Office Max [master thread]

Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:06 pm

Right. The issue is that at no point is either a tracking ID or your DM number passed to OfficeMax.com. It only sees the URL you clicked on, and has no idea of any other information that was on the site the URL was from. You could also just type it in. It can't be passing a cookie because cookies can't be shared between different sites.

The shopping mall sites pass a tracking ID, so the site reports back to the mall that session #1234367 earned 55 DMs. The mall website knows that was you because you logged in and credits the miles. OfficeMax uses this method with other airlines (like United), but they aren't in the US Airways mall.

I'm 100% sure the link is broken and you won't get miles. Either OfficeMax.com has a problem, or US Airways is using the wrong URL. I'm also 100% sure the blank pane in the center of the screen is supposed to say something like "Welcome US Airways members!" and ask you for your DM number.

The problem is penetrating customer service and getting the message to someone in their IT departments to look at it. Customer service is just going to either say it's fine, or you're doing something wrong. It's a classic problem that it's almost impossible to report website bugs to large corporations because you aren't allowed to talk to anyone that can help.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:54 pm

I'd almost suggest forwarding a link of this thread to OfficeMax higher-ups to show it's a public problem and we take it seriously, but then we'd be giving away GS team secrets (i.e. loophole strategies), and we don't really want to draw too much of their attention to our playbook.
Thanks to FTers who're reaching out on our behalf.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
Originally Posted by alanh
Right. The issue is that at no point is either a tracking ID or your DM number passed to OfficeMax.com. It only sees the URL you clicked on, and has no idea of any other information that was on the site the URL was from. You could also just type it in. It can't be passing a cookie because cookies can't be shared between different sites.

The shopping mall sites pass a tracking ID, so the site reports back to the mall that session #1234367 earned 55 DMs. The mall website knows that was you because you logged in and credits the miles. OfficeMax uses this method with other airlines (like United), but they aren't in the US Airways mall.

I'm 100% sure the link is broken and you won't get miles. Either OfficeMax.com has a problem, or US Airways is using the wrong URL. I'm also 100% sure the blank pane in the center of the screen is supposed to say something like "Welcome US Airways members!" and ask you for your DM number.

The problem is penetrating customer service and getting the message to someone in their IT departments to look at it. Customer service is just going to either say it's fine, or you're doing something wrong. It's a classic problem that it's almost impossible to report website bugs to large corporations because you aren't allowed to talk to anyone that can help.
Correct. From my research and all I have read, there was an area on the Office Max website, on the front page, where you would enter in your DM number. They have now taken that off. They also were in the Shopping Mall, but no longer are there. I have a feeling this is a case of the "right hand not knowing what the left hand" is doing. Emily at Office Max told me that they know there is a problem and that she has forwarded the information to the right department and will update me once there is a resolution. And believe me, I am going to be on her like a flea on a dog. Also forwarded her the screenshot of the blank page.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanh
I'm 100% sure the link is broken and you won't get miles. Either OfficeMax.com has a problem, or US Airways is using the wrong URL.
Given that
  • US was using the same URL a year ago, and it worked
  • a member in the primary (Other Partners) thread has noted that he did this successfully just last month
it's pretty much a lock that the problem is on the OfficeMax side.

The problem is penetrating customer service and getting the message to someone in their IT departments to look at it. [...] It's a classic problem that it's almost impossible to report website bugs to large corporations because you aren't allowed to talk to anyone that can help.
I called OM again today and asked to speak to their web support/IT department. The very nice CSR gave me a toll-free number which connected me to a recorded line with info about WalMart promotions.

*facepalm*
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Given that
  • US was using the same URL a year ago, and it worked
  • a member in the primary (Other Partners) thread has noted that he did this successfully just last month
it's pretty much a lock that the problem is on the OfficeMax side.

I called OM again today and asked to speak to their web support/IT department. The very nice CSR gave me a toll-free number which connected me to a recorded line with info about WalMart promotions.

*facepalm*
It's frustrating to know about these problems but not being able to do anything about it or to complain about it. I personally work in software QA and have worked for the large web site corporations such as freecreditreport.com and several others and I know how the testing is done. They do most of the testing on local machines inside the company and nearly all the integration errors like this one are missed. They don't go outside the internal network to test. Since it wasn't tested and no bug was found then no bug exists. Probably the only people who they will listen to are US Air, if they would complain about it.

Besides the website there is also a telephone number where orders can be placed. The number is 800-283-7674. Sorry if this was already mentioned but has someone called the order number and made an order? I imagine the error with the web page is not a problem for orders by phone. When I look at the source code of the web page there are some comments regarding fixes for errors, quite often a fix for one error will cause a new error and that's likely what happened.

Last edited by iang000; Sep 16, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I took my chance and ordered from officemax yesterday. I'll report back if anything happens. Like everyone else, I'm following the story with interest.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by iang000
Besides the website there is also a telephone number where orders can be placed. The number is 800-283-7674.
"Hi, I'd like to buy your cheapest item. How much would it cost? Oh, $5? Do you by any chance have a defective one you could sell to me? Like for 10% off? Yes? Oh, great! I'll take it! Please make sure to note my US Airways number is 12345678."
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:19 pm

Besides the website there is also a telephone number where orders can be placed. The number is 800-283-7674. Sorry if this was already mentioned but has someone called the order number and made an order? I imagine the error with the web page is not a problem for orders by phone. When I look at the source code of the web page there are some comments regarding fixes for errors, quite often a fix for one error will cause a new error and that's likely what happened.
I called the number but they said the only way to order and earn DM was through their website.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by keirnna
I called the number but they said the only way to order and earn DM was through their website.
Joseph Heller, please pick up the nearest red courtesy phone....

FYI, you can see exactly what the OMX landing page for US-referred visitors used to look like, as noted in the Other Partners thread.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Touch!

Originally Posted by beltway
Joseph Heller, please pick up the nearest red courtesy phone....

I had the exact same thought...

Btw, thanks for all of your work on the GS and good humor about the snafus.

Xlax
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:30 am

Last two years it always seemed that when there were issues no matter how responsive the partner seemed to be, nothing got done until US intervened. I think trackitback may be the exception.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Since others report that the telephone is not a viable option the only other choice is to call US Air and get the highest level non-monkey you can find in the company on the telephone and explain the issue to them. Then hope that they will actually go through the proper channels to escalate this issue to Officemax. Otherwise it's a hit that will never be a hit.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Since others report that the telephone is not a viable option the only other choice is to call US Air and get the highest level non-monkey you can find in the company on the telephone and explain the issue to them. Then hope that they will actually go through the proper channels to escalate this issue to Officemax. Otherwise it's a hit that will never be a hit.
good luck then. i am sure they won't understand anything
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I've sent OfficeMax several emails in a back and forth conversation.

I pointed out that there was never a request to enter my US Airways account number even though I did use the affiliate link. The person I was communicating with says they can't see account numbers either but to wait a few weeks (OfficeMax always took about two to three weeks in the past anyway) and then contact them again if nothing posts and they can manually transmit.
Throughout the year, I buy office supplies from officemax.com. I click on the officemax link on this page, http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...html#OfficeMax. It always ask me for the DM, my DM shows on the screen and it tells me how miles that I earned for that order. On average, it takes ten (10) days for the mileage credit to show up on my account.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Throughout the year, I buy office supplies from officemax.com. I click on the officemax link on this page, http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...html#OfficeMax. It always ask me for the DM, my DM shows on the screen and it tells me how miles that I earned for that order. On average, it takes ten (10) days for the mileage credit to show up on my account.
It's certainly not asking ATM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.