Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion
Reload this Page >

"Other partner" hits (not Shopping Mall) [master thread]

"Other partner" hits (not Shopping Mall) [master thread]

Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
It looks like the phone options are the Droid 2, LG Vortex, Blackberry Bold, or Droid X. If you don't want one of these, you may be out of luck. Generally these deals require you to keep the phone active on your line for six months or the rebate is revoked, so you can't just switch back to your old phone and sell the free phone.
I really was hoping that once my current contract was up, I could switch to an iphone and pay the reduced rate for those who re-up for 2 years. It doesn't look like there's any way to do that and get the 10k bonus.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Anybody want to get closer to $1.00 without going under? Not that this a dare or anything....
I think what I'm gonna do is order something for under a dollar, than call and try to get a CSR to bump the order up to $1.01.

But seriously, you're paying for shipping anyways, why not get a decent pen or pencils for a few bucks that you can use?

I think I'm gonna get the Parker Jotter for $7.99 (link). Solid stainless steel barrel and a great shape. Not too narrow like the Zebras. I used to have one but lost it. Great pen!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Yinzer
As this is my first year with this promotion do PO BOX's work? I know a number of friends who wouldn't mind getting things who have PO's for business or because they gave up on ...... carrier service.
It's up to the merchant. Many ship by UPS or Fedex Ground. TrackItBack, iirc, ships only by post - they are sending just a sticker and they are sending it from Canada, but I don't see why they wouldn't ship to a PO box.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
I really was hoping that once my current contract was up, I could switch to an iphone and pay the reduced rate for those who re-up for 2 years. It doesn't look like there's any way to do that and get the 10k bonus.
Especially since on closer examination, the US partner is not technically Verizon Wireless, but rather some outfit -- presumably a reseller -- called Tranzmobile. They're not going to give you a break for having been a direct customer of VZW in the past, even if they offer an iPhone package.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I guess I'd start with
  • the serious useability cost of having a very cluttered, constantly shifting thread list
  • the fact that many partners really don't need (or deserve) a separate thread
  • the experience of past Grand Slams, which IMO is that combined threads work quite well if the OP is willing to curate post #1 to capture and organize the best suggestions of thread participants
  • the benefit for users of having to subscribe to only one thread (which produces potential side benefits such as learning about good partner opportunities that one might not otherwise consider)
I'd rather look for one on-topic thread than having to sift through a thread with 45 separate discussions going on. YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
It looks like the phone options are the Droid 2, LG Vortex, Blackberry Bold, or Droid X. If you don't want one of these, you may be out of luck. Generally these deals require you to keep the phone active on your line for six months or the rebate is revoked, so you can't just switch back to your old phone and sell the free phone.
I want the Droid Incredible 2, which is different than the Droid 2 -- but it's what's written on the US Air website. HMMM. It's not taking my SSN so I can't screw around any farther into the website, though. Probably because I'm not the acct owner...will have to investigate.

Especially since on closer examination, the US partner is not technically Verizon Wireless, but rather some outfit -- presumably a reseller -- called Tranzmobile. They're not going to give you a break for having been a direct customer of VZW in the past, even if they offer an iPhone package.
Oh damn, I would really prefer to buy directly from Verizon...guess I'll sit on this one. Gonna buy the phone either way, but a free Incredible 2 is way better than the $200 price they have in the stores, so maybe I will call tomorrow to clarify.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marshlight
I would really prefer to buy directly from Verizon...guess I'll sit on this one. Gonna buy the phone either way, but a free Incredible 2 is way better than the $200 price they have in the stores, so maybe I will call tomorrow to clarify.
FWIW, Tranzmobile (aka MG, LLC) is listed as a BBB accredited business with a comparatively clean record.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Anybody want to get closer to $1.00 without going under? Not that this a dare or anything....
On sale at the moment for $1.00:
Dial Basics Liquid Hand Soap, 7.5-oz.

Or while supplies last:
OfficeMax 5-Pack 3.5" Diskette Cases
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
well, with the new stipulations for the wine and 21st quote and a couple of other BS requirements, i would be losing about 4-6 hits that i got last year through partners. screw it. not worth the top tier this year.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
For Wine Insider, I only see that you can enter your DM # if signing up for the 12 bottle offer... went all the way through to purchase form trying to buy one bottle (dummy order) for $14.99 + tax and there was no entry form for the DM.

Guess the hit only applies to the 12 bottle offer? Any guidance from folks who did it last year (can't remember if this was a member).
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by drbobguy
I think what I'm gonna do is order something for under a dollar, than call and try to get a CSR to bump the order up to $1.01.

But seriously, you're paying for shipping anyways, why not get a decent pen or pencils for a few bucks that you can use?

I think I'm gonna get the Parker Jotter for $7.99 (link). Solid stainless steel barrel and a great shape. Not too narrow like the Zebras. I used to have one but lost it. Great pen!
Yeah, but that takes all the fun out of the cheapskate method. How dare you suggest being practical?

Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
For Wine Insider, I only see that you can enter your DM # if signing up for the 12 bottle offer... went all the way through to purchase form trying to buy one bottle (dummy order) for $14.99 + tax and there was no entry form for the DM.

Guess the hit only applies to the 12 bottle offer? Any guidance from folks who did it last year (can't remember if this was a member).
Wow, sneaky. I didn't do this one, so can't help, but that's a tough one.

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:36 pm

I believe the only way to get the hit last year was the 12 bottle offer. It was my most expensive hit last year, but unlike many of the hits I got something good out of it. The wine was pretty good, and the corkscrew is high quality. Shipping was free. I think we kept 2 of the bottles and gave away the other 10 for office holiday gifts, which we have to buy anyway.

The only downside was that someone had to be home to sign for the delivery, because it's booze.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:41 pm

For Wine Insider, I only see that you can enter your DM # if signing up for the 12 bottle offer...
Yes it does appear you have to get the 12 bottle special deal, and not a single bottle. I think I'll do it anyways, as I drink a lot of wine and with free shipping and $7/bottle that's a pretty good price, cheaper than my local wine stores except for boxed wine.

One big caveat is the small print:

This order is valid in AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, IA, ID, IL, IN, LA, MA, MI, MO, MN, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NV, OH, OR, SC, TX, VA, WI, WA, WV and WY only.
I live in MD unfortunately, but I'll have it delivered to a friend in NJ.

EDIT: Also:

If you order one 12-bottle sampler, you get 1,336 miles.
If you value US miles at 1 cent per mile, that's a further $13.36 discount making it $5.87 per bottle with free shipping and a free (apparently nice) corkscrew. If you are at all a wine drinker that's a solid offer even if it weren't a GS hit.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
florist.com has a pink cascade boutonniere which comes out with fees at 35$ and seems to be the cheapest item
teleflora is even worse^ seems about 45$ with servicefees
hopefully some one else can find something cheaper?

Last edited by bryanwallace; Aug 31, 2011 at 6:00 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lkar
I believe the only way to get the hit last year was the 12 bottle offer. It was my most expensive hit last year, but unlike many of the hits I got something good out of it. The wine was pretty good, and the corkscrew is high quality. Shipping was free. I think we kept 2 of the bottles and gave away the other 10 for office holiday gifts, which we have to buy anyway.

The only downside was that someone had to be home to sign for the delivery, because it's booze.
I did the 12-bottle order last year, with a Groupon (a loophole they closed shortly after several people did it). I'm happy to hear some of our unused bottles may be decent wine, because so far they've been the equivalent of $5 grocery store bottles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.