Wine Insiders

Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Diamondback
Well, beltway, I'm glad you love to attack other Flyertalker members who just come here for a little help. I read through that post many times. I even posted the specific post about wine insiders. I think you prove my point in that I had to read through a pretty long post when all I was interested in at the time was the wine insdier deal. I standby my original comment that this would be a lot easier for folks if each partner had a thread with detailed instructions, questions, special deals, etc.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Diamondback
Well, beltway, I'm glad you love to attack other Flyertalker members who just come here for a little help. I read through that post many times. I even posted the specific post about wine insiders. I think you prove my point in that I had to read through a pretty long post when all I was interested in at the time was the wine insdier deal. I standby my original comment that this would be a lot easier for folks if each partner had a thread with detailed instructions, questions, special deals, etc.
You were coddled not attacked.

Look, the information is there.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You were coddled not attacked.

Look, the information is there.
kinda dumb to have a thread with 15 different hits and have it being so unorganized, IMO. glad this one was started since it's specific to one item
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:28 pm

I would agree. Not to take away from the time and effort beltway has put in to summarize everything but there really should be a separate thread for each hit IMO.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by HikerT
I would agree. Not to take away from the time and effort beltway has put in to summarize everything but there really should be a separate thread for each hit IMO.
But the first post summary is fantastic.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by booyaa
But the first post summary is fantastic.
I agree. That beltway keeps updating the 1st post makes it a great reference point.

Do we really want 100+ threads cluttering up the clutter?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HikerT
there really should be a separate thread for each hit IMO.
In some alternate universe, that's a great idea. In the reality plane I inhabit, it's a total disaster because
  • There would be literally dozens of partner-specific threads sprawling across several pages of the forum home, interspersed with general threads (FAQ, How Many Hits?, etc.). The order would be entirely random, not alphabetical.
  • Lazy/clueless posters -- and they are legion -- wouldn't post in the right thread, but would instead post in the wrong thread or even start a second (or third, or fourth) thread on the same partner. Maybe the mods could keep up & maintain order, maybe not. Questions would get asked, and re-asked, and re-asked, producing wildly unnecessary duplication and general frustration.

Here's a useful way to assess the current partner-specific threads: How many of them have a post #1 that summarizes key info? Is that info updated regularly? And how many such threads are simply a string of Q&A, often repetitive, with no organizing structure/FAQ? Hell, let's go to post #12 in this very thread, which provoked the present discussion: How many of the partner-specific threads even tell readers in post #1 how to find the US website offer terms and hyperlink for that partner?

Now tell me all about what a paradise it would be to have 70+ partner-specific threads.

Last edited by beltway; Sep 26, 2011 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think I'm somewhere in the middle: I have been using beltway's Post #1 in the huge thread often and am very appreciative that he maintains it with links and such, but I've also been reading and using a lot of the partner-specific threads - especially ones where there is a lot of ongoing Q&A and discussion beyond "just go to the site and buy any product."
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I agree. That beltway keeps updating the 1st post makes it a great reference point.

Do we really want 100+ threads cluttering up the clutter?
why would there be 100+ threads when there are only 50-60 hits, with half of those being specific to hotels, car rentals, transfers, and credit cards?

and now half of this thread is crap because we're debating why we should/shouldn't have a specific thread related to this deal. is it hurting anyone's feelings that there is a specific thread to Wine Insiders? I would hope not.

back to discussing the specifics of this hit, now......
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrredskin
why would there be 100+ threads when there are only 50-60 hits, with half of those being specific to hotels, car rentals, transfers, and credit cards?
Why are there at least 20 different threads in the TG forum for 'Will I get F access' that are all identical?

Because people are lazy and it's easier to create a new thread than it is to search for something.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Michael El
I placed an order for the red sampler on Sept 16th and got an email confirmation of my order but my AMEX still hasn't been charged. I'm starting to worry. I guess I'll call them Monday.
I spoke to Wine Insiders' CS today and was told they take 2-3 weeks to process an order. I'm not worried about getting the order or points now. I would recommend anyone planning on this hit to do it soon and not towards the end of the promo to prevent posting issues.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Except that I've done this in the past with items shipped to my valid address. I was going to be away for the day of scheduled delivery (normally work form home) and didn't want the package left at the door of my home. I was able to redirect it on the website without calling as a matter of fact. Picked it up at UPS that evening.
my mistake. phone possible, but online is a big no.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:29 pm

these dolts STILL don't have TN listed, despite us being able to receive wine shipments for the past 3 years+
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Michael El
I spoke to Wine Insiders' CS today and was told they take 2-3 weeks to process an order. I'm not worried about getting the order or points now. I would recommend anyone planning on this hit to do it soon and not towards the end of the promo to prevent posting issues.
I placed an order with Wine Insiders on 9/16. My credit card was charged within a day and I received the order on 9/22.

LATER: I looked it up. The miles posted on 11/1/2010. This was the very slowest posting of any of my hits last year.

Last edited by kochleffel; Sep 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm Reason: Add date of posting
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I placed an order with Wine Insiders on 9/16. My credit card was charged within a day and I received the order on 9/22.
Lucky. I'm having a party this Saturday so I'll have to head to Costco to buy wine.

Please let us know when the points/hit posts to your DM account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.