How Are You Going to Use Your GS Miles?

Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA
Just used my miles this morning by booking 2 tickets to FCO from CLT in January. I usually travel east of Berlin, so this is my first time going to a big western European capital. I don't know what to expect, to be honest. Hopefully I'll be surprised since my expectations of Rome (along with Paris, London, or Madrid) aren't too high.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Got 16 hits-totally satisfied. Was able to buy a 25k award back home for xmas time. Feel like its the best thing I can do since my parents are paying for college and all.
That's awesome. Glad to see there are some other college students on here that collect miles. I got 16 hits (+1 safety hit) as long as they all post. Should have enough with my current balance and my hits to get an off peak reward to London this January/February which are usually only around 35,000 for Y.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:27 pm

Hope to book a Biz or 1st class from LAX to HAN , PNH to LAX for traveling in Dec. 2012
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Someday the GF and I are going to go in F to OGG. And I don;t think its a bad value for miles, so please don;t bring it up. Some of us have no desire to go to europe or asia.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I started with a plan to do 32 hits and get most of the way to a J award to Europe. I decided to push to 36 hits (since even my four most expensive hits for the last 20k miles puts me at ~0.8cpm), so I'm within striking distance of North Asia via Europe in F.

For the time being, I'm waiting for hits to finish posting...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
Boy, my 110,000 miles was only in the account briefly..lol..Just booked two round-trip first class tickets to the Netherlands Antilles. Wanted to book sooner rather than later so we could get the low miles for first class/envoy. Can't wait!!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by ajs1991
That's awesome. Glad to see there are some other college students on here that collect miles. I got 16 hits (+1 safety hit) as long as they all post. Should have enough with my current balance and my hits to get an off peak reward to London this January/February which are usually only around 35,000 for Y.
I'm booked to LHR in January for 35K. Such an awesome deal. If you have the miles in your account and have dates picked, don't wait too long to book. With taxes, the flight was around $200 or so, which is $600 less than my ticket was when I went to LHR in September. $600/35K is $0.01714. Not too bad! ^
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
My wife and I are about to book an IAD-IST (stop)-BEY in J round trip to visit my brother-in-law in Beirut with a nice little stop in Istanbul. Definitely worth the hassle!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Just signed up for Awardwallet (thank for the link kendenton) - very impressed so far. I think I'd rather just look at my miles balances than actually do anything to use them
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vysean
Except that off-peak awards are only on US metal and US doesn't fly to Budapest.

The closest you could get in the off season would be Munich.
Still not a bad award... We've used MUC as the place to fly into for Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, etc. Our reasons have been related to cheap fares and the availability of United SWU's.

Hertz in MUC seems used to people renting there to immediately leave Germany. They have different rental agreements for different makes of cars - including some that can go pretty far east and south. (Former Yugoslav area in a Kia? No problem!)

Never done it in the dead of winter though. Not sure how passable the main roads through the mountains are. I guess if Budapest is the only destination you just tack on a cheap flight at the end.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:55 am

Yeah sorry I actually meant Munich, I was thinking of their furthest east destination in Europe and for some reason thought it was BUD.

Still a very good reward.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I just booked two roundtrip tickets in Continental Business First: PIT->EWR-DEL for 5/25 return 6/4

Lots of availability in J in continental to DEL in May June July. It may not be F, but it is very nice (and nonstop)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
Just signed up for Awardwallet (thank for the link kendenton) - very impressed so far. I think I'd rather just look at my miles balances than actually do anything to use them
Ha! I totally agree. I don't know if I can bring myself to part with these miles; it is too fun to look at my balances!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dado55
Ha! I totally agree. I don't know if I can bring myself to part with these miles; it is too fun to look at my balances!
Haha, agreed! ^ I'm done with my hits so I'm out of "GS mode," but not all my hits/bonuses have posted. So I'm going to be incredibly ecstatic when I wake up with 40,000+ miles extra next week!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:49 pm

I'm going to go to South Africa in business class in 2013. 110K to Africa is one of the gems of the US chart, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.