DM shopping mall [master thread]

Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Buy something from Amazon that you were going to buy anyway. But just use the mall to get there. Simple. In previous years I too bought B&N gift cards as well as Sears gift cards. As long as it doesn't say "no miles earned on gift card purchases" you should be fine.

I used an Amazon gift card to buy something from Amazon through the DM Mall link and the 30 miles posted. But apparently YMMV based on Nikolaos' experience.
I was planning on buying things I needed. I just didn't know if I should disable the gift card balance for the purchase or not, especially if the balance is more than the purchase price.

I was hoping someone had used a giftcard to purchase through a DM Mall partner and were awarded miles.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:41 am

Programs: US,DL,UA,Wyndham,Hilton,IHG,Choice
Gift card purchases

There seems to be a lot of confusion and questioning regarding gift card purchases. Merchant T&C's often state "no mileage awarded for gift card purchases." But in my experience, this means buying the card itself, not buying an item WITH a card you already have.

Specifically, many merchants will deny mileage when BUYING a gift card. The reason being, you're not actually buying an item. You're depositing money so that someone ELSE can buy item(s) at a later date. All you've done is converted money from one form to another. If they gave you miles for the card... and you later used the card to buy something and got more miles, you'd essentially be "double dipping." I think THAT is what they are trying to prevent, since miles cost them money.

There SHOULD be no problems with REDEEMING a gift card, i.e., using funds that you already have on a gift card to make a purchase of an actual product. A merchant would be foolish to deny you miles for that. A gift card is as good as cash, since they already have the funds "on deposit" for you.

I would strongly recommend that you NOT try to buy gift cards and hope to get DM credit for them. (Last year, Home Depot allowed me credit for a gift card I bought for my father. It was the only store I remember that actually did allow that, and even that may have been a fluke.) But there is no valid reason for a merchant to withhold miles for a purchase of an actual item, that you paid for with a gift card.

Having said all of that, YMMV. Read the T&C of every merchant. Carefully. And then read it again. Lawyers are sneaky. It wouldn't hurt to ask in advance, and to document the details of the conversation in case you need it later.

Oh, and as has been commented elsewhere in this thread, don't try to use coupons in conjunction with mileage offers unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you have read the T&C and it says it is allowed. Remember, miles cost the merchant money. If you reduce their profit margin with a coupon, you also reduce the chance of getting the miles. Merchants exist to make profit, not to give away miles as pure good will.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by travelwolf
I would strongly recommend that you NOT try to buy gift cards and hope to get DM credit for them. (Last year, Home Depot allowed me credit for a gift card I bought for my father. It was the only store I remember that actually did allow that, and even that may have been a fluke.) But there is no valid reason for a merchant to withhold miles for a purchase of an actual item, that you paid for with a gift card.
Home Depot, Barnes & Noble and Sears were the only merchants last year that explicitly allowed miles to be earned from gift card purchases through the Dividend Miles Mall. I know B&N and Sears both permitted this in 2009, not sure about Home Depot because I never looked. But the info was listed directly on the merchant page in the mall before ever linking to the merchant site.

The problem now is that in the past year the mall has been completely redesigned, there are countless partner stores now and that info about gift cards (with a yes or a no to miles) isn't there.

For that reason, I would ignore gift cards entirely - including the three stores referenced above - for 2011. Thanks to Amazon it's a near certainty you can find something useful at an acceptable price anyhow if no other mall partner is of interest.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I just placed an Amazon.com order today for $30, with $10 on an existing gift card and $20 on my credit card. I'll let you know how many miles post.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by rachel645
I just placed an Amazon.com order today for $30, with $10 on an existing gift card and $20 on my credit card. I'll let you know how many miles post.
The miles will likely post, but you will not get a "hit". The Grand Slam starts on September 14.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by beltway
I think they ship a feel-good certificate or some such (as well as putting you on the list for their hilariously hippy-dippy catalog), but do not ship an actual tree.
Wait, then where did that tree come from that I found on my doorstep?

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:53 pm

Newbie for U.S. frequent flier, U.S. Dividend Credit card and Grand Slam promotion.

Will be receiving my card in the mail within a couple of weeks I hope. I just opened a frequent flier with U.S. Airways and enrolled in E-Miles.

Do I need to enroll in Skymall and Dividend Miles Shopping mall before September 14, 2012. Any bonuses for signing up?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Do I need to enroll in Skymall and Dividend Miles Shopping mall before September 14, 2012. Any bonuses for signing up?
No enrollment required. Just be sure to log into your Dividend Miles account at USAirways.com and then use the site's links to redirect to Skymall and Shopping Mall.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was doing a little browsing this evening to plan what I may purchase once Sept. 14 rolls around. I saw that Skymall sells Marriott Giftcards. Would those qualify? I could get an easy hit for some money I will spend at Marriott anyway this year.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
I was doing a little browsing this evening to plan what I may purchase once Sept. 14 rolls around. I saw that Skymall sells Marriott Giftcards. Would those qualify? I could get an easy hit for some money I will spend at Marriott anyway this year.
I'd start by looking at any limitations mentioned when you follow the link to SKyMall from the US Airways Dividend Miles web page.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 4:00 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by starflyer
Amazon.com was not associated with Dividend Miles Shopping Mall last year. I'd suggest reading the merchant details for Amazon.com on DM Shopping Mall to see if they say anything about the use of credits/giftcards.
Amazon aside, *buying* gift cards/certs sometimes doesn't count. Read T&Cs to check in each case.

*Spending* gift cards/certs, however, always counts... they are treated no differently than cash when paying for a purchase.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:52 pm

I got the 2 pack chap stick with free shipping from walmart last year for $1.94 and a whopping 1 mile plus hit. Looks like it is still there.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
UPDATE!!! My miles from my purchases on Amazon using a gift card posted today!! It took a little bit more time, but they are finally here!!

Guess that it won't be a problem to use a gift card to make a hit through Shopping Mall!!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
UPDATE!!! My miles from my purchases on Amazon using a gift card posted today!! It took a little bit more time, but they are finally here!!

Guess that it won't be a problem to use a gift card to make a hit through Shopping Mall!!
Just to be clear, your whole purchase was paid for using a gift card, correct?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by wc4572:17046067

Just to be clear, your whole purchase was paid for using a gift card, correct?
Yes!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.