Car Rentals [master thread]

Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Thrifty Parking Points?

Originally Posted by points guy
Hi all....have a question about people's experience with car rentals last year.

Did you actually have to go pick up the car? Or could you just make the reservation, no show and be charged for it and grab the hit that way?? Thrifty has some great deals at the Philly airport for a weekend day (roughly $16 all in...)...however not sure if it's worth driving an hour down and an hour back on six separate occasions.

If anyone had success last year without having to actually go get the car could you let us know. Thanks!!!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Thrifty Parking Points?

Originally Posted by samhoq
So has someone yet found the cheapest rentals for the GS11 promo?
Sorry about the above empty post...
Last year 3 airport parkings at Thrifty yielded 300 US miles and qualified for a Grand Slam hit. Does anyone know if it will this year? It sounds like no, as it is not a "rental"
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by rookie10
When I set up my profile I entered all my info including my partner airline US Air. I think I checked a box indicating to accept surcharge and that it was my preferred choice. Set up an account if you have not done so and you should be able to update your profile with your DM info.
Thanks. I will give that a shot. I tried entering the code from the DM site, but that bounced the rate up about ten bucks.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:18 pm

deleted

Last edited by cjzhang2000; Sep 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Can't you get a one way rental from Manhattan to LGA at a very good rate?
Seems like I read that somewhere on FT....

Found it here. Hertz one way rates.

Lowest rate I could find was $66 ai. Looks good for those on an expense account.

Last edited by Gamecock; Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:02 pm

I just did the Hertz hourly rate in Manhattan and it worked: receipt shows DM number and "50 miles awarded." $15.29 a/i: $12 rate + $0.75 FF surcharge + $2.54 taxes. Use code HRLYD. The reservation shows a higher daily rate at first, but the counter agent knocks it down to hourly in person (and on the contract) upon timely return.

Last edited by NewArrival; Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm Reason: clarification
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:43 am

Stupid question

I'm sure this will be a stupid question, but I'm new to GS, so please forgive my ignorance/confusion:

For car rentals, you can get max 6 hits per member - what exactly does that mean?
- is it 6 hits total from car rentals, no matter which rental company (so potential to get up to 6 hits from Dollar alone) OR
- is it 1 hit per rental car company, up to 6 hits total over the 8?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by footypjman
I'm sure this will be a stupid question, but I'm new to GS, so please forgive my ignorance/confusion:

For car rentals, you can get max 6 hits per member - what exactly does that mean?
- is it 6 hits total from car rentals, no matter which rental company (so potential to get up to 6 hits from Dollar alone) OR
- is it 1 hit per rental car company, up to 6 hits total over the 8?
6 rentals, any mix of vendors. Last year I got 5 from National and 1 from Hertz. With AAA discounts Hertz can be the low price on weekends.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewArrival
I just did the Hertz hourly rate in Manhattan and it worked: receipt shows DM number and "50 miles awarded." $15.29 a/i: $12 rate + $0.75 FF surcharge + $2.54 taxes. Use code HRLYD. The reservation shows a higher daily rate at first, but the counter agent knocks it down to hourly in person (and on the contract) upon timely return.
Nice. Any luck doing this without actually taking the car anywhere? I'd hope they won't make me circle the block, especially as gas is included I would think they'd let you just charge it.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
Nice. Any luck doing this without actually taking the car anywhere? I'd hope they won't make me circle the block, especially as gas is included I would think they'd let you just charge it.
I circled the block halfway, parked for 10-15 minutes while enjoying the fresh carpet and laughing silently about it (I'm easily amused), then returned it. I never asked to skip taking the car, so I can't say, but the agent seemed easygoing enough to probably have agreed to a car-less rental. Depends which agent/location maybe.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:33 pm

Awesome tip! I wasn't aware that hourly was possible. I'm headed into the city this weekend so I know what I'll be doing.

Here is the list of hourly locations for Hertz: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...jsp&Category=D
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:34 pm
Suspended

I circled the block halfway, parked for 10-15 minutes while enjoying the fresh carpet and laughing silently about it (I'm easily amused),
Perhaps we need a new thread: "Things I have done in the course of earning Grand Slam hits that an obective observer would interpret as prima facie evidence of mental derangement." That would certainly stress-test the FT servers.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps we need a new thread: "Things I have done in the course of earning Grand Slam hits that an obective observer would interpret as prima facie evidence of mental derangement." That would certainly stress-test the FT servers.
If only you knew how close I came to naming a thread that after reading your post. The character-max cut it off. This promo is like thousands of classmates on a field trip/scavenger hunt, testing the buddy-system limits while jumping across moving traffic against the light and outside the crosswalk, but at the end of the semester, we all get seats on airplanes around the world! For cheap. OK, back to the concise, serious, on-topic, limited posts.

Last edited by NewArrival; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Excellent news. Early Oct will see me at an NYC hertz somewhere between 4-6 times.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:04 am

I just noticed the hertz code listed here is HRLYD, whereas the one that was applied when I clicked on the special rates is HOURLY.

I assume these are the same rate?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.