DM shopping mall [master thread]

Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
DM shopping mall [master thread]

I've never purchased anything from the DM shopping mall. What would be a "qualifying purchase"? Could I, for example, buy a package of envelopes for $5 from OfficeMax and have it count? Also, what about the members that are listed in the DM shopping mall, but not on the official rules, do these merchants count (e.g., Target.com)

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm Reason: fixed typo in title
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The ones that are not specifically named should fall under the "skymall" category. Qualifying purchase will depend on the merchant so carefully read the terms and conditions of each offer. As an example, drugstore.com often has a rule that items from their partner, beauty.com, do not count, so a qualifying purchase would be shampoo from drugstore.com's main site but not shampoo from their beauty.com portal; or a couple of merchants state that purchases of gift cards do not qualify; or some of the service-related merchants (like book clubs) require a minimum purchase or contract. Read the T&C of each offer carefully and document it with screenshots.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Easiest is to buy a single song from Itunes, or a cheap e-book from B&N or Amazon if there isn't something you would purchase anyway that you can go through the Shopping Mall to buy and thus not have any additional cash outlay.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by dcpatti
The ones that are not specifically named should fall under the "skymall" category.

Not exactly. There are three categories of retail hits:

(1) One hit for an online purchase specifically from Skymall.

(2) One hit for a purchase from any merchant in the Dividend Miles Shopping Mall. This is where it's important to be careful about the terms & conditions since not every merchant gives miles for every possible purchase.

(3) As many hits as you can earn from merchants that are listed outside the DM Shopping Mall. These include Biscoff, Teleflora, FTD, 800 Flowers, Office Max, the wine clubs, and others.

The path for most of those is
Home > Dividend Miles > Earn More Miles > Gifts and Retail.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:41 pm

Anyone know if a situation like this counted last year?

I have $15 in amazon credits/giftcards already applied to my account. Can I go through the DM Mall and get credit for a purchase or would I have to hit $16 to be safe?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by wc4572

I have $15 in amazon credits/giftcards already applied to my account. Can I go through the DM Mall and get credit for a purchase or would I have to hit $16 to be safe?
Amazon.com was not associated with Dividend Miles Shopping Mall last year. I'd suggest reading the merchant details for Amazon.com on DM Shopping Mall to see if they say anything about the use of credits/giftcards.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
Amazon.com was not associated with Dividend Miles Shopping Mall last year. I'd suggest reading the merchant details for Amazon.com on DM Shopping Mall to see if they say anything about the use of credits/giftcards.
Wow. I knew that. Grand Slam has me too excited. I'll see if I can find anything on either page. Thanks for the help
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kochleffel
(3) As many hits as you can earn from merchants that are listed outside the DM Shopping Mall. These include Biscoff, Teleflora, FTD, 800 Flowers, Office Max, the wine clubs, and others.

The path for most of those is
Home > Dividend Miles > Earn More Miles > Gifts and Retail.
To wit, http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...les/gifts.html

I'll add that I don't trust FTD at all. I made a purchase back in May for Mother's Day, and when I called after waiting 6-8 weeks they claimed that my DM number wasn't on the order. As a result, it has been another 7 weeks (no points yet), causing the posting date to miss a US deadline for a x2 bonus. Perhaps others will have better luck with FTD; if so, more power to you/them.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Last year, my Shopping Mall hit was donating a tree (I forget from which merchant); it cost me $2

I bought an icecream scoop from SkyMall for that hit. I think it cost me something like $8.

One thing to remember with SkyMall is they will deny mileage if you try and include a coupon.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bosnyc
Last year, my Shopping Mall hit was donating a tree (I forget from which merchant); it cost me $2
That would be Gaiam. Recall that this option (the $2 tree) disappeared from their website during last year's GS -- but it's back now, http://www.gaiam.com/product/go-zero...-offsetting.do
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
That would be Gaiam. Recall that this option (the $2 tree) disappeared from their website during last year's GS -- but it's back now, http://www.gaiam.com/product/go-zero...-offsetting.do
They ship nothing, right? So I can use a random US shipping address, because I can't use my Canadian address, right?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by echino
They ship nothing, right? So I can use a random US shipping address, because I can't use my Canadian address, right?
I think they ship a feel-good certificate or some such (as well as putting you on the list for their hilariously hippy-dippy catalog), but do not ship an actual tree.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by beltway
I think they ship a feel-good certificate or some such (as well as putting you on the list for their hilariously hippy-dippy catalog), but do not ship an actual tree.
I didn't receive a feel good certificate last year.... Then again, that wouldn't really be very green (plant a tree, and cut it down to make the certificate).

Carsten
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by wc4572:16994136

Since last week I ve been using a gift card I got through trading back some items. Not surprisingly there are no miles posted on my account, since there is no charge on my credit card. Thus I doubt you can get a hit that way..

If any miles finally post by using my gift card, I ll update the post!!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Buy something from Amazon that you were going to buy anyway. But just use the mall to get there. Simple. In previous years I too bought B&N gift cards as well as Sears gift cards. As long as it doesn't say "no miles earned on gift card purchases" you should be fine.

I used an Amazon gift card to buy something from Amazon through the DM Mall link and the 30 miles posted. But apparently YMMV based on Nikolaos' experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.