Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Thank you, knew I forgot a program!

Noticed the hotel stay and hotel transfer threads were merged, does this make the most sense?
I was actually just going to PM a mod since it seems like there are slightly different strategies for stays versus transfers (although you can earn points by staying then transfer them, which I guess is the traditional way of doing things )
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
two options so far

4 x 61.60 $ = 246.40 $
=
4 hits, plus,
2k us miles (4 x 500)
12k us miles (30k wyndhamrewards points)
--> average cost per hit = 61.60 $, average return per hit = 3'500 miles

one hit = 70 $
=
1 hit, plus
200 us miles
--> average cost per hit = 70 $, average return per hit = 200 miles

both options easy, no hassle but too expensive
I am a newb here, so sorry if silly question. So you are renting a car to have it credit a hotel program, to then convert/transfer to US?

Wouldnt it be cheaper, easier to just either:

1. Rent and have it credit/hit DM. Just checked local airport, you can rent for about $25 to $27 with all taxes. DM also having a double up promo, so 500 miles per rental.

2. Just to buy the points required for the hotel programs?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by maksimfa
I am a newb here, so sorry if silly question. So you are renting a car to have it credit a hotel program, to then convert/transfer to US?

Wouldnt it be cheaper, easier to just either:

1. Rent and have it credit/hit DM. Just checked local airport, you can rent for about $25 to $27 with all taxes. DM also having a double up promo, so 500 miles per rental.

2. Just to buy the points required for the hotel programs?

I was talking about the hotel earning hits, not about the hotel transfer hits. That are two different things.

To your questions

1. Renting a car gives you a "car renting hit", not a "hotel stay hit". You may either earn US miles or hotel points per car rental but not both.

2. Buy points in a hotel and then transfer to US Air gives you a "hotel transfer hit", but again, I was talking about a "hotel stay hit"

ps: 25 $ per car rental is not bad, go for it!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:23 pm

Agree with those who urge splitting the threads. Hotel transfers are much different.

Last year, I tried to stay away from hotel transfers, because they just don't make sense to me, or if they do, just barely so. They are my last resort hits. The values just don't make sense to me on a lot of them and, in general, I really don't like having to give up points to get miles unless there's no other way.

I think hotel rewards really test how much each hit is worth. The way I see it, there are basically three ways to value hits. Some would say last year that, once you get to the higher echelons, each hit is worth 5,000 US miles. That's the marginal value, to be sure, but you could also make the case that each hit has the same value and thus 36 hits for 100,000 points means each hit is worth 2,777 miles. Then again, if you're stuck on 35 hits and have no other realistic option to get to 36, one hit is theoretically worth 20k. But generally speaking, the hotel transfer hits aren't worth it to me unless I have no other choice

For example, I value Marriott points pretty highly. Giving up 10k to get 2k miles, plus the hit, is not ideal, unless the only other hit I could get costs me more than the cost to buy 10k Marriott. Same with Hyatt and Hilton. Last year, hotel transfers were my last hits, except for Carlson, because that was so low. I did 1500 Starwood and 10,000 priority club, which I won in the anywhere challenge. Otherwise, the hotel hits are just too expensive. We'll see what this year brings, but I agree with those who say they need their own thread for issues such as the above.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Thanks to aztimm for splitting the threads back apart!
I've updated the original post to reflect the rules as of 8/23 that Accor and La Quinta do not count as transfer hits.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:43 pm

It appears that I have 7k Club Carlson in an account and I didn't even know about it.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any easy ways to get the last 1,000? I'd prefer to do it without a car rental, since, if I get a car, I'll use it for a hit.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I'm in the same situation. 7000 club Carlson points. They do allow gifting of points for free to another account. Looked for a valid signup bonus to create another account but no luck.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by stinger101
They do allow gifting of points for free to another account.
Where do you see the option to gift points for free to another account on Club Carlson's website? Maybe I'm just staring right through it. Or do you have to call in? This could definitely come in handy for those of us just shy of the transfer minimum.

UPDATE: Typed too soon. Found on the hotel's FAQ:

"Can I transfer my Gold Points to another Club Carlson account?
Yes, if you have the name or account number of another Club Carlson member, you may transfer points to that person by calling Member Services."

Last edited by NewArrival; Aug 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm Reason: research
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Best Western gift card

Sorry, realized too late the hotel tread had been split. Request for Mod to delete if possible.

Last edited by aglasgow; Aug 24, 2011 at 6:41 am Reason: sorry, wrong thread
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Carlson and Wyndham points

Does anyone know if there is a method to transfer points into Carlson and Wyndham? I want to use my car rentals and e-rewards for hits and don't want to use them for collecting points in these two programs. I see that it isn't possible through points.com either. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also- thanks for breaking the stay and transfer threads apart. Most appreciated!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Probably not much help to you, but you can transfer Amex MR point to Club Carlson if you are in the UK.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Question Hotel points transfer from other's account

Can I earn hits if I transfer hotel points from my friend's account (hilton, marriott, best western etc) to my DM account?
Or should I transfer the points from MY hotel account only, to earn the hit.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
For hotel transfers, can I transfer hotel points from my account with the loyalty programs to the DM account of my wife or daughter? I forget if I did this last year or not. Basically, must the names match on the accounts on both sides of the transaction?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 am

I've never done the GS before and I have no hotel points in any programs. What I'm wondering is there a good option to transfer AMEX MR's points to score some of these hits easily?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dingo
For hotel transfers, can I transfer hotel points from my account with the loyalty programs to the DM account of my wife or daughter? I forget if I did this last year or not. Basically, must the names match on the accounts on both sides of the transaction?
I believe it varies by program. I transferred to other accounts from SPG, Hyatt and Radisson (Club Carlson) with no problems last year and earlier this year, was able to do the same with Wyndham.

I am not sure about the other major programs, and would like to know whether the above holds for Priority Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.