Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
If you are doing the Amtrak CC, don't they also require a minimum of $200 spend on Amtrak in order to be able to transfer points, or am I losing my mind (keeping in mind the fact that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive)?

Mike
Yes indeed Mike you are correct. But for me it works as I'm doing $230 of travel on Amtrak in October. Just waiting for my card to arrive to book it on the Amtrak card. But yes for most people this is not a good hit to get.

Although the Amtrak card I believe is a great card. No annual fee, and $3000 in spend gets you 3000 points, which is one way on the NE corridor Washington to Boston. That's 12,500 airline miles for a similar flight, which may or may not be faster since the train stops at intermediate stops. So if you're like me and going to a midway point between major cities the train is even better.

Okay, sorry to be off-topic.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
I don't actively participate with Best Western so I can't confirm, but according to their website (Rewards Home/Membership Benefits/Questions & Answers), FAQ # 24, it looks like you can buy 1,000 points for $10 (max 10,000 points). No language about this being available for elite members only.

"24. Q. Can I purchase Best Western Rewards Points?
A. Yes. Best Western Rewards members may purchase 1,000 points for $10 (maximum of 10,000 points per transaction). To process your request, please email our Customer Service team today."

Rob, unless someone confirms this FAQ is incorrect, could you perhaps update the OP? Thanks
Done (and mentioned status matching).
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:35 am

I just logged into topguest via facebook and there was a link to get 500 bonus best western miles, if you join the program via the link. Also I think you still get the 50 for registering the program on in. So 550 points closer to a hit. You can also get 50 priority club, and 50 Hilton for registering those programs, I don't know if the others have join bonuses because I had already registered them .
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

As of 8/28, La Quinta is listed as a transfer hit.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
As of 8/28, La Quinta is listed as a transfer hit.
Where do you see this? It's listed as a stay hit, but not a transfer hit.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewArrival
On the terms and conditions page, not the rules page.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:17 pm

Aha, yup. Maybe sometime soon the rules page and conditions page will match each other. Hmph. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
rob_flies_ua, thank you for keeping the first post updated! Greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:49 pm

For Canadians, MBNA has no-fee Best Western (20K bonus) and Choice (8K bonus) cards on first use. Does it make sense to convert these to dividend miles for hits or is it better to take the one night bonus? I don't see myself ever actually earning free nights in these hotels as I do more of the hostel stays than hotel stays. I also have 10K Marriott points from the Chase visa (Canada) which is certainly not enough for a night anywhere, so would it make sense to convert this as well?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by NewArrival
But US isn't listed as a trade partner on the La Quinta site.

http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/nmembers/airline.jsp

That one would be gettable via E-Rewards if it works out.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drbobguy
Okay after looking into this I've found that for me it makes basically no sense to try to fill up any of these accounts with other FF programs or AMEX MR points.

[...]

So it seems to me the value here is for people with lots of hotel points already that they don't plan on using, and also people with the AMEX SPG card.
Not sure I follow you. It seems to me that transfers from SPG -- which can be done in amounts as low as 850, 1500, or 2500 points, depending on one's SPG status -- are a perfectly sensible option regardless of whether one has the SPG Amex.

True, low-level transfers don't earn the 25% transfer bonus applicable to 20K transfers, but we're still talking 1:1. And while SPG points are worth more than US miles, the modest loss in value would be more than made up by using such a transfer as one's 4th/8th/12th/etc. hit to reach a reward level.

So what am I missing here?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki

When I logged into my La Quinta account it shows up as a transfer option.

6000pts for 1000 miles
10000pts for 2000 miles
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
La Quinta = stay but no transfer

Originally Posted by Tiki

And it's not on the hotel transfer hit list either! So, why is La Quintag in this thread? It's wrong and doesn't belong here!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by beltway
Not sure I follow you. It seems to me that transfers from SPG -- which can be done in amounts as low as 850, 1500, or 2500 points, depending on one's SPG status -- are a perfectly sensible option regardless of whether one has the SPG Amex.

True, low-level transfers don't earn the 25% transfer bonus applicable to 20K transfers, but we're still talking 1:1. And while SPG points are worth more than US miles, the modest loss in value would be more than made up by using such a transfer as one's 4th/8th/12th/etc. hit to reach a reward level.

So what am I missing here?

It might make sense to do the calculation in a whole. For me as a non-US resident it will cost me around 900 $ in order to get 100k miles (or I can purchase them for 1'475 $). I am not yet sure if I do the Grand Slam this year because the savings are rather small.

And yes, you are right, hotel point transfers are a bad business for the account holder
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

US Airways is indeed listed as (new) partner on the La Quinta Page:

It could be found here: http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/nmembers/airlines.jsp (airlines with "s" and not without "s" as in the other link)

There are two links on the La Quinta page, one is linking to a list witout US and one to a side with US Airways.

(and it is on the GramdSlam Rules page as well: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...slamrules.html)

Since US did not officially announce this promo on their own DM page and the promo has not started yet, I assume, we will see some adjustments on the list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.