Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (28 lie flat seats)

Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This versions is retired from the flett, United has two one versions of 752's with lie-flat seats. This version flies domestic routes. principally premium transcontinental service (p.t.s aka PS) and some hub-to-hub.

Boeing 757-200 p.s. (Premium Service) Configuration
  • 28 seats in United Business with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus with 36" pitch
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video-on-demand entertainment
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi

BUSINESS CLASS

Standard Business suites with 180 lie-flat seats and AVOD. AC power and USB ports are available.

The bulkhead seats are in Rows 1 and 5 and have wider footwells. Regarding these seats, note the following:

Seats 1 A/B and 5 A/B are subject to noise and light from the galleys and may not be a good choice for redeye flights.
Seats 1E/F and 5E/F have wide footwells and are separated from the galley.

Seat 1B (&5B?) has the deepest footwell but a direct view into the gallery.

Seats 1 E/F (&5E/F?) have about 1" less legroom than the other bulkhead seats with a bed length of about 5' 10".

The snack basket is often placed on the shelf in front of 1A/B and 5A/B.

All other seats have narrow footwells, especially the window seats. They have bed length of about 6'1".

ECONOMY PLUS / EXIT ROW SEATS
Row 21 (exit row) has the most leg space. The rest of E+ is pretty much the same.

ECONOMY CLASS
Row 20 (exit row bulkhead) is E-, not E+.

No longer in service, the standard domestic F (non-lie flat ) 757-200

For the other 752 aircraft, (now retired) see Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on an International 757-200 (16 BF)
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (28 lie flat seats)

Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Question Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (28 lie flat seats)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

By request, here is the next installment in our series of PSAs - Public Seating Announcements.

Today, we talk about the various versions of the Boeing 757-200

Boeing 757-200 Mainline Configuration

Note - UA is piloting a new configuration of seats for domestic 757s. For more information, please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-seating.html

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration 757-200 has 24 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels really tight. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the 757 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle. 6AB is in front of the lavatory and 6EF in front of the mid-deck galley, and SeatGuru notes they do not recline fully, though I don’t recall an issue the last time I was in 6E back in 2000 (I normally pick 1B).

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-16

I personally think 7D is the best Economy seat on the plane. I am rarely not offered a pre-departure drink when in 7D since they usually prepare First’s from the mid-deck galley directly in front of you. Legroom for 7D is infinite and 7E is exceptional (not as good as 8ABCF, but close enough). While you don’t get the pre-departure drink, 7E is nice as you can put your carryon next to you between the seat and door during flight (after takeoff and before landing, of course).

8ABCF are favorites since they have unlimited legroom and 17” width. The slide does intrude a bit on 8A and 8F, but not too bad. Also, people waiting for the lavs or just stretching congregate in front of 8ABC, which means at night when you sleep people can trip over you. No such problems with 7DE.

Rows 9 -14 are standard Economy Plus seats with 17” width and, at 36”, the best E+ pitch of any UA aircraft. Row 14 has limited recline due to being in front of the Overwing Exit, so these should be the E+ seats of last resort.

The Overwing Exit rows, 20 and 21, are very good. Pitch is quite generous (about as good as 8DE), though 20 has limited recline (21 is full). If you can’t get 8ABC (or don’t want to deal with traffic), Rows 20 and 21 are excellent alternatives.

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-40

If there is such a thing as Purgatory on Earth, it is a full Economy cabin on a 757. With 17” width and 31” pitch, you’re packed in pretty tight back here. All the seats are equally poor, so if you’re relegated back here, take a window seat and an Ambien.

Boeing 757-200 p.s. (Premium Service) Configuration

Note: I have yet to try this configuration, so I am going from FT reports and Seatguru.

FIRST CLASS

United installed twelve Singapore Airlines lie-flat Spacebeds in the forward cabin. These seats are 21.5” wide and have fully-electric adjustment. Pitch is listed at 68”. 1AB have the same cutout which you may or may not be allowed to store a bag under (I have yet to see it allowed on a mainline flight). The seats have an enclosure around the head (kind of like the First Suite, but taller) and an adjustable side panel for privacy. A closet is between the lavatory/galley and Row 3, which helps reduce noise and smell. Instead of the in-seat IFE system found on SQ, UA gives each passenger a portable Digial Audio/Video player. There are also the CRTs in the cabin and noise-canceling headphones. There is also a three-plug (?) 110VAC power port in each seat.

BUSINESS CLASS

It appears that UA installed seats similar to the Business Class found on their 747-400 fleet with 20.5” width and 54” pitch. They are covered in leather instead of cloth. 5AB are in front of Door 2L and there are reports 5A cannot fully extend due to the slide. They also have the galley to their immediate right. 6CD has the galley in front of it, but evidently has no legroom issues. Row 9 is behind the two Overwing Exits, so it has some four feet of legroom in addition to 9A and 9D having no issues with the slide like 5A. Like in First, IFE is the Digial Audio/Video player and headphones, in addition to the overhead monitors. And each seat has a three-plug (?) 110VAC power port.

Row 11 recently received kudos. Window watchers will like 11A thanks to four windows. Behind seats 11 A and B / 11 C and D is a hard cabinet which sits at just the correct height to put stuff on. You can reach between the seats and set all of the items you receive (amenity kit, DVD player, DVDs, etc.). Legroom is also good even when Row 10 is fully reclined.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 15-26

The good news is that the p.s. configuration of the 757 has only Economy Plus. The bad news is that the pitch is only 34”, vs. 36” on the mainline configuration. Each set of three seats has two three-plug (?) 110VAC power ports. Seat width is 17” and entertainment is via the overhead monitors with no complimentary noise-cancelling headsets.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 3, 2012 at 8:40 am Reason: updated 757 Y cabin row numbering
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
757 FC: Row 1AB or 6ABCD???

These are the only options left to me on an upcoming flight. Personally, I would rather have full legroom than full recline. Any insight would be appreciated.

------------------
United Premier
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1B is my favorite FC seat on the 757. There is a small cutout so you get about 40-41", you have a perfect view into the FC galley (so service is always 100% attentive), and as a laptop user, plenty of room.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm with SEA_Tigger on this one...1AB is the best FC seat on 757, IMHO. There seems to be more room than 1CD.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:51 am

1CD seems to have really bad leg room. Also, I agree that bulkheads are great because you don't have someone reclining into you.

------------------
United Premier
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm w/ the 1B folk. Cut-out handy. I was switched (forgot I had 1B reserved) to 2B & I envied the person who had my 1B all the way from LAX-ORD.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:08 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kevanyalowitz:
1CD seems to have really bad leg room. Also, I agree that bulkheads are great because you don't have someone reclining into you.

</font>
I've had 1C-D before and they suck...no legroom...WORST seats in the front cabin on a 757..

[This message has been edited by GeorgeJ (edited 06-08-2003).]
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I agree with the 1A/B selection. I always try to get those on a 57.

If you get the last row, here are your options. 6A/B is in front of the lav - door opening and closing all the time and the sounds of the flushing toilet.

6C/D also comes with the above, but my favorite is the F/A's who have to chop the ice bags with their mallet throughout the flight. Just when you think it's safe - bang bang bang in back of your head. Very noisy and annoying.

Enjoy.

Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:28 am

Well, I went ahead and took 1A, I hope you are right!

------------------
United Premier
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:49 am

A quick change:
1A or 2D??? If the legroom in 1A is ANYTHING like 1D, I would rather have 2D.

Any quick comments would be great so I can confirm the seat.

KSY

------------------
United Premier
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I differ somewhat on the 1A/1B enthusiasm.

There may indeed be more legroom, but I find staring at that bulkhead to be really claustrophobic.

Give me a seat further back any time so that I can at least feel the expansiveness of the F cabin.

(Strangely, I don't feel claustrophobic in row 1 on an Airbus or 737.)

I usually take row 2.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kevanyalowitz:
A quick change:1A or 2D? If the legroom in 1A is ANYTHING like 1D, I would rather have 2D.</font>
1AB have a cutout under the bulkhead, which give you 40-41" of room. I am 6' 2" and find it plenty. 1CD have no cutout so you get the straight 38" and it is darn tight. On an empty 757 I was 1C and moved back to 6C during the flight just to get some legroom.

2-6 are 38", but you get an extra inch or so of underseat space (the entertainment system boxes extend across the seat and block most foot space). And someone who reclines back will intrude on your space, as well.

I still recommend you keep 1A.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
1AB! Cut-out space & someone not leaning back into you. I felt much more claustraphobic when I got shifted to 2B & the person leaned back than I do w/ a bulkhead in front of me. And while you don't have space underneath you in row 1, having the electric thingy in the middle on subsequent rows means you almost have no space anyway.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jun 9, 2003, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Given that most 757s run 2 or 2.5 hour flights domestically (and so recline isn't so much an issue for me in that shorter time frame), I'm all for 6 ABCD in FC because it's closest to the way out at the end of the flight. Door 2L at row 9 is always used as the way in and out of a 757.

------------------
Brian/\/\
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:38 pm

Kevin,

If you want full legroom, you should probably take row 6C or 6D. 1A&B are nice seats, and they do have the cutout, but they do not have as much legroom as the other seats in F. I'm about 5'9" and fit ok, but I can't stretch the legs out, but I can cross them in 1A/B. The thing I like about 1A/B is that nobody can recline into you. F seat pitch on the 757 is not all that great. It's fine when the noobs in front of you don't recline all the way back, but when they recline all the way back, it isn't that great.

I don't like row 6 and personally, I try to get 1A all the time. 6A&B are in front of the bathroom, 6C&D are in front of the service area. (Lots of ice banging goes on there.) If I can't get 1A/B, I'll take anything but row 6 on the 757.

Actually, if it's legroom you want, you can't beat row 16. If the flight isn't full and the center seat stays blocked, row 16 is better than F, for both pitch and legroom and the seat in front of you has limited recline. But please don't tell anybody else about row 16. The row is so wide, I can roll my stuff into the row and let people pass while I'm fumbling for my headphones and personal junk for the flight. You can only reserve row 16 if you are 1P or 1K since it is an exit row.

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 06-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 06-09-2003).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.