Office Max [master thread]

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by belgirl
Time out. First of all, this is not my first go around with the promo. I have never ordered anything through Office Max before, but I have participated in the promo before.

Secondly, at least I am trying to get to the root of the problem. Have you contacted Office Max? Have you talked to US Airways? To say that it's "useless" is usually because people give up too easily. It's real easy to sit back and complain something isn't working and let everyone else do the dirty work. It's something else to try to part of the solution. Savvy?
Well, that's much different. Yes, it's great for those who try. If you've seen my other posts, you'll see I'm trying to do the exact same thing with trackitback and getting to the bottom of the subscription problem.

But the post that I responded to was not one where you said, "I'm a trier," it was one where said you were a "results" person, which implied you'd obtained a good result. You didn't. It's still clear as mud and you didn't seem to understand the ambiguity or incorrect information in the response you received from officemax. Worse, you posted in a brand new thread in a manner that would (likely wrongly) suggest that the issue was resolved and that all people had to do was log into their accounts to get the mileage, and even though there already is an existing thread with a lengthy discussion of this very issue, potential solutions (including yours), and the risks involved and which discussed the problems with the very solution you thought you'd found.

And the risks involved are significant. If you make this your 36th hit, assuming your information is correct, and it doesn't come through, you either need an insurance hit or you lose 20k miles. Or if it's your 24th hit and you're relying on the pqm for status, and the promo ends without an officemax hit, it's a bad situation. There is an extremely measured and balanced thread where beltway is undertaking fairly herculean efforts to keep us all informed about these very issues including officemax, and the risks and rewards. At most, your post should have been in that thread, where those following it could have explained why the response you got was unhelpful and potentially dangerous.

As to your other point, I've gone out of my way to be a guinea pig in this promo in this year and in years past. I'm doing a transaction for the magazine partner that's not on this list to post back whether, by chance, it counts for a secret hit. As mentioned, I'm taking the lead on getting trackitback to clarify the subscription issue. Last year I wasted money to give clarity on the supershuttle situation and the Wingate issue. So, I think you've got the wrong guy.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

Secondly, at least I am trying to get to the root of the problem. Have you contacted Office Max? Have you talked to US Airways? To say that it's "useless" is usually because people give up too easily. It's real easy to sit back and complain something isn't working and let everyone else do the dirty work. It's something else to try to part of the solution.
Since you already read the relevant discussion in the master thread, you'll recall that on September 7 I spoke to two people at OfficeMax and a so-called online-support rep at US. Nobody had an inkling of a scintilla of a clue.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
There is no place to mention DM# while placing the order. There is no place to enter instructions or additional information or anything.

Update:

Spoke to an Officemax rep and she said the link from the airline website should identify you and automatically give you credit. So we are back to link issue.

Secondly print orders and Impress orders do not qualify for bonus.

Last edited by virtuo0; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:25 am
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by virtuo0
There is no place to mention DM# while placing the order. There is no place to enter instructions or additional information or anything.

Update:

Spoke to an Officemax rep and she said the link from the airline website should identify you and automatically give you credit. So we are back to link issue.
See my latest post in the master thread. There was an input field on the OfficeMax site last year, accessed via the exact same link from US. I say the rep you spoke to is wrong, and the link isn't (and never was) the issue. If, against all odds, someone gets a hit from doing as the rep suggested, do let me know.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
Originally Posted by beltway
Since you already read the relevant discussion in the master thread, you'll recall that on September 7 I spoke to two people at OfficeMax and a so-called online-support rep at US. Nobody had an inkling of a scintilla of a clue.
Which is why you keep trying until you get the appropriate response. I don't give up so easily. You have to know who to talk to. This is the response from Office Max:

"We are currently working on a resolution to this issue. We do know that this is an error that is with US Airways and they have been notified. If you have any further questions please contact us."

So I would recommend to everyone NOT to order from Office Max until the problem is resolved. I will let everyone know if I get an ETA on resolution.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Cool

it's time for the professional guy to investitage
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
Well, that's much different. Yes, it's great for those who try. If you've seen my other posts, you'll see I'm trying to do the exact same thing with trackitback and getting to the bottom of the subscription problem.

But the post that I responded to was not one where you said, "I'm a trier," it was one where said you were a "results" person, which implied you'd obtained a good result. You didn't. It's still clear as mud and you didn't seem to understand the ambiguity or incorrect information in the response you received from officemax. Worse, you posted in a brand new thread in a manner that would (likely wrongly) suggest that the issue was resolved and that all people had to do was log into their accounts to get the mileage, and even though there already is an existing thread with a lengthy discussion of this very issue, potential solutions (including yours), and the risks involved and which discussed the problems with the very solution you thought you'd found.

And the risks involved are significant. If you make this your 36th hit, assuming your information is correct, and it doesn't come through, you either need an insurance hit or you lose 20k miles. Or if it's your 24th hit and you're relying on the pqm for status, and the promo ends without an officemax hit, it's a bad situation. There is an extremely measured and balanced thread where beltway is undertaking fairly herculean efforts to keep us all informed about these very issues including officemax, and the risks and rewards. At most, your post should have been in that thread, where those following it could have explained why the response you got was unhelpful and potentially dangerous.

As to your other point, I've gone out of my way to be a guinea pig in this promo in this year and in years past. I'm doing a transaction for the magazine partner that's not on this list to post back whether, by chance, it counts for a secret hit. As mentioned, I'm taking the lead on getting trackitback to clarify the subscription issue. Last year I wasted money to give clarity on the supershuttle situation and the Wingate issue. So, I think you've got the wrong guy.
Unfortunately, you failed to read the rest of the thread. After I posted, I updated the thread to let everyone know that there was no link, that I had contacted Office Max about this, and that I was waiting for a resolution. (which I have gotten) Nuff said.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Just form there Customer Support:

Thank you for your email. We do not have a field to enter your US Airways number on our website. You would need to visit the US Airways website, log into your account, and follow the links from there.
I will give them a try now !
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:12 am

Unfortunately, you failed to read the rest of the thread. After I posted, I updated the thread to let everyone know that there was no link, that I had contacted Office Max about this, and that I was waiting for a resolution. (which I have gotten) Nuff said.
If you don't understand why implying people like beltway are crybabies ruffles feathers, I'm really not sure there's anything else I can say.

But I'll try.

Here's what I'm doing to see whether Magazine Mileage Awards is a hit. I'm having a family member use her account to get exactly 3 quick hits and then I'm going to buy a magazine through MMA for the 4th hit. I'll do no other activity in that account until all 4 activities generate milesage in the acconunt and there is a mileage sweep (because any number other than 4 or a multiple of 4 will make it impossible to tell if the MMA was registered as an actual hit). This is a bit of a hail mary, and I'll be buying a magazine I don't need and burning an account for the promo for as much as a month or maybe more. In the event that I do discover a secret hit, I'll have something to give back to the community that's helped with this promo for 3 years.

If you want to do something like that for officemax or any other partner, I guess it's ok by me if you want to call the rest of us crybabies. Simply shooting off an e-mail that at least a dozen of us, or probably two dozen, already have sent to officemax and gotten the same responses, just doesn't do it for me. But that's just one person's opinion. Others may disagree. It's great that you're adding to the pressure officemax is feeling to fix the issue (at least when they feel like not denying it has anything to do with them).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:13 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Have done this, too, as I need the stuff next week.

Will see, what happend.

I noticed, that I mistyped the valid date of my cc, so they might either cancel the order or try to contact me.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
If you don't understand why implying people like beltway are crybabies ruffles feathers, I'm really not sure there's anything else I can say.

But I'll try.

Here's what I'm doing to see whether Magazine Mileage Awards is a hit. I'm having a family member use her account to get exactly 3 quick hits and then I'm going to buy a magazine through MMA for the 4th hit. I'll do no other activity in that account until all 4 activities generate milesage in the acconunt and there is a mileage sweep (because any number other than 4 or a multiple of 4 will make it impossible to tell if the MMA was registered as an actual hit). This is a bit of a hail mary, and I'll be buying a magazine I don't need and burning an account for the promo for as much as a month or maybe more. In the event that I do discover a secret hit, I'll have something to give back to the community that's helped with this promo for 3 years.

If you want to do something like that for officemax or any other partner, I guess it's ok by me if you want to call the rest of us crybabies. Simply shooting off an e-mail that at least a dozen of us, or probably two dozen, already have sent to officemax and gotten the same responses, just doesn't do it for me. But that's just one person's opinion. Others may disagree. It's great that you're adding to the pressure officemax is feeling to fix the issue (at least when they feel like not denying it has anything to do with them).
You know what. I am not going to continue to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else about this. I got essentially dissed for trying to be helpful which is what elicited my response. And you wonder why THAT would ruffle my feathers? If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, then move on.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:07 pm

This is the response from Office Max:

"We are currently working on a resolution to this issue. We do know that this is an error that is with US Airways and they have been notified. If you have any further questions please contact us."

So I would recommend to everyone NOT to order from Office Max until the problem is resolved. I will let everyone know if I get an ETA on resolution.
I also wrote to US about it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Cool. There IS a resolution to this issue and I am going to get to the bottom of it if it kills me! LOL.

Originally Posted by rrgg
I also wrote to US about it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:55 pm

folks on an unrelated note do giftcards count for a hit?
I fail to see anythign in their T&C forbidding gc purchases...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by BudgetBackpacker
I used to work for a major online coupon website, so I know a bit about online affiliate marketing and tracking links.

Office Max using tracking links (they're a part of the Google affiliate network) to place orders from 3rd party sites. You have to be logged into the 3rd party site (like US Airways) for the link to work correctly.

Once you are logged in, click on the Office Max link:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...html#OfficeMax

Once you outclick, it will take you to a URL where you should see this:
"affiliateLogin.jsp?affcode=usairways" as part of the URL.

Even though the page doesn't display anything, it's working correctly. Just click on the Office Max logo and begin shopping. This tracking link will follow you throughout your Office Max order.

Also from experience - social media teams and/or call centers don't always know how affiliate marketing works, so they may not explain how it will track your order very well.

If you want to cover all your bases you can always enter your DM# into the Purchase Order section when you check out. This number shows up on your receipt in case you need to dispute it later.

Hope this helps
I used to be an IT guy who gave a .... and that's unlikely to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.