since I don't know if US Airways is passing along part of the bill to them during the promo. Bloggers were likely more influential on the "accidental hits," i.e., I don't think AR trivia was meant to be a hit, but that's part of the price they pay.

I don't see an end to the program per se, since it's likely profitable for everyone involved in the end. But I do think that US continues to tighten up the rules.

Mike

ETA: For those of you who really want to thank Beltway, use him as a referral for the SPG Amex if you are at all thinking about getting it. I have it and it's my go-to card, particularly since 20K points equals 25K airline miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.