Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by jjfly
its cheaper to buy miles than the hotel transfer to get one hit
That depends. If you're only one hit away from another 20,000 miles, spending $50-$60 to buy hotel points and get that final hit is a deal.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
Don't count on that. USDM is aware of the problem because those of us who have 6 OTHER hotel stays and want to make sure our Choice transfer counts as a transfer and not a 7th hotel stay have already requested the amendment. They could at some point write a script to automatically change the wording of the Choice transfers....or they may not. It's a gamble.
Is the thought here that when they take away the miles that originally posted, they will not also take away a hit? I'm assuming they will. I had my choice transfer manually corrected. In addition to adding the 1,000 miles and changing it to a conversion, this also happened:

9/xx/2011 10/xx/11 ADJUSTMENT CHOICE PRIVILEGES MILEAGE AWARDS

I'm assuming this means that I will be increased one transfer hit and decreased one stay hit.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
The summary at the front does not mention this - so I became brave and am asking this question - can i transfer my hhonors points to my wife's DM account?

- naroowal
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by lkar
Is the thought here that when they take away the miles that originally posted, they will not also take away a hit? I'm assuming they will. I had my choice transfer manually corrected. In addition to adding the 1,000 miles and changing it to a conversion, this also happened:

9/xx/2011 10/xx/11 ADJUSTMENT CHOICE PRIVILEGES MILEAGE AWARDS

I'm assuming this means that I will be increased one transfer hit and decreased one stay hit.
No, all they did was change the text to read: CONVERSION: CHOICE CLUB PLUS REDEMPTION
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
No, all they did was change the text to read: CONVERSION: CHOICE CLUB PLUS REDEMPTION
Interesting -- that's not what they did for me.

I got a new entry for "Conversion: Choice Club Plus Redemption," adding 1,000 miles. The old entry for "Choice Privilege Miles Awards" is still there, and then I got an "Adjustment Choice Privilege Miles Awards" deducting 1,000 miles.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by naroowal
The summary at the front does not mention this - so I became brave and am asking this question - can i transfer my hhonors points to my wife's DM account?

- naroowal
works fine^
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

I know it says it takes a week or so to post, but if I called in a PCR transfer a few days ago, and the points are still in my account, should I be calling around again?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by marshlight
I know it says it takes a week or so to post, but if I called in a PCR transfer a few days ago, and the points are still in my account, should I be calling around again?
Points get deducted from PC immediately, so if it doesn't show that, they must have not done it at all.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by marshlight
On the topic of PC transfers, I'm still struggling to see this hit's value. People say PC is a no-brainer if you have lots of points, but it's actually pricey: 10,000 PC gets two hotel nights (PointBreaks). Are two nights worth forfeiting for one hit? I know PC points are easier to come by than other hotel points, but cost of points shouldn't determine transfers' worthiness. Value does. And the value of 10,000 PC is two hotel nights. Am I loopy? Wouldn't you rather shell out 40 bucks for unnecessary Teleflora than hand over enough points for two hotel nights? (For those who reject Teleflora but press the PC button.) And this is actually more true of PC than some other hotel transfers, because PointBreaks go farther.

Last edited by NewArrival; Nov 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm Reason: because
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NewArrival
On the topic of PC transfers, I'm still struggling to see this hit's value. People say PC is a no-brainer if you have lots of points, but it's actually pricey: 10,000 PC gets two hotel nights (PointBreaks). Are two nights worth forfeiting for one hit? I know PC points are easier to come by than other hotel points, but cost of points shouldn't determine transfers' worthiness. Value does. And the value of 10,000 PC is two hotel nights. Am I loopy? Wouldn't you rather shell out 40 bucks for unnecessary Teleflora than hand over enough points for two hotel nights? (For those who reject Teleflora but press the PC button.) And this is actually more true of PC than some other hotel transfers, because PointBreaks go farther.
The people that say it's a no-brainer are likely those with huge points balances.

I'm not one of those people, and am on the fence with burning 10k points for a hit - I really don't want to do it, but 20k US miles is worth more to me than 10k PC points, and if this is the hit that gets me over a hit threshold, I'm willing to sacrifice them.

It also helps that I've got a "earn 80k PC points with credit card signup" flyer sitting on my coffee table.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
People say PC is a no-brainer if you have lots of points, but it's actually pricey: 10,000 PC gets two hotel nights (PointBreaks).
Not all of us have the good fortune of PointBreaks working out for us.

For my redemption patterns, 10k PC = about $43. They turn into 2k US miles which very conservatively are worth $20. So the hit costs $23. Not so bad, really.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Stop struggling Its a no-brainer in some occasions, not all. You need to be above 24 hits or need it as a threshold hit below AND be out of other cheap options. So of course we need to value it. If you know the trick to buy 10k for 60$, we use this as brut cost. It does then NOT matter at all whether you can get 2 PB nights. As noted that doesnt fit everyone, and could also close anytime. If you dont want to burn, just buy 10k for GS purpose. It givs 2k US, which I roughly value at 1.5 cpm = 30$. Hit cost 30$. Lots of people are struggling with hotel stay hits, always more expensive than this (unless work paid), many also struggling with car-rentals or US specific hits like CCs.

An advantage of this hit is that unless you try to cross transfer, its guaranteed. No need to chase, risk of foul-balls etc.

BTW Teleflora min is not 40, but 45$.

Also PC points are the easiest to earn, lots of great options so a PC transfer really makes sense for many.

When you add the awesome trick of using a 5k code, its 100% a no brainer for EVERYONE Deposit a 5K to your acct which is set up to earn US miles, and the 5k transfers to 1250 US. Better ratio than a regular transfer@:-)

Net cost 10$^

Originally Posted by vysean
The people that say it's a no-brainer are likely those with huge points balances.

I'm not one of those people, and am on the fence with burning 10k points for a hit - I really don't want to do it, but 20k US miles is worth more to me than 10k PC points, and if this is the hit that gets me over a hit threshold, I'm willing to sacrifice them.

It also helps that I've got a "earn 80k PC points with credit card signup" flyer sitting on my coffee table.
As above due to easy access to promos (last year you got 10k just for signing up for e-mail from PC on CTC promo), I have done 10k transfer with even low balances.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:15 am

Duplicate
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:18 am

While I agree generally that the value of hotel points should be determined by the value of how you use them, that principle doesn't really apply when they can be purchased in unlimited quantities, as pc points can. Whether your balance is 10,000 or 10,000,000, you can purchase another 10k worth of pc for a hit for $60 and your balance isn't affected.

Put another way, if you truly value pc points as worth more than .6 cents, you can purchase as many as you can afford whenever you want.

So I view this hit as costing $60 minus however much you value 2k miles. For me personally, this makes it just barely worth it for a hit above number 28 if one is left with no better options. I actually think teleflora is a cheaper hit, because it cost $45 minus the value of the few hundred miles you get from teleflora minus the value to you of the merchandise you receive. (Then, of course there is also the incremental value between charging $60 and $45 on your favorite rewards card. :0) )
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
When you add the awesome trick of using a 5k code, its 100% a no brainer for EVERYONE Deposit a 5K to your acct which is set up to earn US miles, and the 5k transfers to 1250 US. Better ratio than a regular transfer@:-)

Net cost 10$
Could you run that by me again? Since my first redemption attempt appears to be a nonstarter on PCR's part, maybe I can revise my strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.