Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

41 passengers removed from plane due to bad weather/need to carry more fuel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

41 passengers removed from plane due to bad weather/need to carry more fuel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
This doesn't seem to be a "routine" IDB.
I fail to see where it differs from many other IDBs noted on this forum.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe DOT should require carriers to consider age as a criterion in the IDB bump order. But, DOT doesn't, UA apparently doesn't think so and frankly, order of check-in is likely to come way behind status, fare basis and the like.
Absolutely no need. Just ask for volunteers and make a reasonable offer, and the people who are happy to be offloaded will make themselves known.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Absolutely no need. Just ask for volunteers and make a reasonable offer, and the people who are happy to be offloaded will make themselves known.
True for SFO-OAK, but LaX-HNL more difficult.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is our situation.

DOT rules require I remove the last passenger to check in unless someone else volunteers in his place.

Is there any passenger with flexible travel plans this evening who could accommodate a passenger who is trying to return to where he defended our country on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor?

Please step up the podium if you can.
I'll bet someone would have stepped up.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:34 am

If they were following the rules then it was not the right thing to do-

I used to fly UA, not much anymore. I stopped flying them about 10 years ago after about 20 yrs of high mileage travel- The UA I remember would have made the right decision. After reading here I see they are not making too many friends-- I really enjoyed flying with them and was even considering them again until I started reading this blog.

I fly DL, AK, HA, KLM, AF mostly now.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I'll bet someone would have stepped up.
You volunteer a night in a hotel on us for someone who volunteered to take a bullet.....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I would bet quite a bit of money there is much more to the story that is not being told. For example, did the passenger check in late? Why wouldn't UA simply offload 3 bags to accommodate the passenger?

Something is missing here.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is our situation.

DOT rules require I remove the last passenger to check in unless someone else volunteers in his place.

Is there any passenger with flexible travel plans this evening who could accommodate a passenger who is trying to return to where he defended our country on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor?

Please step up the podium if you can.
I find attempting to guilt passengers into something is in poor taste. As was pointed out by another, everyone has a story. Publishing the personal info about a person is often something that makes the original person feel bad or even angry. The whole "Dec 7" aspect would fall apart when one looks at the calendar and realize that in all likelihood, the gentleman in question will still be there a couple of days before then. I'm sure he has plans for the next few days, but I bet some of the other people also have plans. It's a sad story, but guilting others either on FT, or at the gate, well, that is just a weak play. We all want the rules to not be bent arbitrarily to hurt us, but if we leave that ultimate decision up to someone who makes decisions based on their own internal upbringing and emotions, instead of a list of planable and published, if one flies enough, one might get shafted when they need to not be shafted most, dispute not being next on the "next to be IDBd" list.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do you know that UA didn't do just that?

The bottom line here is that there was an IDB and so far as you or anybody else on this thread knows, UA sought volunteers and either didn't find one or didn't find enough AND the veteran was the first in the IDB order according to UA's policy and thus DOT rule, someone was inconvenienced by 3.5 hours.

As noted before, once you start down the "social value" of individual pax and start letting individual GA's impose their belief systems -- even if DOT allowed it, which it doesn't -- you start a mess.

As a matter of policy, I also don't think that air carriers should guilt others. As noted, why make the guy flying home to see his father before he dies feel worse than he does because he didn't give up his seat? What about the guy who just wants to see his kids before they go to sleep? An evil person?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
UA LAX-HNL flight forced to reduce number of pax on board by 41 due to weather

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I would bet quite a bit of money there is much more to the story that is not being told. For example, did the passenger check in late? Why wouldn't UA simply offload 3 bags to accommodate the passenger?

Something is missing here.
Looks like A LOT (well, I think 41 is a lot for a 737) of pax were bumpled off the flight yesterday:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...u-bound-flight

The quote below is from the link above and UA's statement:

Thanks for reaching out. Inclement weather in the path of United flight 1226 required the flight to carry additional fuel and, as a result, reduce the number of passengers on board by 41. United agents in Los Angeles rebooked those customers, including Mr. Shatz, on the best available alternate flights on United and other airlines. We look forward to speaking with Mr. Shatz and the other affected customers.
Definitely a challenging situation for any GA.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Exactly, UA does not make reasonable offers anymore. If UA offered next flight to HNL and something more like a 500.00 credit and not the 100.00 that I have seen on this route. People would bite on this, as not all LAX-HNL traffic is going on vacation. Plenty of Hawaii locals who would jump on an offer. They should at least start at 300.00. The 100.00 I've seen lately is just a joke!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Looks like A LOT (well, I think 41 is a lot for a 737) of pax were bumpled off the flight yesterday:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...u-bound-flight

The quote below is from the link above and UA's statement:

Definitely a challenging situation for any GA.
Thanks for both the clarifier and re-title rwoman.

That's a huge GA nightmare and puts a totally different view on the situation.

FT, where an ingrown toenail can turn into brain cancer as quick as you can say T-O-D....

I still think the abandon puppies and teddy bears though.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for both the clarifier and re-title rwoman.

That's a huge GA nightmare and puts a totally different view on the situation.

FT, where an ingrown toenail can turn into brain cancer as quick as you can say T-O-D....

I still think the abandon puppies and teddy bears though.
LaserSailor - I'm all for being as accurate as possible with information. After posting the update, I also updated post #1 and requested the mods update the thread title.

FT...always an opportunity for lively discussion.

Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:07 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi rwoman and everyone,

Yes, the pax figure is accurate...there was quite a bit of severe weather over the Pacific yesterday, which meant we had to reduce the number of pax onboard by a substantial amount. Our agents at LAX noticed Mr. Shatz in the lobby attempting to check in for the flight and, after approaching him and offering assistance, proactively rebooked him on the best available alternate flight that could get him to HNL on the same day. As our statement mentioned, we’ll follow up with Mr. Shatz and look forward to the opportunity to welcome him on his flight back from HNL.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi rwoman and everyone,

Yes, the pax figure is accurate...there was quite a bit of severe weather over the Pacific yesterday, which meant we had to reduce the number of pax onboard by a substantial amount. Our agents at LAX noticed Mr. Shatz in the lobby attempting to check in for the flight and, after approaching him and offering assistance, proactively rebooked him on the best available alternate flight that could get him to HNL on the same day. As our statement mentioned, we’ll follow up with Mr. Shatz and look forward to the opportunity to welcome him on his flight back from HNL.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Aaron,

Thanks for the update - proactive efforts to help pax are always appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.