Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by metoo
Can you receive promotional miles from car rental and a "hit" as well.
For the US Airways GS hit, you just need a rental that posts US Airways miles. If there are other promotions, bonus miles, Amex perks, etc., I imagine those are fine to achieve...as long as the rental posts US miles.

For most people, this will mean flipping your National preference from Free Days to air miles. I'll be giving up 1/5th of a Free Rental Day for each US hit. Since those free days are worth $100-120 each to me, these aren't the cheapest hits...but they're 6 that I need as part of my overall run to 80,000 miles so I guess it's worth it.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think you need to have your car rental profiles set to earn Dividend Miles as your rental reward preference. So log into your National Emerald Club account, or your Hertz #1 club account, or Budget Rapid Rewards, etc, and make sure US Airways is selected as your preferred partner.

Then, as long as your car rental program number is on your reservation, you should have the miles post after your rental.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Exclamation

Originally Posted by farbster
I have what I hope is an easy question. Can I book a car rental anywhere and just use my Usair Div. Mile number on the reservation or do I need to book through the Usair website? I noticed that they put a code in the reservation (maybe US10?). Can I use a coupon code like Costco's and enter my DM number and still get a hit?

TIA
Why don't you ask your question HERE ?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Why don't you ask your question HERE ?
Good point. Would mods/anyone object to combining "car rental question" and "car rental procedures" threads?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by points guy
Hi all....have a question about people's experience with car rentals last year.

Did you actually have to go pick up the car? Or could you just make the reservation, no show and be charged for it and grab the hit that way?? Thrifty has some great deals at the Philly airport for a weekend day (roughly $16 all in...)...however not sure if it's worth driving an hour down and an hour back on six separate occasions.

If anyone had success last year without having to actually go get the car could you let us know. Thanks!!!
Wait, are you saying you've actually been charged for a car rental when you no-show??? I have never, ever heard of that.

I routinely book two or three rentals for the same day, make a decision the day of as to which one I want, and that's it...I've never once cancelled any of the reservations I haven't used, and I've never been charged, despite them having my CC# as part of the reservation, etc. I've done this dozens and dozens of times.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Wait, are you saying you've actually been charged for a car rental when you no-show??? I have never, ever heard of that.

I routinely book two or three rentals for the same day, make a decision the day of as to which one I want, and that's it...I've never once cancelled any of the reservations I haven't used, and I've never been charged, despite them having my CC# as part of the reservation, etc. I've done this dozens and dozens of times.
It sounds like some people from last year got to know an off-airport location and specifically asked to be charged so they could get their hits. I've never been charged for a no-show either. (Obviously you would on a Hotwire/Priceline rental but those aren't in scope for GS hits...)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
It sounds like some people from last year got to know an off-airport location and specifically asked to be charged so they could get their hits. I've never been charged for a no-show either. (Obviously you would on a Hotwire/Priceline rental but those aren't in scope for GS hits...)
We're always charged for no-shows using prepaid/pay-in-full/advance-pay rates online, right? Only by reserving online without prepay rates are we not charged immediately.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by NewArrival
We're always charged for no-shows using prepaid/pay-in-full/advance-pay rates online, right? Only by reserving online without prepay rates are we not charged immediately.
I was researching this earlier and found this at Budget's website ;"If you don't show up for your rental, we'll refund the full prepaid amount less a $50 no-show processing fee."

The question is...does the no show fee constitute a bonus earning rental?...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
can anyone tell me if there is anyway to get a car rental hit when someone else picks up the car?
is that possible?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
can anyone tell me if there is anyway to get a car rental hit when someone else picks up the car?
is that possible?
Worked last year great at Hertz, at least with the same last name, but I don't think that would matter.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:56 pm

If anyone is doing a car rental anyway (e.g. not just for a hit), you can register with Hertz Gold for free (cancel within a year). Members also get 500 Bonus points which is enough for a weekend day rental.

1.Click http://goldplus.hertz.com/
2.Register for Gold Membership (Free & $60 Value)
3.Earn 500 bonus points, Qualify for 1 Free Weekend Day Rental

You can transfer 600 points to US Airways, so you'll still need to get 100 points somehow if you're looking to transfer points.

600 Points = 500 Miles or 1200 Southwest Points or 1,000 Priority Club Points.

* it takes up to 4 weeks for bonus points to post. *

Also, Hertz is offering $5 1-way rentals. Conditions apply of course: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/bb-8657875/drive-into-arizona-for-as-little-as-$5-per-day-special-offer

Last edited by kvs25; Sep 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm Reason: more info added
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kvs25
You can transfer 600 points to US Airways, so you'll still need to get 100 points somehow if you're looking to transfer points.

600 Points = 500 Miles or 1200 Southwest Points or 1,000 Priority Club Points.
I am a little confused. If I have 600 "hertz points" and I transfer it to us airways, that will count as a "hit" and show up as if I rented a car? and if I do that 6 times, I get all 6 possible hits?! that would be great if that is the case...but seems to easy to be true...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by moebod
I am a little confused. If I have 600 "hertz points" and I transfer it to us airways, that will count as a "hit" and show up as if I rented a car? and if I do that 6 times, I get all 6 possible hits?! that would be great if that is the case...but seems to easy to be true...
no, you only get it one hit for the first transfer.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: US Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National Exec.
Originally Posted by heffa
Worked last year great at Hertz, at least with the same last name, but I don't think that would matter.
So...I can reserve a car for my parents under my name and the rental agency (typically National for me) would let them pick up and use the car? They would get to use my executive perks, and I would get the points and hit? This seems like a win win to me, has anyone done this before?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by moebod
I doubt US would be tricked into thinking a transfer was a rental. There is no hit for a transfer. Just for rentals. If a transfer does work though, let us know! I can't remember anyone trying it last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.