Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

7-10 December 2013 Washington DC-Area Travel Waiver (Winter Storm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum prom United Silver, Marriott Titanium lifetime, Hilton Diamond

I understand the policy concerning travel changes due to weather. My area of virginia is under a winter storm warning for all day tomorrow. There is a flight I could take today to get to my destination via Ohare rather than Dulles tomorrow but it departs in 4 hours and no weather waiver from UA. Anything I can do?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if you are within 24 hours of your currently reserved flight you can try to standby or same day change to the desired flight, or something else operating today. if you are not elite above gold SDC will come with a fee and will require fare class availability on the desired flight.

i expect a weather waiver sometime today at least covering IAD and probably some other cities too. i'm holding a DL reservation that i need to unload or change for sunday afternoon and i am going to hold out to the last possible minute to either change it with a fee or do it for free.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum prom United Silver, Marriott Titanium lifetime, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the help. UA now says all flights are full so guess when they put in the waiver of the flight does not operate tomorrow will handle at that time. Flying from ROA not lots of options on a Saturday
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missingPI
Thanks for the help. UA now says all flights are full so guess when they put in the waiver of the flight does not operate tomorrow will handle at that time. Flying from ROA not lots of options on a Saturday
yeah good luck i don't think you are going to get to Roanoke tomorrow especially via IAD. are you trying to fly a direct flight from ORD-ROA today (eg, are you in CHI now)? if so you may just want to go to the airport and stand by. you may also want to think about going to GSO or RIC tonight and just driving from there. sounds like it is going to be pretty sporty tomorrow.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Trying to get out of ROA to LAS.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:55 pm

I'm scheduled on a UA flight Sunday evening 10:10 pm out of Dulles. I don't see that happening, and wish they would go ahead and issue the waiver. If the predictions are even moderately accurate, it's going to be a mess.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if you are within 24 hours of your currently reserved flight you can try to standby or same day change to the desired flight, or something else operating today. if you are not elite above gold SDC will come with a fee and will require fare class availability on the desired flight.

i expect a weather waiver sometime today at least covering IAD and probably some other cities too. i'm holding a DL reservation that i need to unload or change for sunday afternoon and i am going to hold out to the last possible minute to either change it with a fee or do it for free.
That should be Gold or above. Gold does not pay fee for SDC either.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Travel waiver up for DC area today and tomorrow.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
WAS exception just posted

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
2 one way tickets

I have 2 one way tickets, SFO-DFW on Sunday and DFW-SFO on Tuesday. If DFW continues to have waiver on Sunday, would UA allow me to also change the other one way return? I am guessing not, since they are 2 different PNRs, but just curious if anyone else has run into this situaiton.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
A lot of afternoon flights out of IAD are cancelled, including my flight.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
That should be Gold or above. Gold does not pay fee for SDC either.
yes, i'm aware -- apologies to the OP for my poorly worded post re: free SDC policy.

still waiting on the DL waiver for the piedmont...*sigh*

double *sigh* that this came out after i had already canceled my SMF-IAD-GSO itinerary.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Wish they'd posted it a little bit sooner.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by exerda
Wish they'd posted it a little bit sooner.
If you had a ticket booked for today or tomorrow and you cancelled it or paid for a change fee I would call UA and ask them to notate the weather waiver on your PNR. If there is residual money left to use, you might be able to get a fee free change or refund.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
If you had a ticket booked for today or tomorrow and you cancelled it or paid for a change fee I would call UA and ask them to notate the weather waiver on your PNR. If there is residual money left to use, you might be able to get a fee free change or refund.
what i WANTED was to move the date well into the future. what i HAVE is a canceled PNR because departure time came and went with no waiver , there is no chance the will reinstate it IMO and i'm not going to waste an hour on the phone until someone reports success. at least they have put one up now I guess. still crickets from DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.