Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion
Reload this Page >

"Other partner" hits (not Shopping Mall) [master thread]

"Other partner" hits (not Shopping Mall) [master thread]

Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:42 pm

Just bumping to call your attention to updates in past few posts, in case you read earlier and haven't since.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by starflyer
I've emailed OfficeMax to ask them if this will work. Will report if I receive a response.
Sometimes it's better to take the expense of a trial run as the cost of admission, and see what happens yourself, as opposed to calling the merchant. There's always a chance that the loophole will work and they simply weren't aware of it. Bringing loopholes to the attention of the vendor is sometimes what gets the loopholes closed. Considering you can test this theory with just a few dollars and a trip to the local Office Max, it may prove quite costly to ask the vendor.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NewArrival
Just thought of a possibly legitimate way to avoid OfficeMax.com's shipping fee altogether while ordering a $1 item. If this works, it's a virtually free hit:

Order two items from OfficeMax.com -- something $1 and something $50. Receive both by mail with no shipping fee, then return the $50 item in-store locally. Keep the $1 item. You've paid just $1. Points for the small item post.

OfficeMax's return policy for online purchase doesn't forbid returning part of a shipment in store, from my read. I'll verify and edit this post yes or no. And nowhere does it indicate an entire shipment's miles will all be reversed if just part is returned. I'll verify this too and report back. Anyone know if I missed it online or misread? Happy to be proved wrong (or right!).

UPDATE:
Good news. OfficeMax.com phone rep says online purchases can be returned in-store "as long as the store stocks the same item" being returned. So if you're planning on it, be sure the $50 item is carried at a local store to know they'll take the return. Now to confirm the miles part...

SECOND UPDATE:
Also good news. Another OfficeMax.com phone rep confirms we keep miles for items kept and only forfeit miles for individual returned items. $1 hit, no shipping! (Rest assured I asked each question on separate calls, without mentioning anything about a promo, etc.) Screenshot of online return policy is worth keeping. And I'm not concerned about revealing this strategy in plain view of possible lurkers because it's past Sept. 1 and GS terms are fixed. If FTers want me to remove this post to be on the safe side, no problem.
I tried this last year, and it did not work. The store would not take the return - possibly it was an item they didn't carry, as you said, and had I ordered an item they carried it would have worked out fine. I can confirm that I returned the $50 item to the online "store", and I did retain points for the cheap item I kept, hit intact.

This year I'm going to order a $50 iTunes GC and a small cheap item and hopefully get free shipping and be able to use/resell both items. My thought is even if the GC doesn't earn miles, the cheap item will, so I should still at least get a few miles and the free shipping as desired.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Audience Rewards

What are the chances that Audience Rewards trivia sneaks in as a hit?
https://www.audiencerewards.com/usairways/trivia.cfm

What is the cheapest ticket on this site?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Devyan1
What are the chances that Audience Rewards trivia sneaks in as a hit?
https://www.audiencerewards.com/usairways/trivia.cfm

What is the cheapest ticket on this site?
It spefically says only ticket purchases qualify so I'd imagine, while possible, a trivia hit wouldn't be likely.

Do we know yet if it counts on the show date as last year's did, or purchase date?

No real cheapies here unfortunately. No kids shows for $12 that I can find, but that seems to be due to AR seeming to have restructured more than any changes in GS rules. Just looks like AR is going after the big-name off-Broadway show business as opposed to community theatre.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I have a question about the Energy Plus. I know that it seems to be the consensus that they will overcharge you, which may make me not sign up for it anyway. But, my question is about another offer that I received from US Airways and Energy Plus.

I got an email a couple weeks ago offering 12,500 DM for signing up for Energy Plus (and keeping it for 2 months). Would I be able to sign up through this offer instead of the "standard" offer listed in this thread (I believe only 5k DM)? Or is there something that specifically says that I need to sign up for the one in this thread?

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I got an email a couple weeks ago offering 12,500 DM for signing up for Energy Plus (and keeping it for 2 months). Would I be able to sign up through this offer instead of the "standard" offer listed in this thread (I believe only 5k DM)?
Any strategy that involves canceling a subscription service for which you receive US miles -- whether it's a hit or not, whether it got you to a tier or not -- after fewer than 6 months seems to me fraught with peril. Given just how big the downside is, I wouldn't do it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Any strategy that involves canceling a subscription service for which you receive US miles -- whether it's a hit or not, whether it got you to a tier or not -- after fewer than 6 months seems to me fraught with peril. Given just how big the downside is, I wouldn't do it.
Agreed, and for that reason, I get the feeling these subscription partners are about to see very little business, if any, from GS participants this year, unfortunately. I'd be surprised if any GSer who reads the terms carefully ends up subscribing to one of these subscription partners, aside from Netflix. Hope I'm wrong; I don't wish a lack of customers on them, but it's unlikely. Then again maybe a lot of GSers (not on FT) won't read the terms carefully?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
Thanks for responding...

I'm aware that I would need to keep the subscription for 6 months to qualify for the GS promotion, I was just letting you know the terms of the offer that I received.

So, I was wondering if I could sign up through that promotion (and keep it for the 6 months) and have it count for a GS hit AND get the 12,500 bonus DM miles rather than the 5,000 listed?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti
It spefically says only ticket purchases qualify so I'd imagine, while possible, a trivia hit wouldn't be likely.

Do we know yet if it counts on the show date as last year's did, or purchase date?

No real cheapies here unfortunately. No kids shows for $12 that I can find, but that seems to be due to AR seeming to have restructured more than any changes in GS rules. Just looks like AR is going after the big-name off-Broadway show business as opposed to community theatre.

For Audience Rewards, there is SLAMCHARLOTTE POETRY SLAM on 9/16 with general admission tickets costing $10.00 which totals $12.50 a/i.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Aud. Rew.

Where does it say only ticket purchases and not trivia count as a GS hit?
Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by bosnyc
Thanks.
Read post #1 of this thread for the restrictions on these vendors.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bosnyc
In the Audience Rewards T&C, it says that AW points cannot be transfered to airline miles.

However, in recent months AW seems to have rolled out a modified version of the trivia contest in which you can earn a few airline miles directly (no separate transfer involved) by answering a few Broadway-related trivia questions. (Gary Steiger keeps a running tally of these, with answers, at http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.co...udienceRewards.) It remains to be seen whether these will count as a hit.

Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd suggest holding off on ticket purchases until after the first crediting date for GS hits (9/28).

I have updated post #1 accordingly.

Last edited by beltway; Sep 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
surely the quizzes even for direct us miles dont count as a hit from audience rewards?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:53 am

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Netflix

Last year's GS posted that Netflix hit can only go to an address which had not been used previously. These are the same conditions this year. I guess no use trying to sign up another member of our household.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.