Netflix

Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Netflix

A few years ago I had netflix. If I renew it with the Grand Slam will that count as a hit or is it new customers only?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:39 am

New customers only.

BUT it's pretty easy to get a hit as they don't ask for your address if you do streaming-only. So use a different e-mail address and credit card than the one you used before. Netflix then has no way of knowing you're not a new customer.

(Ethically I wouldn't feel bad about it in this case, since if it's been several years you really kind of are a new customer)

Don't forget though, that you have to keep the subscription at least six months. And it looks like that may be enforced this year. If you cancel before six months, ALL of your GS miles will be forfeit, even ones earned on other hits.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:48 am

Also I'm assuming you've never had a netflix account assigned to a US Airways DM number. If you've gotten a US Airways bonus before, you can't get one again to the same DM number.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Here are three posts from last year on ways folks got around the "new customer" angle with Netflix. I cannot say if they will work this year, but this was what was reported as working last year. Good luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14574502-post128.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14762128-post1653.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14951394-post3842.html

(The links all look the same, but each goes to a different post.)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:54 am

Does anyone know if "gifting" a subscription counts? E.g. I could gift my mother a 1-disc subscription. I'm a current customer, but she's not...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:20 pm

Putting account on-hold

Does anyone here think putting one's account on indefinite hold (after the first billing) constitutes cancellation?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salparadise46
Does anyone here think putting one's account on indefinite hold (after the first billing) constitutes cancellation?
I was thinking the same. We could also un-hold it before the 6 month check so that US would see that it's still Active.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:17 pm

Anyone knows if I could get a hit for a new netflix suscription from Argentina?

Netflix has been offering the service in some south american countries since last week.

what do you think?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by clurdaneta
Anyone knows if I could get a hit for a new netflix suscription from Argentina?

Netflix has been offering the service in some south american countries since last week.

what do you think?
Follow the link and subscription process as outlined starting on the relevent US Airways Dividend Miles web page (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...s.html#Netflix). If you can subscribe for service in Argentina via that mechanism, you should get 1,500 signup miles and the resulting Grand Slam hit.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:53 pm

Does anyone know if I can sign up for Netflix DVDs by mail only? I've been using my parents' streaming subscription (which I almost never use anyway), but I do miss having DVDs by mail. However, when I use the US Airways link to sign up for Netflix, it brings me to the signup for a one-month free trial which is only for streaming. DVDs can be added to that for an extra $7.99, but I don't see a way to do DVD only. I'd hate to just do the streaming and pay over $48 for a hit.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mj12g
Does anyone know if I can sign up for Netflix DVDs by mail only? I've been using my parents' streaming subscription (which I almost never use anyway), but I do miss having DVDs by mail. However, when I use the US Airways link to sign up for Netflix, it brings me to the signup for a one-month free trial which is only for streaming. DVDs can be added to that for an extra $7.99, but I don't see a way to do DVD only. I'd hate to just do the streaming and pay over $48 for a hit.
I assume you can sign up for DVD-only, but I don't know. I'm replying to direct your attention to details, like the one in the T&C of the promo that say you sacrifice all the miles you earn in GS if you cancel a subscription placed for a hit within 6 months. In other words, you will be paying at least $48 for the hit. Though if you want to subscribe to Netfilx DVD-only anyway, I suppose you could say that's a no-cost hit.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mj12g
You can change your preference to DVDs. I think there is a drop down box. Look carefully - it is there.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:54 pm

Does the free month screw things up?

I was going to sign up for Netflix anyway so I did through the US Airways site. I don't think I will get a hit though because they don't start billing until after the first free month. I assume this means the activity date won't be until the end of November. Can someone confirm this?

After I signed up I phoned and tried to not have the free month but they said they can't charge me for the first month. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by garytimo
I was going to sign up for Netflix anyway so I did through the US Airways site. I don't think I will get a hit though because they don't start billing until after the first free month. I assume this means the activity date won't be until the end of November. Can someone confirm this?

After I signed up I phoned and tried to not have the free month but they said they can't charge me for the first month. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Netflix post with the activity date of the day you originally signed up. They post the miles a few days after they charge your credit card.

From last year: 10/8/2010 11/16/10 NETFLIX MILEAGE AWARDS 1,500
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty
You can change your preference to DVDs. I think there is a drop down box. Look carefully - it is there.
Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the free trial for streaming-only, then when I created my account I simply changed it to DVD-only. Worked like a charm. Let's just hope the hit comes through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.