Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by drbobguy
I've never done the GS before and I have no hotel points in any programs. What I'm wondering is there a good option to transfer AMEX MR's points to score some of these hits easily?
Yes, you can transfer Amex to Hilton, Priority and SPG I believe, but some transfers, especially Hilton, are so unprofitable it might not be worth it (10,000 Hhonors = 850 DM miles). All depends on which tier of GS hit it gets you.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I believe it varies by program. I transferred to other accounts from SPG, Hyatt and Radisson (Club Carlson) with no problems last year and earlier this year, was able to do the same with Wyndham.

I am not sure about the other major programs, and would like to know whether the above holds for Priority Club.
Great; thank you. I'll try the xfers early on and see how I fare. Then I'll report back here.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: All of em...
When I first saw that there was a hit for each hotel chain to transfer to US Airways, I somehow was naive enough to think that you would only have to transfer 1,000 points from each hotel program. That would be too good to be true I guess :/
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: US, UA, CO, AA, Delta
Hi,
I'd love to get some hits for the hotel transfers but I have barely any hotel points (78 Hyatt, 924 SPG). I do have some airline miles (listed below) and will have 50K Sapphire reward points when they post.

What should my next steps be to transfer the minimum # of points I do have into hotel programs, and then transfer them to DM for hits? Or is the conversion loss just not worth it in the end?

Also, I only belong to Hyatt, SPG, PC, and Marriott. Are there any promos for miles to sign up for other hotel programs?

BA - 106K
US - 40 (just redeemed a 120K F LH award ticket)
AA - 155K (not posted yet from 2 Citi offers)
Sapphire - 50K (not posted yet)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by ramkashyap
Can I earn hits if I transfer hotel points from my friend's account (hilton, marriott, best western etc) to my DM account?
Or should I transfer the points from MY hotel account only, to earn the hit.
Originally Posted by dingo
For hotel transfers, can I transfer hotel points from my account with the loyalty programs to the DM account of my wife or daughter? I forget if I did this last year or not. Basically, must the names match on the accounts on both sides of the transaction?
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I believe it varies by program. I transferred to other accounts from SPG, Hyatt and Radisson (Club Carlson) with no problems last year and earlier this year, was able to do the same with Wyndham.

I am not sure about the other major programs, and would like to know whether the above holds for Priority Club.
This is all great info. I wonder if we could get the answers for each program and ask the OP to put them in the OP? It would facilitate trading, whether in a designated thread or CC.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mikeef
This is all great info. I wonder if we could get the answers for each program and ask the OP to put them in the OP? It would facilitate trading, whether in a designated thread or CC.

Thanks,
Mike
I'd be happy to update the OP with confirmations of which programs allow different-name transfers. I remember one case last year where someone's different-named transfer was actually reversed after the fact.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:43 pm

Best Western Transfer

I don't actively participate with Best Western so I can't confirm, but according to their website (Rewards Home/Membership Benefits/Questions & Answers), FAQ # 24, it looks like you can buy 1,000 points for $10 (max 10,000 points). No language about this being available for elite members only.

"24. Q. Can I purchase Best Western Rewards Points?
A. Yes. Best Western Rewards members may purchase 1,000 points for $10 (maximum of 10,000 points per transaction). To process your request, please email our Customer Service team today."

Rob, unless someone confirms this FAQ is incorrect, could you perhaps update the OP? Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
I don't actively participate with Best Western so I can't confirm, but according to their website (Rewards Home/Membership Benefits/Questions & Answers), FAQ # 24, it looks like you can buy 1,000 points for $10 (max 10,000 points). No language about this being available for elite members only.

"24. Q. Can I purchase Best Western Rewards Points?
A. Yes. Best Western Rewards members may purchase 1,000 points for $10 (maximum of 10,000 points per transaction). To process your request, please email our Customer Service team today."

Rob, unless someone confirms this FAQ is incorrect, could you perhaps update the OP? Thanks
In addition, they will match your ELITE status in any other hotel loyalty program, FREE of charge.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:20 pm

Okay after looking into this I've found that for me it makes basically no sense to try to fill up any of these accounts with other FF programs or AMEX MR points.

For example, 6,000 AA miles can be transfered for 10,000 HHonors points, which then can become 850 US Miles for the hit. But you're losing 5,150 total airline miles (if you value AA miles and US miles equally), for a hit that nets you 5,000 miles. Not worth it for me. I guess it could work if you really need that last hit in a group of four.

Likewise 7500 AMEX MR points become 2500 SPG starpoints, which can become 2500 US Miles. But you "lost" the opportunity cost of 5000 Continental miles, or Aeroplan, or 7500 Delta miles. Again this is a wash for me.

Another example, 10,000 Amex MR points become 10,000 Priority Club points, which become 2,000 US miles. (Opportunity cost 8,000 CO/ANA/etc. miles).

And just glancing at the first page, none of the purchases (except priority – see below) for hotel points make much sense considering how cheap you can buy US miles anyways.

So it seems to me the value here is for people with lots of hotel points already that they don't plan on using, and also people with the AMEX SPG card.

For most of the rest of us these hits don't seem worthwhile, except in a situation where you really need a fourth hit in a group of four and there are no alternatives.

These are the exceptions I can find so far:

1) One interesting exception. 5000 CO miles -> 5000 Amtrak AGR points -> 15000 Choice points -> 3000 US Miles. Plus 5,000 for the hit and you turned 5000 CO miles into 8000 US miles.

You need to have an Amtrak credit card or elite status though.

2) Buy priority club points. $60 for 10,000 –> 2,000 US miles plus 5,000 for the hit, so 7,000 miles for $60.

But the big conclusion for me is that these make marginal economic sense ONLY once you get into the 5000 miles per hit territory. So I won't be really looking into any of these for the first month or so of the GS.

Last edited by drbobguy; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm Reason: More info
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:52 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by louie-m
Probably not much help to you, but you can transfer Amex MR point to Club Carlson if you are in the UK.
Possible in Germany as well. Minimum is 1000 MR, that equals to 2000 Club Carlson points. Needs up to 42 days.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Carlson and Wyndham points needed

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Possible in Germany as well. Minimum is 1000 MR, that equals to 2000 Club Carlson points. Needs up to 42 days.

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have an Amex from Germany. I have used my Diners Club card to position/move points to all the other hotel programs, so I am short just these two. These two don't sell points and I didn't do the Discover America deal. Any other thoughts on how to transfer points into these programs?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Okay after looking into this I've found that for me it makes basically no sense to try to fill up any of these accounts with other FF programs or AMEX MR points.
I think that MR points are too valuable to use on MR-Hotel-US transfers. But there are other starting points. For instance, I have been collecting a ton of e-rewards. 100 e-rewards dollars equals 2000 miles or 7000 hilton points, or 4000 choice points, ... almost enough to make a transfer without loosing too much.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I'd be happy to update the OP with confirmations of which programs allow different-name transfers. I remember one case last year where someone's different-named transfer was actually reversed after the fact.
Thanks! And you may be referring to me in that example. I lost a Choice hit that was reversed and cost me my 36th hit (I had actually done one back-up, but a second hit didn't credit, either.). Ouch.

These are the exceptions I can find so far:

1) One interesting exception. 5000 CO miles -> 5000 Amtrak AGR points -> 15000 Choice points -> 3000 US Miles. Plus 5,000 for the hit and you turned 5000 CO miles into 8000 US miles.

You need to have an Amtrak credit card or elite status though.
If you are doing the Amtrak CC, don't they also require a minimum of $200 spend on Amtrak in order to be able to transfer points, or am I losing my mind (keeping in mind the fact that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive)?

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Club Carlson transfers 2K points to 250 miles. To meet the minimum 850 miles to get the hit, we'd need to transfer 8K. If you try to do this on the Club Carlson site, you have to say 4 x 2K - are we sure that will post as 1K miles and not 4 x 250 miles?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Club Carlson transfers 2K points to 250 miles. To meet the minimum 850 miles to get the hit, we'd need to transfer 8K. If you try to do this on the Club Carlson site, you have to say 4 x 2K - are we sure that will post as 1K miles and not 4 x 250 miles?
It would be nice to get confirmation on this. On the other hand, I have 80xx Carlson points and have no other use for them than this promotion, so I will try this on September 16th. I promise to report back with a result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.